Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, this isn't so much about my dog, rather how to deal with ignorant (not harsh just generally people who have no idea) owners.

I have recently gained a qualification in vet nursing in New Zealand and I have just moved to Australia. There we go a little about me :)

In my travels and my relatively short time working in the industry I have become dismayed and upset at how many people just don't know. I believe I have reached my first hurdle in this thing I want to call my career. I want to know if other people have dealt with the same feelings.

A lot of people just have no idea how to own a pet responsibly. Even my own family. It is the same ol' issue of people not fixing their dog or cat because they don't think its necessary. Or getting your pet put down cos it wasn't working out. Or thinking that cereal is a good diet for your kitten. Or getting a huntaway for free from your sister and then finding out that is a barking working dog and you live in the middle of the city. Then thinking that its ok to have the dog tied up all day because you don't have a fence. I am sure most of you know the common issues I am talking about.
It just has me dismayed and feeling a little helpless. The sad thing is I was just as ignorant before my education. I cant lecture every person I meet, ( I know probably early career enthusiasm and wanting to regurgitate everything I have learned) and I know this feeling will pass and then it will just be harsh reality.

I am just wondering how do I deal with it in the meantime? Did anyone else have this feeling when they first started in the industry? How do I not throttle some people and take their pets off them(the really bad owners that is)? How do I not get angry at my own family for being bad pet owners even though they dont know better? I am not looking for answers as such but I am just wanting to tell someone!. I have moved country with hubby so I either tell him or talk to the dog/cat. However I thought maybe people here would understand a little better.

I am young I know and it is early days yet in this path for me, I am just wondering has it always been like this, or has the veil been lifted from my eyes?

If any one has had the same experience or similar. Please share, id like to know its not just me!

Just so its a doggy thing I will post a pic of my girl Indie :) 413059_422746614421230_2104312720_o.jpg

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Believe me it's not just you or where you live. It's all over. In another thread, I was just asking everyone's opinion (although only two wrote in it, thanks to them) about what I should do in our complex. I live in an apartment/townhouse complex and people don't care if they let their dogs roam off leash. Oh they're there with their pets, but what if the dog doesn't obey? A car could come. An aggressive dog could be in the area. A whole list of horrible possibilities are just waiting to happen. But do they care? Of course not and it's driving me nuts! I actually want to write a letter to the office and complain and I've never done that before.

Then there are the owners that house their poor dogs in all day, no exercise, no socialization. Or some take their dogs on a potty walk and it's back in the house. I do hope some dogs are being played with, but I highly doubt it. Those dogs scare me the most, who knows what could happen if they get loose! People should do their research before getting a dog, instead of just saying, "I have a dog." Great, do you play with him/her? Do you walk the appropriate amount with them? Etc. No, for some here. It's really sad. There are other things, but I'll stop there.

For your experience, I would politely teach them what's what. Don't put it in their face that they're a bad owner, but instead suggest that they could do this/that. "That's okay what you're doing, but try it this way it's better I hear." The worse they can do is not take your advice, but at least you've told them. I've never worked in a vet's office, but have been around dogs before. Sometimes people want to hear opinions to better the situation, other times it's not worth it. Or you have to go slowly on a situation.
--So that's what I would do. And like said before, you're not alone. People deal with it all the time. Just stay patient and be polite. People do listen. :) Oh and nice dog you have. Turvuren?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was just reading your thread and thinking the same thing as you! Thanks for your reply, it's not really talking to the owners that's the trouble, even though I have to Learn to keep it short, I love sharing what I know with people, even though sometimes it is really hard not to be rude. It is just the sheer number of people that has me astounded. I am left thinking how can people be so silly? How can they get a dog and not do some research. I guess I thought loving pet owners would be a little smarter then that. Having said that. I feel better even after just writing that all down!

Yup she sure is a terv. She's beautiful and she knows it.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
. . . I am just wondering how do I deal with it in the meantime? Did anyone else have this feeling when they first started in the industry? How do I not throttle some people and take their pets off them(the really bad owners that is)? How do I not get angry at my own family for being bad pet owners even though they dont know better? I am not looking for answers as such but I am just wanting to tell someone!. I have moved country with hubby so I either tell him or talk to the dog/cat. However I thought maybe people here would understand a little better.
I am going to mention that I might not agree with what your idea is of 'a responsible pet owner'. There are some items which you take issue with - such as it being irresponsible to keep animals intact - that I disagree with and others might have disagreements about other items. I DON"T think it is necessary to get a dog neutered - and in fact passionately feel it is the easy way out, which is fine if that is recognized and desired by the owner, but it also can be seen to teach pet owners to avoid responsibilities in pet management.

You have to keep in mind that each and every one of us has different ideas about what is and is not tolerable or responsible.

I will though comiserate and share that my most difficult days were ones where I found it almost impossible not to take children off of parents that should not be allowed children (abusive, neglectful) :( You can get downright full of dismay if you allow it. In every facet of life we have the very irresponsible.

All we can do is just keep helping those we can and influencing as best we can . . . and be confident in ourselves that our best effort is being put forward.

SOB

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
The veil has been lifted and what has been seen cannot be unseen.

You can give advice, just remember that honey goes down easier than vinegar. So start off with something positive, "It really seems like you're trying really hard [with that choke chain there], have you thought about using a clicker? I've had great results myself."

Or, "You know, Purina's pretty expensive, have you considered [much better, similarly priced food]? You actually feed less of it, so you'd be saving money!"

People like to be complimented, it's a great place to start and most people who aren't actively abusing their dogs (and a few who are) are ignorant, not evil. Yes, it is soSOSO frustrating, but ignorance is fixable. We're all ignorant of something, and even the things we know now, we were ignorant of.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Nope not just where you live either, not only are their ignorant dog ppl but just ignorant ppl in general, like those who think that my dogs are there for them to pet, mess with, & otherwise harass :/.

BTW you have a beautiful dog, by the way :).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts