Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Kane needs help.

My neighbors dog, Kane, is an 8 years old pit bull.

He is locked up every day since he was 3 and hardly goes for a walk.
I want to help and train Kane because no animal should be locked up everyday.

I asked his owners and they will allow my bf and I to take him for walks.
But, I don't know where to start....
Kane is strong.
Hes pulls the lease and doesn't listen well.

How would I teach him to be better on a lease and to listen?

My boyfriends parents said if we could train Kane not to use the bathroom in the house, we could keep him.

He hasn't been inside in a few years. When Kane was inside he would poop in the house and he would chew up objects.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Would they allow you to take it for walks? If so, you could go over, take him for a walk, and maybe train him a little on the way. With lots of loving and treats.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We recently had to give our dog,Camber, away because of chewing and my bf's mom has arthritis in her back and one of her hips, so she can't take care of Camber, when my bf and I are away at school pr visiting my parents.

Camber was very hyper and loving but she always wanted attention and we couldn't give her attention all the time. Camber was a good dog but she chewed objects, so my bfs parents decided to give her back to her old owners, who missed her alot.

Our neighbors said we could walk Kane and he is an really good. I expected him to go crazy when we walked him but after 10 minutes, Kane was calm and stopped pulling.

We need help with behavior tricks. I confused on where to start and what to do.
I know we will keep trying though....

Hes the first dog, I've bonded with and I really don't want him to spend the rest of his life in a kennel.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Hi at 8 years old , this dog maybe already set in his ways, sad to say
, he'll be use to what he has. You may find this hard to train with been a older dog also.

Good luck on what you decide

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hi April,

I respectfully disagree with tipper's statement about training an older dog. It's a little bit more difficult than training a puppy, but only a little.

Since you've got internet access read up on "positive reinforcement training". It's basically the theory that you reward the dog for doing the right thing. When he does the wrong thing you figure out how to show him what the right thing is, but you rarely, if ever, use harsh/punishment methods. It's a lot easier for a dog (or human for that matter) to learn what you WANT, but trying to learn what you DON'T want is a difficult guessing game.

He is going to want to please you since you're the one taking him out for walks. But he doesn't know what you want and what you don't want. Treat/praise what you want and he'll get the idea.

Most of all read up on the subject. It's really fascinating. Pat Miller, Patricia O'Connell, Ian Dunbar are some of the better authors, but you'll find lots of good advice right here on Dog Forums.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Hi April,

I respectfully disagree with tipper's statement about training an older dog. It's a little bit more difficult than training a puppy, but only a little.

Since you've got internet access read up on "positive reinforcement training". It's basically the theory that you reward the dog for doing the right thing. When he does the wrong thing you figure out how to show him what the right thing is, but you rarely, if ever, use harsh/punishment methods. It's a lot easier for a dog (or human for that matter) to learn what you WANT, but trying to learn what you DON'T want is a difficult guessing game.

He is going to want to please you since you're the one taking him out for walks. But he doesn't know what you want and what you don't want. Treat/praise what you want and he'll get the idea.

Most of all read up on the subject. It's really fascinating. Pat Miller, Patricia O'Connell, Ian Dunbar are some of the better authors, but you'll find lots of good advice right here on Dog Forums.
Fair enought, but got remember this dog only spending a set amount of time with them. Then it will return home to it's righful owner. Will the owner continue the training at home? Got get the dog in a pattern I feel. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I'll let Kane off the lease and he listen(sometimes) but he'll come back. (He doesn't really go far. He just wants to stay with humans.)

Kanes owners, Brittany and Brian, said he listened well as a puppy but I don't know if he needs to be refreshed or if he is losing his hearing.

He's an American bulldog mixed with a pit bull.
I haven't been told by anyone that he has bitten anyone. I've asked, they've all said no. (I thought Kane had bitten the fence because some kids were teasing him did but it was another dog.)

He is old but I don't see anything bad with him at this moment.

He loves to be walked...Since we have been walking him, He hasn't chased after cats or rabbits.

We brought him around a two other dogs which were Chihuahuas mixes but he didn't growl or try to run away. He sniffed them and moved on.

One of the Chihuahuas was barking and jumping in his face... Kane just walked pass him to my bf parents.

Hes an older dog and I'm worried about house training him. I don't know how good his bladder is. But, if we can't house train him, we'll just walk him everyday and spend time with him.

Kane is an outside dog, his owners don't spend any time with him. He's in his kennel all day. He hasn't been in a house for years.

We are going to take him to the vet and if he is healthy enough, we'll continue training. (I hope he isn't sick or in pain)

We are trying to get him in pattern.
We walk him for about 2 hours a day and we are trying to learn training techniques. It is going to be a long process but when he finally learns, we'll all be happy.

We are trying to teach him not to walk in-front of us and not to pull the lease....trying really hard.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
to stop a dog from pulling the best thing to do is change directions the instant the dog reaches the end of the Leash. It does not matter if he walks in front, alongside or behind. What matters is that the leash remian slack.

Play the Crazy Owner Game with him. Wjhen he gets to the end of the leash, change direction. Go back the way you just came or make a 90 degree turn. If you keep doing this you won't get far but pretty soon he will be watching you to see where you are going next instead of pulling to go where he wants to next.

There are stickies here on dog training and you should read those. I also recommend a book by Pamela Dennision "The Complete Idiots Guide to Positive Dog training."

If the dog's owners will allow it, enrolling in a beginners obedience class will help you help the dog. Classes run about 8 weeks, one night a week, and you get homework.

House training a dog requires a crate (well, you can do it w/o a crate but the crate helps). It can also help with chewing and other problems. Crate should be big enough for the dog to stand in, like down in and trurn around in. To house break a dog you get the dog on a regular feeding and walking schedule. When the dog poops outside you give him treats and make a big deal out of how good he is. When you cannot watch him and he is inside, use the crate.

Age matters not. He can learn whatever you have the desire to teach him.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts