Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was at TSC the other day looking at crates and relatively cheap dog beds (because really, can you have TOO MANY dog beds? I think not!) and a woman that works there came over and was loving on my bz puppy. This, I have no problem with... What I DO have a problem with is when she said, "Can you sit?!" in a squeaky baby voice - which got him even more excited - then didn't even wait for him to sit before beginning to push his butt to the ground and continuing to say that in the same way and push until he sat.

I watched, dumbfounded, and speechless. Next time I'll have words, but I need to reel myself in and not be banned from TSC, so like the title says: how can I be polite about "please stop" to rude strangers when a "please stop" is a bit more rude than... whatever you guys come up with?

(Also, I got asked if my needle nose little boy was a great dane yesterday. Cracks me up!)

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I'm past being too polite to rude people. I find a brisk 'do NOT touch my dog, thank you' in an abrupt fashion does the trick rather nicely.

Since it was a staff member, you might want to contact the manager in a week or two, don't mention any names etc. but just point out that grabbing and shoving dog's butts to the ground like that is very likely to offend many shoppers as well as end up with staff getting bitten and dogs possibly put down as a result, and perhaps the manager could post something reminding them not to manhandle strange dogs. There is one dog/cat supply store I actually avoid because they hover and argue the same things every time. Let me shop, I'll buy what I want, not interested in the same conversation every time about never switching the cat's food around.....

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
So I was at TSC the other day looking at crates and relatively cheap dog beds (because really, can you have TOO MANY dog beds? I think not!) and a woman that works there came over and was loving on my bz puppy. This, I have no problem with... What I DO have a problem with is when she said, "Can you sit?!" in a squeaky baby voice - which got him even more excited - then didn't even wait for him to sit before beginning to push his butt to the ground and continuing to say that in the same way and push until he sat.

I watched, dumbfounded, and speechless. Next time I'll have words, but I need to reel myself in and not be banned from TSC, so like the title says: how can I be polite about "please stop" to rude strangers when a "please stop" is a bit more rude than... whatever you guys come up with?

(Also, I got asked if my needle nose little boy was a great dane yesterday. Cracks me up!)
Why do you have to be nice? Sorry but I would just say "Get your hands OFF my dog" you don't have to raise your voice (in fact it works BEST said in a low firm voice with a hard stare to back it up). Then go talk to the manager about informing his employees about asking PERMISSION before approaching/touching/disciplining a customers dog.

·
Registered
9,406 Posts
Obviously, you know lots of blunts ways to scare off strangers. The most successful polite method that I know is to say, "Please don't do that, my dog is in training." After you see how successful it is with most people (not always with children, but frequently), you can confidently say it very upbeat and sweetly.

When you get someone that is semi-knowledgeable, who asks, "How interesting, What are you training for?" Then, your answer is to smile and say, "Thank you," and walk off without acknowledging the question.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies so far, guys... I am still just shocked that someone would do that to another person's dog. Archer has such a great sit and sit-for-love understanding right now, and this woman doing this while squeaking and bending over him was crazy. When he wouldn't sit (...duh, obviously) she goes, "I guess you don't know that yet!"

I don't even... *facepalm*

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Wow, I would have been angry, but chances are I would have said something along the lines of "wow, you're lucky that's not my friend's dog, he would have bit you for that, not many dogs are alright with that kind of thing", and followed up by saying something like "watch this, you can just ask him to sit and he will". That's just me, I've done a lot of work to keep myself from flipping out at idiots like that.
At our feed store the only problem I've ever had is that they LOVE chatting, not pushing products or anything, just chatting, they've met Caeda and like her and always ask after her if she isn't with us, also helpful if I actually have questions. They just don't want to stop chatting sometimes lol, they're so nice sometimes its hard to get out of there without being rude! I guess they must have quiet days sometimes and just want to interact a bit lol.

·
Registered
569 Posts
i agree with the others. I am no longer nice or polite when someone does something like this. There are two reasons: #1. I am my dogs' guardian. It is my responsibility to keep them from harm, and keep them from feeling they need to defend themselves. If I allow someone to put them in this kind of position, I am failing that responsibility. #2. The other person started it by being rude. I don't necessarily have to be rude, but I do feel I need to be assertive and matter-of-fact. For example: "Get your hands off! I don't train my dogs that way! Handling a strange dog that roughly is apt to get you bitten one day!" I don't need to elaborate, but if the person comments how "rude" I am, I will tell them, "How rude were YOU to MY dog?!" Usually gets them to think a bit.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Just a simple "Please don't force my dog down like that, she's in training" works fine and is really a lot more effective in the adult world then being a giant a**hole about it.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I don't understand the question. An idiot gets treated like an idiot. Polite does not enter the picture.

·
Banned
78 Posts
Im over rude people. thankfullly with a rottie and german shepherd, people dont approach. What you do get is people hurling abuse at you for having your dog off leash in off leash areas, as im often told, neither of these breeds should be off leash.
I used to reassure folks that my dog were fine, wont bite etc. Now, i do nothing, and let the dogs scare them off as they go over for pats.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
I've taken to physically body blocking people or at least putting my hand out in a "no" gesture as soon as I realize what they're up to. Or if I'm too slow, I say either "oops, we're done here!" or a simple "no, don't do that, thanks!" and walk away with my body between my dog and the person.

For whatever reason, people around here are actually usually really good about asking first before touching or petting. But the exceptions are spectacular.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
When toby was still in training as a service dog and wore his vest in public (aka we had a public image/reputation to uphold and weren't allowed to be "rude") I figured out that the best approach to clueless kids and adults was to step in between them and my dog (therefore interrupting whatever touching they were doing) and to just do a complete 180 turn so the dog was suddenly on the completely opposite side of me. 99% of the time this would cause them to look up at me, away from toby, at which point i would smile and offer a "thank you for petting him!" and then turn away. it was amazing how even 3 or 4 year old kids would pick up on the fact that you were no longer interested in them interacting with your dog, and walk away.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts