Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 10 year old golden retriever and we pretty much have kept to ourselves. However, we are moving in a week to a community with a lot of people. My dog likes to bark at anything/everything that moves, cats, dogs, people, etc... I got a gentle leader a couple days ago, but he still seems to manage to bark a lot. Any suggestions on how to control his barking?

For people that first try to pet him, he seems so excited and tries to lick and even may unintentionally nip/nick their fingers.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Hey there, it sounds like he might be an overexcited dog. Do you take him out often? Does he get a chance to play with other dogs? For his barking, I would teach him the "Quiet" command. You want to start off at home with no distractions, check out the many youtube videos that teaches "Quiet" and see what works for your dog. Once you got him being quiet on command, you can up the criteria and gradually expose him to more distractions. Good things happen when he is quiet, regardless of where he is. When you're out, don't let him have a chance to fixate, turn around the other direction and briskly walk away, don't pause for him and don't yo-yo tug him, just go. When he is quiet and you pass by even the smallest distraction, car going by, dog far far away, give him lots of praise and even a treat. When you meet people, tell him to ignore him first and wait for him to calm down; this means no talk, no touch, no eye contact. Do not let him approach the people himself, but instead get him to sit at your side and wait for him to calm down (stop wriggling, shaking, etc). When he seems calm enough, give him the cue "Go say Hi" to let him know YOU give him permission to greet. Never let him initiate the greeting, and ask the person to not reach out to the dog and let the dog sniff the person first. This way more of the excitement dies down, and when your dog is ready, tell the person to very calmly pet your dog. However the moment you dog open his mouth, take a step back away from the person and get your dog to sit back at your side again to calm down. Repeat the process, and give lots of praise for being calm.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
My normal (thought to myself) answer is that you've let the dog develop this habit for 10 years... it's part of his personality.

However, as Wicket wrote, you can "re-train" a Golden or a Lab, using the same methods used for a puppy, and they will learn the new behaviors... For nipping, the Sticky: The Bite Stops Here should work also. ... The singular goal of a Golden is to please you !

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
You could also try self control exercises. kikopup on youtube has a video called "It's Yer Choice", I think. It's a good exercise for controlling that kind of nippiness. Kabota is 3, I got him 6 months ago and had him trained out of nippiness within a month that way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.... Yes he is very overexcited when meeting people or other pets. Where I currently live, he doesn't have to worry much about others animal or people. However, I'm moving to a community/townhouse, and there's going to be a lot of interaction.

For the nipping, I'm going to check on that. I'm just afraid to let him close to someone because I don't want him to bite/nip anyone. Should I consider putting a smaller muzzle like a nylon one or something until he's more acquainted with the new living situation?

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Try The Bite Stop Here first. With an old Golden, he may learn quickly if you get the technique down. Otherwise, yes, I agree, it is going to be simpler for everyone to have a soft muzzle. You may also a little personality change... since he can't greet/play with everyone in the way that he's used to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am moving in 2 days, I'm going to try teaching him, but need a short term resolution while we get settled in. I love him and never muzzle him except at the vet and sometimes the groomer. He is territorial and protective. People think he's a vicious dog because of the way he barks when he sees them, but he's just scared and barks like a mad man. Is there a certain muzzle I should be looking for to walk him? I don't want to walk him around with a big cage around his mouth making him look vicious, because he's not. I see nylon mesh types of muzzle online that seem more suitable. I can't teach him without letting him see other dogs and people on a more regular basis which is about to begin very soon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts