Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would so love to have an answer to this question ! Surely others have been in the same type of situation . I am asked to dine with friends , at their home, that have a standard poodle that is both smart and out of control . This dog is over a year old , well maintained and completely mishandled. It's allowed to steal food from the table as we eat , is treated as the center of attention and rarely , lightly and only verbally admonished for it's antics. I've refused several invitations in a row , which is beginning to be a problem for my husband , as his relationship with them is long standing - through several dogs, actually . Is there something I can spray on my clothing to keep this poor monster away from me ? It's grabbed at my clothing while my back was to it , when I turned and grabbed it's snout and told it no , firmly , it pulled away , growling , which brought the owner on the run . I'm guessing it's not the first time , or they wouldn't have moved with such dispatch. Trying to ignore it isn't working , they have no intention of correcting the way they " train" the love of their life .. and I have no desire to be around the dog , or befriend it . What options do I have to ease the strain ? Thanks to all ! ~S

·
Super Moderator
11,842 Posts
As you've probably already guessed, this is not a dog problem. It's a people problem. It turns out that nearly all problems involving canine behavior are actually people problems.

You most definitely don't want to grab a dog by the snout unless you're hoping that a severe bite will launch the owners into a reality check of some sort.

Some will say that you can gently and diplomatically discuss professional training classes with the owners. Personally, since the owners and dog are clearly a package deal, and the package is an unpleasant one, I would avoid all of them.

Why is this dog's behavior not a problem for your husband?

BTW, anything you spray on your clothing to repel a dog will likely repel humans as well.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
A lot of dogs don't like the smell of cloves. You can try putting clove oil on yourself (not on clothes), and maybe the dog won't go near you. We bought it at a specialty grocery store (kind of like Trader Joe's or Whole Foods). If you are interested in buying some, call around first to find a store that carries it. You will smell like cloves, no way around that.

This is what we used on our kids' shoes and hands to keep our collie puppy from nipping them, years ago, at our breeder's suggestion. It worked.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I would talk to the couple about the dog's behavior and explain politely but firmly that the behavior could escalate into something more dangerous. I would tell them that the dog's behavior is the reason why you have been declining invitations. Maybe tell them about the forum since there is so much information and experience from people that may have found a solution for the same problems.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I would talk to the couple about the dog's behavior and explain politely but firmly that the behavior could escalate into something more dangerous. I would tell them that the dog's behavior is the reason why you have been declining invitations. Maybe tell them about the forum since there is so much information and experience from people that may have found a solution for the same problems.
It sounds like they are okay with the dog's behavior. You can always get a headache and let your husband go without you. NEVER grab a strange dog by the muzzle unless you want to be bitten.

·
Super Moderator
11,842 Posts
they have no intention of correcting the way they " train" the love of their life .. and I have no desire to be around the dog
We had some friends that we greatly enjoyed. They had upwards of 35 cats - most of them were special needs cases that they'd pulled from several shelters where they volunteered.

We had dinner at their house exactly once. She is a first-rate cook, but the cats marching around on the dinner table and through the food was a bit of a deal-breaker.

Cut the cord. Unless your presence at the home containing this dog and his oblivious owners is a matter of life-or-death, it doesn't seem to be worth it.

I still wonder, though, why the dog doesn't seem to trouble your husband.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Maybe just saying the truth would be your best option. You are probably not the only one bothered by this dog's behavior. You might not have them for friends for awhile but in the end it is best to say the truth. Hopefully, when their other friends stop coming over they might get the message. Another option bring a big bone for the dog to chew on while you are there. Let us know the outcome and how you dealt with this situation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts