Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I do not have dogs. My neighbors, however, have two mid-size breeds and I D R E A D going over to their house because their dogs bark, and jump, and scratch, and pee...and generally act like lunatics every time we knock on the door/ring doorbell and come in. It is a huge ordeal to get them to behave (I guess they think they are the alphas) and I avoid going over there as much as possible because it's so much effort to get them to shut up.

My question is twofold: How should I react to my neighbor's dogs while they are restraining them and the dogs are barking and flipping out?
And is it okay for me to firmly tell someone else's dog NO when the dog is behaving like this?

Thank you. I don't want to hate my friends' dogs, but behavior like that makes it very easy.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Dogs like that aren't trying to be alpha or dominant over visitors. Overly excited and poorly managed dogs act that way. I wonder about how much mental and physical exercise those dogs usually get?

The important thing to know is that saying NO doesn't tell the dogs what TO DO instead and saying it you run the risk of offending your neighbors, so I would avoid it. Even telling them to sit, down or off is pointless if the dogs are not trained to comply over extreme distractions and excitement. Instead, I would completely ignore the dogs, turn away from them and wait until they are settled before giving them any attention at all (which should be calm and neutral).

Depending upon how friendly you are with your neighbors, you may suggest or request the dogs be put up or leashed before you enter. Perhaps you can give a courtesy call to let them know you're coming so they have time to manage the situation. And if you have time, you might offer to help them desensitize their dogs to people coming and going by helping them practice redirection and management and training of the dogs through more frequent visits.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Ignore them completely. Don't talk to the dogs or look at them. Give them zero attention....that's what they want. The usual tactics for jumping are: turning away from the dog and not looking at it; a quick cha-cha step towards the dog to halt the jump (surprise him by invading HIS space); a sudden loud sound to distract/interupt him. Chances are none of these will be very effective as the owners have allowed the dogs to behave so badly. You can only do your part of ignoring.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
If you watch "It's me or the dog", when Victoria walks into the house, the dogs don't jump on her (much), because of how she holds herself, her body language. Hold yourself tall and straight, and, if they jump up at you, cross your arms and turn away from the dogs. This will only help a bit, because the owners need to work with the dogs to really extinguish the behavior, but it will help keep you from being bowled over too much.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for your answers. It takes a lot to not lose my patience with the dogs or my neighbors, who are good friends of ours.

I will try some of the suggestions and see if that helps the slightest.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
This is really sad b/c it makes you dislike the dogs and it is not their fault. Too bad the guardians don't try to train them or at least put them in another room when they have visitors. Maybe you should invite them to your house instead... without the dogs of course.

I go for ignoring the dogs as suggested. Good luck.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I can relate to that. My neighbour also owns a very poorly trained dog. It barks at everyone and everything, which gets very annoying overtime. The worst thing is that whenever me and my family try to relax on the deck, the dog starts barking and barking and the owners don't really care. All they do is say stop once, but the dog always continues. I don't really blame the dog because I actually have NEVER seen them walk the dog. This has gotten me a bit worried as I'm going to get a dog soon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You are all right...it's not the dogs' fault. I feel like our neighbors should be more aware how obnoxious their dogs are to guests--they spend all their time around their dogs and don't realize or have gotten used to how loud the barks are and how un-cute it is when their dog pees.

These dogs are walked pretty regularly from what I have seen. Maybe once daily? I also understand that there's not much I can do about someone else's dogs. I would love to scream, "Control your %$#&@ animals!" But that's not polite and my friends would appreciate such a suggestion about as much as contracting a ringworm. Thank ya'll again.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Dogs like that aren't trying to be alpha or dominant over visitors. Overly excited and poorly managed dogs act that way. I wonder about how much mental and physical exercise those dogs usually get?

The important thing to know is that saying NO doesn't tell the dogs what TO DO instead and saying it you run the risk of offending your neighbors, so I would avoid it. Even telling them to sit, down or off is pointless if the dogs are not trained to comply over extreme distractions and excitement. Instead, I would completely ignore the dogs, turn away from them and wait until they are settled before giving them any attention at all (which should be calm and neutral).

Depending upon how friendly you are with your neighbors, you may suggest or request the dogs be put up or leashed before you enter. Perhaps you can give a courtesy call to let them know you're coming so they have time to manage the situation. And if you have time, you might offer to help them desensitize their dogs to people coming and going by helping them practice redirection and management and training of the dogs through more frequent visits.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Very good advice pamperedpups!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts