Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We arrived at the seaside this morning after a tirrsome 14hour drive. We checked in at the hotel and then left looking for a good spot on the beach, which we found after about an hour or two. Once we settled the dog just snoozed the day away. It was a rather hot day and the walk before pretty much exhausted Sarma.

Come evening we went for another walk on the beach and took the dog with us, but this is when he started acting crazy: he barked at pretty much everyone that passed by us, being very reactive towards small children. At one point he lunged at a kid who was walking towards us. Happily the dog was on a 10foot tie-out, but he managed to send the poor child crying and running back to daddy.

He never really loved small children but this time he reacted very differently: he fixated having a stiff posture growling and barking.

And like this wasn't enough, tonight he pulled on leash like he never did before. He pulled even when we weren't walking and it took quite a bit of force to hold him back, even if he's only 10kg.

And finally, to make matters really worse there are alot of horse carriage rides around people take and Sarma is really reactive to horses.

All this time the dog is deaf and blind to me - he doesn't answer to his name, doesn't obey any commands, like I magically stoppped existing.

It's only the first day of our vacation but I'm depressed thinking I shouldn't have brought him along in the first place.

How do I deal with this? Please help.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
I'd start by accepting the fact that your quest for total r&r has now become, at least partially, a training mission. Try to approach it with a light heart, and gratitude for the opportunity.

suggestions:

Back up. Lower your personal expectations. Lower your training criteria.

While training 'on the road', use a higher rate of reinforcement. The dog likely feels out of sorts / out of his comfort zone by being in such a very strange place, and a higher rate should help to compensate, ... rendering him more willing to work under the circumstances.

Restrict nighttime walks if possible. Now could be a good time for some down time, time reserved for just you and yours to do some uninterrupted sightseeing etc.

Lots of extra play during daytime hours. This will help the dog to realize that he's not being pushed aside.

As mentioned earlier ... embrace the opportunities, and welcome the challenges ! ENJOY ! .. that way, everyone will go home with a good sense of accomplishment, and feeling refreshed as well. :)

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I agree with petpeeve... accept that your vacation isn't going to be what you expected.

Your dog is in an entire new place, with new sights, smells and rules. He is likely very unsure. His 'being deaf and blind' makes me think that he is really out of his comfort zone and doesn't know how to cope.

Have you pushed your dog too far too fast? probably. But dont despair, you can still salvage the time you have left and use this as a great training opportunity.

If he is acting aggressive towards children, do not keep him on a tie out. This is dangerous! Your dog can break his collar/leash, choke himself trying to get away and also, you can't control other people. A well-intentioned child might approach and you may not have time to get there.

As for the horse carriages, find one that is stationary. Talk to the handler/driver and ask if it would be okay to train your dog around the horse. Don't focus on action, focus on behavior. Praise and treat anytime he is calm or orients to you.

For pulling on the leash, you can try a few different things. Read the 'be a tree' sticky. You could also carry treats with you and see if you can 'lure' him along while walking.

Enjoy your vacation!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts