Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3.5 month old chocolate lab. I asked for all sorts of help from you guys and thank you for all your advise and tips. Here is one that I hope you can help me with.

He is fantastic 99.9% of the time. We play in the yard, he is amazing fetching and chase (with one particular toy that is different from the fetch toy). We even have a shady spot where I sit and he sits next to me and chews on a toy. Here is the problem. Whenever I try to leave (even after a long time) or he senses that I am about to leave, he immediately jumps on me, biting my pants, ankles etc., I can't even make him sit. I basically have to throw a toy, so when he is getting it, I can go inside. It is so sad for me to see him outside with the toy in his mouth looking devastated. Is there a way to stop this behavior?

Thank you.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Let him come in the house with you. Tell him to get a toy and Come.
If you keep him out back, that's why he doesn't want you to leave. Dogs are social, and want to be with their owners.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I agree. Most dogs are bored outside by themselves. They aren't motivated to play by themselves. The most mine do is slowly walk around and sniff at things, and eat sticks, if I am not playing with them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi guys,

It is true that he is outside most of the day, when I am at work (my mom keeps an eye on him). He just loves the backyard pond, splashing around the stream bed (hasn't jump in the pond yet :) But I never tell him to stay outside or anything. He is essential an indoor dog, he eats and sleeps indoor. It is just that, when I get up and leave or heads towards the door, he immediatly jumps on me and bites.

Do you think may be I should keep some treats with me and when he tries to jump on me I can distract him with food?

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I wouldn't say you want to distract him, but, rather teach him that jumping on you isn't acceptable, the same way you would as if he was jumping on a guest that just came to visit. So, when you get up to go in, instead of dealing with the jumping, and going on about your way to the house, stop in your tracks the moment he jumps, and turn your back on him, crossing your arms. (Keep an eye on him out of the corner of your eye, if you can). The second all 4 feet hit the ground, praise and treat him. Then, maybe you can quickly start into the house.

Or, when he jumps, ask for an incompatible behavior, like "sit" or "down". He can't continue to jump on you if he's sitting.

Maybe you could use this as an opportunity to teach "heel" so he walks right at your heel. That way, when you get up to go inside, you could give the heel command, and have him walk nicely in. Gotta teach it first, though! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts