Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we have a Samoyed puppy about 5 months old now. He's had all his shots and everything so he can be out 'in the wild' safely. We'd like to start hiking with him, and I was wondering when most people feel a working dog like that is old enough to start going on hikes and carrying his own supplies (water, treats etc) in a dog hiking pack.

Also if (or when) he is old enough, is there a rule of thumb for how much weight he should be expected to carry relative to his body weight? He's about 34 lbs now.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
He can start carrying an empty pack around 9-10 months. No weight bearing until at least 18 months. (I let my guys carry poop bags earlier than that, but nothing heavier. Hiking, unless you're talking really long stuff, is probably fine now.

20% of body weight is the rule of thumb for dogs- they're just plain not built for weight bearing.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I wouldn't walk him on a hike until he's at least 1 yr old. Pups shouldn't have too much exercise until 12 - 18 m/o depending on the breed. It's far better to exercise their brains until they have finished growing & their bones are set.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts