Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a thread in the food section about what to look for in dog food, what brands are better, etc. I learned a lot from it. I had no idea that the typical dog foods at grocery stores aren't that good.

Now, I'm wondering if what we are feeding our cats is good enough. I'm not really a cat person, my husband is. His last cats lived to be 20 and 23 on what they were eating, but I know that still doesn't mean it was that good for them. Our current cats are eating the same wet food, friskies, and purina one for dry food.

I'm thinking about switching them to the same brand of dry food that our puppy gets. I'm guessing that since their dog food is high quality, their cat food would be too. But I don't know.

Friskies makes some new wet food that is supposed to be especially for indoor cats. I might try that, but I really have no idea if it is really good or not.

Anyone know? Or know of a good resource to learn about cat food?

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
What brand are you feeding your puppy? I use Chicken Soup for both dogs and cats. It's a good food.

Anyway, Purina ONE isn't horrible. If your cats are doing well you don't have to switch unless you want to. Friskies canned food isn't particularly high-quality (and the "indoor" formula is just a gimmick), but if they don't eat a lot of canned food it might not be a big deal. For cat food you want to see MEAT. Lots of it. More than in dog foods, in general. Other than that, use the same guidelines as finding a good dog food.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I did feed the diamond brand that is very good for cats, its no wheat, no soy and no byproducts. My cats loved it. But the place stopped selling it. :( Not enough people knew about it and was buying it but it was a good food. Now i had to go on a hunt for a new food with no by products at least and i found meow mix something goodness i put my food in a container with a lid so i dont remember exactly what it was but if you look at the lable it has good stuff in it no by products whew! I just got to find out a way to git the diamond brand back my black cat princess misses it.

Whatever you do do not feed anything that is by-products. Wheat and soy is bad enough but if you can just squeak by on the no by products.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Willowy - I've been feeing her Nutri Source there was a discussion about it here: http://www.dogforums.com/5-dog-food-forum/43560-nutri-source-good-food.html . It was what she was being fed when we got her. I'm trying their cat food out on the cats, but they only make dry.

So what I guess I really need is a good wet food for them. Chicken Soup sounds great - but I don't see anyplace near enough to me to buy it from.

Realistically I would need something I could either get from a grocery store or Petco. Or if I can find something good I could order with either free or cheap shipping.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Nutrisource looks OK. Not terrific, but OK. I don't like the corn gluten meal, especially so high on the ingredient list. The ingredients aren't that much better than Purina ONE.....probably not worth switching.

I don't know what price range you're looking at. PetCo sells Wellness and Welness CORE, Solid Gold, Natural Balance, and Blue Buffalo (also at Petsmart). Purina ONE is probably the best you can get at the grocery store.

Oh, wait, canned food. Hmm. Wal-Mart sells one brand, I forget the name. My cats won't eat it, but the ingredients are great. About a dollar a can. Some grocery stores have it, too. I wish I could remember the name. Natural Balance, Halo, or Wellness from PetCo. Nutro canned foods are pretty good. It's easier to find a good canned food than a good dry food. Just read the ingredient list, and look for lots of meat.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Here's a link: http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library&act=show&item=whycatsneedcannedfood

Cats should really have canned food in their diet, especially males...either primarily or along with a high quality, grain free, diet. They don't need veggies or grains...just meat. And not fish...poultry or beef is good.

Here's a good article on selecting a good food: http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library&act=show&item=004

We feed our 4 Friskies canned...any of the poultry or beef flavors. Their favorite is Turkey & Giblets. If we could afford it, I'd feed them Wellness canned, but with 4 of them it gets expensive.

Before we fed canned, we free fed dry. Our four are happy and the perfect weight...of course, they keep each other pretty active as well.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought some wellness today to try with them. I still have a whole stack of friskies, so I'll give them a wellness can now and then, see which ones they like the most, then if they like it switch them over entirely to wellness once the friskies is used up.

I bought some dry wellness too, but I want to use up more of the dry I have now first. Then start gradually adding the dry wellness into it. Something with less fillers would definitely be good for them. One of our cats is a bit over weight and has a slight heart problem, so I would like for him to lose a little weight if possible.

Our petco didn't have puppy wellness, so I'll keep her on nutrisource at least for now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts