Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just love shopping for our kids, don't we? However, it can be a bit of a pain when deciding which collar is best for your dog.

They come in thousands of sizes, shapes, colors and widths and it can be overwhelming at first.

To make life easier, first measure your dog's neck, then go with a collar that's a few inches longer than that. You should be able to fit two fingers under the collar once it's on. You don't want him to be able to slip out of it.

If you're buying a collar for a puppy, you'll want to check on the fit rather often because those cute little puppies grow very fast!

Standard Collar

The collar should really sit a little higher on the dog's neck. That also helps with being able to control him more if he tends to pull on the leash when walking.

You'll want to buy a collar and lead that will be in proportion to your dog's size. You don't want a thin little lead if you're walking a mastiff, and you wouldn't want to put a huge thick lead and collar around the neck of a Yorkie.

Select a collar and lead that matches the weight of your dog.

Don't forget the name tag!

If your dog should run away or become lost, the name tag, with the dog's name and your name and address on it, will help bring him home safely once he's found.

Choke Collars

Choke collars should only be used if you're training your dog. They aren't to be used for walking a dog! I wouldn't recommend using them on smaller dogs.

Halter collars

These allow you to have more control over your dog, especially if he likes to take you for a walk! They give you more control because these types of collars go around the back of the head and around the nose. When your dog pulls, his head his pulled to one side, which stops the "forward" thought of the dog. Good for larger dogs that tend to pull on the lead.

Harnesses

Let's talk about dog harnesses

Unlike collars, harnesses fit around the shoulders and neck and behind the front legs of the dog. These are best for dogs that tend to pull on a traditional leash and choke themselves. My dog loves to pull then starts gagging from the pressure of the collar.

Harnesses are great but they don't fit comfortably on certain dogs.

Dogs with shorter legs and broader chests may find it a little uncomfortable when wearing a harness. My corgie can't wear one because her legs are so short and her chest is wide. An example are: Corgis, bulldogs, etc.

If you have a "low-rider" dog like mine, consider using a collar and lead instead.

Prong Collars

These collars have prongs that stick against the dog's neck. They're mainly used if your dog tends to pull a lot or as a training collar.

Choosing The Proper Lead

Selecting a lead is easier than choosing a collar. Simple get one that closely matches the weight of your dog. It doesn't matter whether it's leather or nylon, that's simply a personal choice. I prefer nylon because it's lightweight and can be washed if it gets dirty.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts