Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone -

I have two Great Danes and love 'em to pieces. One problem: when they come in from outside (and this will be a HUGE problem in spring), their feet are muddy. And that can get tracked all over the house.

In our entryway, when they first come in, I have some mats in place. So I try to distract them and get them to walk around a little. But that doesn't help a ton.

Plus, our back yard turns into an absolute disaster every spring and it's muddy as all get out.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this so we don't get mud all over our house?

Much appreciated,

Dan

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's an idea. I actually have a spigot right by the back door. I'll have to try. The only potential problem could be the younger dog, who tends not to like things which aren't her own idea.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
I have the same problem in the Spring. My little dogs I can jump put the into the laundry tub and wash them off but my big mostly Poodle crosses I just wipe their feet off with an old towel and it gets most of it off, but not all. If they are really bad, I put them in a crate for a while till it dries up and falls off.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Pave the yard. That is what we have done. We used cement slabs so water drains between the slabs. The grassed area is fenced off and off limits in wet weather.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
Dogs come into the laundry room (mud room), closed off from entering the house. Lots of absorbants on the floor, wall to wall blankets and even filled the room with straw to avoid having to wash the blankets so much, as the straw can be removed and replaced easily, also benefit to use in the yard. The laundry room becomes a short term holding area as they dry off first.

·
Super Moderator
3,354 Posts
Paw plunger. I bought mine off of Amazon. It basically resembles a large travel coffee mug, and it has bristles on the inside. I fill it with water and dog shampoo, and you basically just stick the dog's paws in there and "plunge" them so the mud comes off. I also have an old towel by the door so that I can wipe off the water. It does take a bit of training to get them to accept it, but its better than muddy floors!

·
Registered
549 Posts
My yard has turned into a muddy mess since we got our last dog, now that we have two who keep running around. My floors are disgusting, I just mop 3x the first dry day after it's rained... definitely not ideal.

I do like the 'paw plunger' idea but I doubt my newfie's paws would fit in there. I've thought of keeping rags near the door and just wipe their paws real fast before letting them come in to eat least limit the damage. I'll keep listening for advice (I could try the hose but I'm quite sure my dogs are a bit scared of it).

·
Super Moderator
3,354 Posts
My yard has turned into a muddy mess since we got our last dog, now that we have two who keep running around. My floors are disgusting, I just mop 3x the first dry day after it's rained... definitely not ideal.

I do like the 'paw plunger' idea but I doubt my newfie's paws would fit in there. I've thought of keeping rags near the door and just wipe their paws real fast before letting them come in to eat least limit the damage. I'll keep listening for advice (I could try the hose but I'm quite sure my dogs are a bit scared of it).
They make them in different sizes. I have a medium. I believe it goes up to XXL but I'm not positive. I bet you could find something!

·
Super Moderator
3,354 Posts
Our daycare sells these, but I have wondered how well the actually work. Are they worth it?
I like it. It's like a mini-bath, just for feet. We have that sticky clay that sticks in between toes and rolls into balls and makes the dog look like he has plates on his feet, and it works to take that off pretty well. You just have to remember to fill it with some water and shampoo before you go out, and then to empty it afterwards!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Paw plunger, what a great idea! I'll have to check it out. We had rain/snow mix last Thursday but to top it off our outdoor faucet broke and water sprayed all over our backyard for at least 15 minutes. Needless to say, a muddy mess. I've just been having both dogs walk over a towel when we come in, and yeah, not so good. My husband just laughs at us. Paw plunger sounds great.

·
Registered
549 Posts
It definitely looks interesting! Just probably too much work for me... My dogs go out 20x a day or something. It just seems like less work to just mop, lol.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is there any way to have a folding gate or barrier to set up in the entry to keep them there until you can clean their feet? We were trying to teach Newton (Borador) to "wipe your paws" by putting a treat under the towel and having him swipe at the towel with his paws to get to the treat which works for his front feet (he does tend to favor the right leg over the left though so that's the one that gets wiped off the best), but we can't figure out how to get him to wipe his back feet! LOL

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Good idea. I put up a permanent dog gate in my front entry that is actually used more for trapping wet dogs than keeping them away from the door. I can have dogs come into the garage from the back yard if necessary. Add a couple dog towels and a pail of water on the porch and you might be getting somewhere. I lay out the old towels on the floor so the dogs stand on them, catches most of the free moisture nicely then I'll pick up each foot and rub a bit more.

·
Registered
134 Posts
We always used mitt-shaped washcloths that you could wear on your hand and helped to really get in the nooks and crannies of their feet. Just walking around a mat is definitely not enough to solve a muddy dog foot problem!

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
A friend swears by those mats that are supposed to take all the dirt off their feet when they walk across them. They are fairly expensive so have not tried it myself. He has a German Shepherd and a Westie.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
A friend swears by those mats that are supposed to take all the dirt off their feet when they walk across them.
I have one of those. It definitely works better than just a regular mat. The problem is my dogs usually run across the mat at warp speed so they still get wet/muddy paw prints all over the floor. I've just learned to put up with it.

If you could gate the dog off so he's standing on the mat for a minute or so, that would probably help a lot actually.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I use car wash mitts. One on each hand. Wet for washing and
a dry pair for drying. The cuffs keep them from coming off your
hands. You can find them at Wal-Mart.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts