Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi guys! i'm new here. thank you for giving a time to reply on my post. it is greatly appreciated.
my situation is this

THIS IS THE FIRST TIME FOR ME TO ENCOUNTER "DOG JEALOUSY" :s

All in all, i have 2 mongrels (these two are fine with the Siberian husky i brought at home a year ago, and are still fine with again the Siberian husky i brought awhile ago.)
However, my first Sib has been jealous based on my observation.
I thought it would be ok since Grey (my 1year 3month old husky) is very friendly. But when we arrived and I let him meet the new 2month and 1week Moja, he almost attacked her!
I'm trying to desensitize Grey from the presence of Moja (well, it is the first day so far), so I'm playing with him, but he seemed really jealous.:(

-he does not come to me as eager as before
-he does not take my treats as eager as before
-he makes "grrrrr" when I'm facing him with Moja

and he seems like not wanting to be near me when i'm holding moja. :(

How should i deal with this??
How long do they need for them to adapt to the situation??

Thank you so much!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Welcome! What is the dog jealous of? Another dog?You giving attention to another dog? Another person? Toys? treats? tell us about the dog, age, breed, neutered/spayed, how long you've had it, whether it is a new problem? If another dog is involved, it's history as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you for the swift reply spotted nikes!

Grey (1year 3months old siberian husky, has been with us since a pup just the same as Moja's age), is jealous of another dog Moja (the new 2month and a week old siberian husky, just brought home earlier this afternoon)
The thing is, the two mongrels of mine does not have any issues with having Moja around, but Grey seems to have a big deal of it.
He almost attacked Moja earlier this afternoon, and does the "grrrr" thing when staring at Moja.

I dont know, but Grey is a mixed breed. (husky-spitz) and Moja is a pure breed with blue eyes, if this kind of "breed" is an issue for them. :(

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Some dogs are uncomfortable with puppies. How is he if you hold the puppy in your lap with the puppy's butt towards Grey, so he can sniff it? For now, I would not let the puppy pester Grey. Once the puppy has had his series of shots (usually 3 sets done at 3 week intervals), then I would walk Grey and Moja together briskly for about a half hr twice a day. It'll help them bond.
Keep them separated unless you are there to supervise.
Breed shouldn't matter.

·
Registered
171 Posts
It could be that your puppy is displaying rude behavior and Grey is telling him that.

Watch them closely: does Moja stare at Grey? most dogs get offended at this. Do either one of your dogs yawn, or stick their tongue out (licking the air) ? Both of these are calming signals. IMO, I would watch them very closely. It could be that Grey has given Moja repeated signals that he is uncomfortable and the puppy just isn't "getting it" which therefore a growl is warranted.

There is a great book called, " On talking Terms with Dogs: Calming Signals." This gives great insight into dog communication.

And as previously stated, keep them seperated unless you are there to supervise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts