Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really just looking for insight on the best ways to learn grooming.

I worked at a vet as an assistant/tech for 3 years and did some summer shaves on dogs and cats, and really enjoyed doing those. I even liked shaving for surgery prep and trying to keep it nice and making sure not to clip the skin. I had a long haired dog for a while that I liked to experiment with lion cuts, mohawks, silly things. I also have a 6 year old husky that I never shave and enjoy keeping his full coat groomed. I like to remove mats and brush out dogs as well.

Now I work at a boarding kennel that has a full and part time groomer. I asked the owner if there was any way I could learn grooming there, and she didn't really open any doors for me.

Then, two of my friends with long haired cats bought some nice clippers and I shaved two of their cats as well as my sister's. I showed a photo of one of the cats after the shave to the kennel owner, and her attitude totally changed and she said I can rough in dogs for the groomers when they get busy, but so far they haven't needed any help yet.

I currently don't have any kind of training for grooming, but I am very interested in it. I really wanted to learn at my job, but I don't think I will be able to where I am working now.

So far, my only plan is to save money to go to a grooming school. The school I was looking at is called Golden Paws, in Houston, TX where I live. I started having second thoughts about it when I realized how short the course is compared to another school here. Golden Paws is $4,200 for 6 weeks of full time classes. The other school I found is under $3k for something like 6 months of full time classes.

It's proven difficult for me to find any solid info on whether the grooming schools are a good idea, or what to do. Hopefully someone on here could give some tips or advice?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
You are definitely going to do well in a grooming career because you did a nice job on this kitty in the pic. Yes, you are right. School is the best way, but you will only be as good as the teacher at the school. I am not familiar with schools in TX, but the best schools in the country are Paragon in Michigan, and Nash Academy in Kentucky. Both have dorms, I believe, if you re able to go away for school. It is very hard to learn in a salon, because groomers are very busy, and rarely have the time to train someone, as it can take a year or more to be good enough where someone isnt going over your dogs, and tidying them up. Even after graduatingmfrom a good school, you will have tons more learning to do, and every shop owner has their "way" of doing things thatmyou will have to learn or adjust to. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts