Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
Maybe see if you can do short term fostering for a rescue. That way if your life changes, the dog does have a place to go back to, and they usually help with vet bills. Or consider doing pet sitting for friends. You'll get a doggie fix plus some money.
Agreed. Life changes SOOOO much that last year of college and first year in the "real world"- you may have to move long distance for a job, move back home with the parents while job searching, finding a dog friendly affordable apartment in a new city can be tough, you might have long hours at work but no money for a dog walker etc.

Fostering is fun (also hard work), a great experience, affordable (most rescues provide everything except the dog food and optional things like toys and chewies), you can talk to the rescue and tell them you are not available over the summer so you don't have to worry about taking a dog home with you, you get experience with different breeds and personalities etc. You also make connections in the dog community who can later be a source of knowledge and help (dog sitting for example)

Also, rescues LOVE people who don't have any other dogs in the house. Most people who foster have a dog or two of their own but there is almost always a few dogs that need a temporary home with no other dogs and that is very hard to find. Sometimes it is due to dog aggression (which is NOT people aggression), but sometimes it is medical- like a dog that broke a leg and need 6 weeks of crate rest and has an external fixator can't safely be around another dog that might injure the leg- or a very shy dog etc.

If you aren't 100% financially independent of your parents AND expect to continue to be after graduation OR they are not 100% fully on-board, then don't adopt a dog now.

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
And if I were in a situation where I would be gone for a few days and needed someone to take care of my dog, I would PAY my dad to take care of it, just as if it was any of my friends taking care of it.
If your parents are paying for your housing and tuition, then all you'd be doing is offering them some of their money back to take care of "your" dog...
If you are not financially independent from your parents then they have the right to be part of major financial decisions, which in this case includes a dog. Aside from the fact that you'll be staying with them for a portion of the year. Even if you lived 12 months of the year at school, if they are providing the vast majority of your income (even if you have a part time job, if they are paying tuition and housing, your financial contribution is small) then they should be able to have a say.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.