Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I will be getting a Frenchie pup in August :whoo: and I need some advice on when to start raw and what protien to start with. In the past I have always used Natures Variety Instinct patties for our Mastiff who passed about a year ago at 15 years old so I am a huge believer in raw, I used instinct because:
A. He loved it
B. It's convenient
C. He had allergies to chicken so I liked that they had flavors like rabbit, bison, etc.

As far as Gunther (puppy's future name) I just need some advice on when to switch from the breeders kibble to raw and should I do all raw or keep him on half and half? he will be 8 weeks when we get him.

Please hellllpp me :)

Thank you in advance
-Samantha

·
Registered
943 Posts
You can start feeding raw as soon as you like as far as i'm concerned.

My Shiba Inu was weaned onto raw at like 4 or 5 weeks old, my Kelpie mix I started him cold turkey from low grade kibble the day I brought him home at 7.5 weeks old with no issue's.

If it makes you feel better, you can do a gradual introduction, feed half and half for a while (kibble in the mornings, raw in the evenings or vice versa) until your comfortable going full raw.

Are you planning to stay with Nature's Variety raw? The only thing I will mention here is that its very expensive for what it is and I do believe they do high pressure pastuerizing on their raw and use preservatives and such which is not something I would be very fond of coming from a raw feeder, but to each their own. I do believe there are better and more affordable commercial raw diets available if that's the route you're wanting to go, I know we have a wide variety of them here in Canada that use fresh, local meat sources with no additives or preservatives and are not treated in anyway. But you would have to research and find out what else is available to you either locally or online that is affordable.

Have you considered feeding PMR (Prey model raw)?

·
Registered
17,910 Posts
Yeah, agreeing.

She was 5-6 weeks old here. Granted, she had a pretty hard time with a whole chicken wing, for a while, but she actually did okay overall. I just had to pulverize the heck out of what she got for a bit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts