Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI I HAVE A two month old pit bull purebred puppy with his first vaccine and first ears deworming pill. by the age of 4- 5 months i want him to start living outside in his big dog house that i got for him. also he loves chilling around in the backyard throughout the day but when i hide from him purposely he starts barking/crying. any ideas how i should train him to become a outside dog.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
What exactly do you mean by outdoor dog? Do you mean leaving him outside 24/7 or just during part of the day and coming inside at night? What kind of yard do you have? Is it fenced in or is he going to be tied up?

·
Registered
468 Posts
To be honest I don't think any dog should be an outside dog, especially a pitbull. From what I have read they are people oriented and love to cuddle. He would still be a puppy at 5 months, way to young to even possibly consider it. I honestly think you should throw that idea out the window. Your dog will be much happier, well behaved, and SAFER. It is okay for him to spend time outside but dogs shouldn't be left alone outside unattended, especially not a puppy. The big dog house would be great for him to rest in if you are hanging in the backyard or grilling or something, but I don't think it is a good idea to make him an outside dog.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I wouldn't. Unless you live in very warm parts of the country, it's too cold for dogs to live outside unless they have more hair. And if you do live in very warm parts of the country, then it gets too hot for them in the summer. Your puppy barks and cries because he's scared of being left, totally normal for a baby animal to do so. Also with that breed, he's at risk for getting taken out of the yard by dogfighters, so that's a risk as well. Most dogs want to be inside with their humans, not sitting in the back yard. I'm sure others will point out other concerns too.

My guys have an indoor/outdoor dog run setup, but are usually inside most of the time even though they have the choice, and are rotated inside one at a time to hang out. All three when I don't care if the house gets trashed by them!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what i mean by a outdoor dog is that he is living outside 24/7 in his huge dog house that i bought that is 35inches tall from the inside and my yard size is very big and it is fenced all around i have nobody that will be entering the yard beside my family and me and he will not be tied up he will be unleashed but with his collar on so he can do what ever he wants in the yard and also i have a huge bed set inside his house so he feels comfortable

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the reply but i can wait a little longer keeping him inside but not for his whole life because i want to shift him outside because i have my $100,000 Mercedes Benz inside and i do not want him scratching it

·
Registered
468 Posts
I don't think that is a good idea. Pitbulls are a breed that really need to be around their people, not just outside, and you can't control the people that enter your yard if they really want to get it. Dog nappers and dog fighters have taken dogs right from people's back yards. There is all sorts of trouble that a dog left in a back yard could get into. I don't think any breed is okay to live outside 24/7. They just won't get proper socialization or human attention unless you yourself are outside for several hours a day. Please don't leave him outdoors, it is dangerous.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Dogs get lonely and forget their training if they don't get enough attention. How much attention and exercise will you give him? Many people seem to "forget" they have an outside dog and end up only throwing food out now and then and not spending time with the dog. Is there a reason he won't be allowed inside?

If you really want to make him live outside, you have to work up to it gradually. Make it a fun place, give him lots of praise when he stays outside by himself for a while. It'll be hard because pit bulls are very people-oriented and don't like to be alone.

If it gets cold where you live, a big doghouse won't be warm enough. A cold-weather doghouse should be just large enough for the dog to curl up in.

Wait, you have your car in the house? Odd. Well, if you can afford a car like that you can probably afford to make a space for him inside, a space where he won't hurt anything but can be with his people.

·
Registered
468 Posts
thanks for the reply but i can wait a little longer keeping him inside but not for his whole life because i want to shift him outside because i have my $100,000 Mercedes Benz inside and i do not want him scratching it
Are you kidding me? Is this serious? If so, then sorry, but I don't see how a paint job is more important than a dog's quality of life and safety.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for your reply, and your time

i live in British Columbia around the lower mainland but in the winters i have already bought a heater that i can set up in his house so he is not cold and i didn't understand what you meant by dog fighters

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
You have your car in the house? Is it a decoration or something?
Why not keep the car in a garage?

Why would you buy a dog, a people-oriented dog at that, and want to keep it outside 24/7? That's just terrible, imo.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i spend around 4-5 hours of playing with my dog throughout the day outside and i give him one hour walks twice a day and also i have fitted a heater in his house and my car is in the garage which is inside the house and he is running around everywhere inside the garage upstairs in the basement

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Pitbulls are not made to live outside in Canada. Sorry. Sure, it's not that cold where you live but still not warm enough, and if you have a fancy car and are concerned with him scratching it, put the car in the garage and the dog in the house, or shut the door to the car's bedroom. There's also trainers who can help you train your dog to behave and not damage the car. My guys are a bit crazy at times but have yet to damage the paint job on THEIR van that they share with the kids. I'm just the driver.

Leaving him in the yard all the time is setting him up to bark and act up, because he's not going to be as happy as he's going to be inside on a nice bed. So you'll have animal control on your door likely. Dog fighters will often steal dogs like pitties to use them to teach their dogs to fight, usually by muzzline the 'bait dog' (which is what your dog would be) and letting their dog go at your dog. Pitties are also pretty good at jumping fences and digging if you're not out there watching and getting out and into trouble as well. Please consider just having him as an indoor dog as part of the family or rehoming him where he will be. If you really want a dog to decorate the back yard, get one that's stuffed and stick it in the nice dog house and pretend.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Thanks for your reply, and your time

i live in British Columbia around the lower mainland but in the winters i have already bought a heater that i can set up in his house so he is not cold and i didn't understand what you meant by dog fighters
Way too cold to even consider keeping a pitbull outside, heater or no heater. Being outside 24/7 is not only unsafe, but it can lead to all sorts of behavioral issues like mail man syndrome or aggression, something that pitbulls are already biased against for. Dog fighters are people who take dogs and literally put them into a ring with another dog and have them fight, sometimes to the death. These dogs are seriously hurt and usually end up dead. Pitbulls are a breed of choice for dog fighters as they are known for their aggression.

If you can't provide an indoor home for your pitbull, I honestly think you should contact a rescue and have it re-homed now while it is still young. I am 100% against leaving dogs outside 24/7, especially a pitbull, not to mention one as young as 5 months old. Material objects do not take priority over the life of a dog. Sorry, no exceptions.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I would figure out a way to rig something to keep him out of the garage area. There are a lot of options that would not require him to be outside by himself.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I can see how the car...who doesn't care if it is hot or cold, raining or snowing needs to be kept INSIDE (??????)...while the LIVING, BREATHING animal is OUTSIDE where I'm assuming it can get pretty cold and doesn't have thick fur to keep it warm - makes complete sense. Car = inside, Dogs = outside.

Learn something new everyday.

I think you need to reevaluate your priorities and your suitability for owning a dog if you think the Benz (not a living thing) should be inside and the dog (eats, drinks, sleeps, breathes and has a heartbeat) should be out.

You don't have a door that closes the garage from the house????

·
Registered
468 Posts
It must get cold during the winter with no door in between the garage and inside.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts