Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short Mr.Bubba was found as a stray by my brother. My brother had him scanned for a microchip no chip, No collar. So my brother " adopted " him. My brother and his girlfriend split up and my brother brought Bubba to my house about a month ago ... Bubba has been a outdoor dog which I cannot stand ! So I brought him inside the first night, he tried to mark everything so I spent the first hour following cleaning up with enzyme cleaners then at bedtime I put him in a crate ... I'm not sure if you have heard a Beagle bark but needless to say NO ONE got any sleep that night ! So after the night from hell and a long lecture from my brother about how he is an outside dog and i shouldn't be getting him used to that ... I bought a dog house new dog bed and secured our yard and bring him in during bad weather, My brother had kept him on a chain which I refused to do ! My brother had not paid for dog food any medical care or even the dog house I purchased. He has not even come to see him or me for over two weeks. so I've decided to convert this boy into a house dog start basic manners and get his vetting up to date, have him neutered so that he will be ready for a new FOREVER home. I need advice on getting him to were he needs to be. I converted Ozzy from a outdoor dog into a house dog but he never really tried to mark ( I had him neutered the week I brought him home.) and Bubba marks EVERYTHING when he comes in ! Bubba also can get a little " snippy " if Ozzy and peppa are playing together like he is jealous ? Maybe because he is not neutered ? Also how can we cut down on the howling in the crate ! Any advice and tips would be GREATLY appreciated. And to be honest I'm kind of getting attached to him ... snap out of it four dogs is not in the cards Ashley lol :doh:

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Aw! What a cute pup! Thank you so much for helping him out.

You really can't go from roaming the yard all night to all night in a crate in one day. It takes time. One of the forums here has stickies on crate training. Check those out for pointers.

As to the snippiness, the new pup may have bad dog manners, your dog may be jealous, or it could be that neutered makes sometimes react badly to intact males. I couldn't say without seeing the interactions. I'd supervise all interactions and separate them when you can't.

I can't help with marking, sorry. I've never had an intact male.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Strict NILF. Nothing in life is free. Treats, affection, play, dinner, etc etc.

Treat the dog as if he were an 8 week old puppy. He is never unsupervised. When you see him lift his leg say 'NO'. Pick him up and bring him outside and do not let him back in until he has peed. Praise when he does. The easiest thing to do is to get a 6-8 foot lead or nylon rope and tether the dog to you. Continue with your daily life, you just happen to have a dog attached to you. Ignore him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8HNO79bZMY Crate Games are FUN.

If you notice he is not 'understanding' the we pee outside rule, bring him to the vet, check for UTI. If not, a different training style will be needed, but I would give it 2-3 weeks of giving it an honest go before I'd 'give up' on the above.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Couldn't have said it better than those that have already offered input. It'll be a process that'll take a little time. I believe Jax was primarily an outside dog when I got him the first week of the year. Probably spent most of his time in the yard on a 15 foot line and his dog house, and when inside, confined to a travel kennel that he has little more than enough room to turn around in. He didn't give me too difficult of a time coming in, and he's now after less than 2 months completely an inside dog other than a half hour or so at a time on his run in the yard. The crate was the easy part for me...but I did have issues with him marking. Took 2-3 weeks of watching him closely when letting him roam the living room. Any time he'd lift that leg, he'd end up either outside or in his crate (larger one I bought for him, not the tiny thing lol). He's figured it out and hasn't done such in over a month, but it did take a few weeks to completely get over it.

The crate thing will simply take time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the advice ! I'm calling tomorrow about his neuter and will probably start the transition the day he comes home.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts