Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know how to handle the frequent canine "visitor" I've been having in my yard. This morning, a loose Rottweiler, wearing collar and tags, appeared in my yard for the third time - he started coming around about 2 months ago and has been coming more frequently lately. Willow went nuts, and I could see the dog hanging around the chicken coop, which is very worrisome to me. I suspect that he's been back more than the 3 times I've actually spotted him, because Willow's frantic barking (the bark she only uses to announce a strange dog) has been getting more frequent.

Each time I've seen the dog in my pasture and around the barn, I've walked out with a leash and a bunch of treats, sat down sideways and tried to get the dog to approach. No go. And of course, if I follow him, he runs away. We only have one nearby neighbor (the rest of the surrounding land is a nature reserve), and it isn't their dog; I would think it was a stray, but it's wearing a collar and tags. He is also very well-fed. ;)

What is the easiest way to catch the dog so that I can read the collar and contact the owners? I doubt that contacting them would stop the irresponsible running-at-large, but one can hope. At least it's a start and I'll know who to complain to AC about if the dog doesn't stay off my property.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
223 Posts
I don't think this would work in every situation but I have two dogs that often come and 'visit'. I now know where they live, but similar to you all I could tell to start were that they had collars and were definitely house pets judging by the bellies *smiles*. These two dogs are both showing up at different times and belong to seperate homes, funny thing is this is a nice street and I didn't expect to see loose dogs.

Anyways, back to the point. I brought my pooch out on a leash, while staying close to the door just to see the reaction... it was as it should be *smiles*. Happy friendly dogs, so I now walk Taylor and the other dog follows and I bring them back home that way.

So I guess it depends on your dogs and how you feel about the visitor you now have.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wouldn't mind the visitor as much if this wasn't the case, but I have chickens and I don't like the Rott hanging out by the coop - no idea what his intentions are, you know? The chickens are penned right now, but will be free-ranging later this year in my pasture, and I don't want this guy to pose any kind of problem.

I think he must be traveling a fair distance to get to my place, since I only have one neighbor and the rest is all wilderness. I don't know if I'd have the energy to walk him home every time to my NEXT nearest neighbor! :p

·
Registered
223 Posts
I think he must be traveling a fair distance to get to my place, since I only have one neighbor and the rest is all wilderness. I don't know if I'd have the energy to walk him home every time to my NEXT nearest neighbor! :p

*lol, no I can't see how you wouldn't want to do that. 2 months is a long time, and you say you see tags hmm... makes me wonder what the owner is doing for a fence? Do you feel comfortable bringing one of your dogs out to say hello, or is it too hard to judge if he's dog friendly? Even if he comes to say hello to your dog then got treats you may be able to read his tags.
Maybe you also might want to take a couple pictures of him next wandering too close to your coop, just to have on hand in case.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I would call animal control on him. I would be reluctant to catch a strange dog that didn't want to be caught. He could have rabies, be aggressive, etc.... You just don't know what you're dealing with.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd say it's definitely too hard to judge if he is dog-friendly. I say this because Willow and Bandit have that big outdoor "kennel" that they can hang out in, and they were out this morning when the Rott appeared. (I had just let the chickens out of the coop when he showed up.) He definitely didn't want to approach the kennel (although that could be because Willow was barking her head off).

The only dog that is completely polite to other dogs is Bandit, and he's so submissive that if the Rott started something, Bandit would let himself get beat up. Willow and Jasper are too forward/excitable to safely approach a loose, strange dog.

It's a good idea, though, and would work in certain situations to get closer to the dog.

I think a call to AC might be my best option. I don't know how to get the dog to stick around long enough for AC to arrive, though. Do I call now, or wait for the next incident?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts