Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone ever have any difficulty feeding whole prey, like emotional difficulty? I bought a pack of quail today at central market and felt so bad. It was a pack of four, and of course I wondered if maybe they knew each other or were perhaps related. Or a group of four best friends :(

Also with rodents and rabbits, I feel like I would be feeding pets to pets. I know all animals are equal but there is a difference between seeing a whole dead bird than just a chicken drumstick or something.

I really want to be able to do whole prey, but because I have small dogs it limits my options to tiny creatures like quail, mice, and rats. I know I can do it, but does anyone have any tips on how to get over the fact I am feeding him a "pet" animal?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Look into the rendering process that some dog food companies use. That should make you feel better. Or buy pre dressed birds or meat sources.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Take a little petroleum jelly and smear the bottom half of your glasses [J/K].

Watch the dog, not what he/she is eating. Max has eaten some stuff that was hard to watch. Llama head? Oh my. But Max was having the time of his life. An 11 year old dog eating for 45 minutes 4 days in a row?

And whole prey is completely optional, you don't have to feed it if you don't want to.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Take a little petroleum jelly and smear the bottom half of your glasses [J/K].

Watch the dog, not what he/she is eating. Max has eaten some stuff that was hard to watch. Llama head? Oh my. But Max was having the time of his life. An 11 year old dog eating for 45 minutes 4 days in a row?

And whole prey is completely optional, you don't have to feed it if you don't want to.
Not a bad idea! Lol. I will watch the dog though, I know they would love mice and other tiny animals even if I don't like feeding it.

Juliemule, you are right. I would rather deal with a bit of emotional discomfort than feed certain kibbles!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I dont like to think of the death of any animal. Pet or not. Its just part of life. But know what you are feeding aren't pets, like some dog food companies use horses. Then the controversial ones that grind up pet dogs left in humane societies. Quail or mice, probably treated and killed more humanely doesn't sound so bad to me. You are doing a great thing for your dogs, btw!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I really hope so.

Yeah from what I have read they are killed humanely. Even though they look like pets, much better than feeding ACTUAL pets!

Thanks everyone, I needed to be re-assured!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread, Lilas Mom. I've been wondering about this, too. I have the option of getting rabbits for Sasha but they won't be skinned.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just want to be able to feed as "natural" a diet as possible without feeling bad, so I was wondering what other whole prey feeders did. I imagine I will always feel a little bit bad, but it is outweighed by the health benefits, not to mention easier than frankenprey (IMO).

A lot of the sites I have been to have quail, rodents, and rabbits like literally 100% whole, head, fur, everything. I hate looking at the pictures of them too, usually laid next to a quarter for size comparison. We are still transitioning to redder meats so I have some time to think about it how to handle it though.

Although, as horrible as I feel about it, it will be sort of interesting to see my terrier eat a mouse. I wonder if she will shake it around like the does when she "kills" her toys. This may be something to feed outside, sounds like it would be messy, especially with the organs and stuff.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
How big is your dog? From watching cats, I know they don't make a mess eating mice---just crunch, munch, and down the hatch. Probably about the same with dogs. A larger animal like a rat or rabbit will probably be a lot messier.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I wonder if she will shake it around like the does when she "kills" her toys. This may be something to feed outside, sounds like it would be messy, especially with the organs and stuff.

Some people feed dogs in their kennels with no bedding and then wipe them out after. Others feed on a towel they can wash. I'm tempted to feed Sasha in the bathtub. She's gonna be a big girl. That said, she eats raw meat cubes out of a bowl and never makes a mess.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
3.5 pounds and about 6.5 pounds. I will probably just do towel or crate.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
The snow is gone now and all the dead mice and voles can be seen. Really dogs can't you just eat them and save me some money! And another point, NO they do not smell good so quit rolling on them.

Free food and they leave the bodies all over the property.

After having chickens, pet rats and mice, I learned they will turn on thier buddies faster than we can.

for small dogs plastic totes work great. Very easy to clean out afterwards. I like the bathtub idea. If the dog makes too much of a mess, it is already in the tub for a bath.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
Did anyone ever have any difficulty feeding whole prey, like emotional difficulty? I bought a pack of quail today at central market and felt so bad. It was a pack of four, and of course I wondered if maybe they knew each other or were perhaps related. Or a group of four best friends :(

Also with rodents and rabbits, I feel like I would be feeding pets to pets. I know all animals are equal but there is a difference between seeing a whole dead bird than just a chicken drumstick or something.

I really want to be able to do whole prey, but because I have small dogs it limits my options to tiny creatures like quail, mice, and rats. I know I can do it, but does anyone have any tips on how to get over the fact I am feeding him a "pet" animal?
I cannot, and will not, feed whole prey because of that. It turns my stomach, and there's something totally disturbing to me about the thought of thawing rabbit heads out in my sink o_O If I order a whole chicken from the butcher, I ask them to please grind it before I pick it up, and I get it the next day so they can do the job at the end of the day when the other orders are done. I've seen the effects that raw has had on my oldest dog (11 years old on Tuesday!), so I have absolutely no desire to change his diet. But I can't wrap my head around feeding whole animals, so I'm no help :redface: I've become pretty immune to grinding my own small parts (wings, etc) in my grinder at home, and feeding the other dog whole chicken parts doesn't bug me that bad. In time, I suppoes you'll get used to it because I used to turn green when grinding wings :)

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I just have to give props to those of you who feed any raw, ESP prey model. Like Jenny, I couldn't do prey.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks! It is hard at first but once you get used to it its sooo worth it not worrying about kibble ingredients.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts