Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mentioned this in another thread but I think it needs attention here.

Taking Eddee to the vet ... he barked beyond barking ... barked straight in the vets face ... not mean ... just anxious ... no biting involved ... could not stand still ... wanted to jump off the table ... had to practically hog tie him to myself ... I had to take him in the back room of the waiting area to keep him calm and quiet ... and walk him around in my arms to calm him. He was a basket case. :/

I am so grateful the vet has a sense of humor ... I did not so much ... as Eddee gave me a work-out trying to hold him still for the exam and bloodwork and a bunch of scratches trying to do whatever it was he was doing.

This is the first time I have had him to the vets since I adopted him 7 days prior to this appointment. He must go back for his final boosters on May 16th ....

How to go about training this problem without calming drugs? He is not like this at home. :/

Take into account he is estimated to be between 10 months of age and one year old ... only 12.3 pounds ... and he just lost a crowded baby upper canine tooth two days ago ... puppy stuff?

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Most common advice I'd heard for nervousness at the vets is to make frequent visits to the office where you just go in and hang out in the lobby. Rewarding for calm behavior. If he gets nervous before you even enter the office start from before he gets nervous. Gradually desensitize him to the vets being a 'scary' place. Work up to being in the lobby, being greeted by receptionist/vet techs, and if the vet is agreeable greets from them as well.

I know you say you live far out from everything so this may be more challenging as it isn't practical to drive out to the vet's office everyday/few days. In that case not sure what your best option would be.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Eddee looks like some kind of terrier. They tend to be a bit vocal, in my experience. You may want to train a "quiet" command as well. I had to do that with Muggsy. His GSD heritage had him barking for 10 minutes straight any time someone walked by the house. Once I had "quiet" trained, he stopped as soon as I said it. He'd grumble and whine for a while afterwards, but that's a lot less annoying than full on GSD barking.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks folks ... Good training ideas. Yes Eddie is a Schnauzer mix ... looks very much like some Cairn in there. I will start with the "Quiet" command first.

Not sure about being able to go to the vets to practice ... though wish I could ... as it is a great tool.

·
Registered
740 Posts
My puppy hates the slippery vet table, and it made her really nervous, so if you put a mat down on top so they have more grip, might feel more secure :) I also agree to take them to the vet for random occasions just to chill, otherwise they have nothing really positive to associate with the vet's office and just have haunting memories of being tied down for x rays, or getting poked by needles.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My puppy hates the slippery vet table, and it made her really nervous, so if you put a mat down on top so they have more grip, might feel more secure :) I also agree to take them to the vet for random occasions just to chill, otherwise they have nothing really positive to associate with the vet's office and just have haunting memories of being tied down for x rays, or getting poked by needles.
The mat is a great idea! I will be sure to take one! I did notice he was reluctant to being on the table... just wiggling and sliding around all over the place and wanting to "jump down" the more I think about it.

Sometimes it takes a pair of fresh eyes and brains to figure it out. Thank you. :)

Treats did not work. :/

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Was it just when you went back for the exam or just at the vet's office the whole visit? If it was just the exam part and the table specifically maybe you can get the vet to come down on the floor with Eddee. Lots of dogs don't like being up on the table due to the height, slippery surface, etc.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Was it just when you went back for the exam or just at the vet's office the whole visit? If it was just the exam part and the table specifically maybe you can get the vet to come down on the floor with Eddee. Lots of dogs don't like being up on the table due to the height, slippery surface, etc.
It was the whole experience! Eddee wanted to play with a huge Lab at the front desk the minute we got there ... I had to leave the area for all concerned ... at least I have enough sense to do that! lol! :)

This is a good thought too ....

Being Eddie is a rescue ... I will never know what his first experiences with the vet were or if he ever went to one at all! :/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts