Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 15-week-old dachshund/chihuahua mix. Right now, when I'm home, I take him out every hour if he's awake, and then whenever he wakes up from a nap if he falls asleep. However, I know that puppies gain better control of their bladder as they age. As he progresses into being 4, 5, and 6 months old, should I reduce the frequency of the bathroom trips? Or, should I continue taking him out as often until he's house trained? My vet said that he should have bladder control around 5 months, and on here, I see that the more common consensus is 6 months. But, if he's not house trained by 6 months, should I still be taking him out often, or should he be able to hold it?

·
Registered
66 Posts
All mine went outside about every hour on the hour and about 30 minutes after they ate. But as adults my dogs still go outside about every hour on the hour with me lol! I would think by 6 mnths old he should be able to hold it for a bit, but being a small dog I believe they can be a bit harder to housetrain and not be able to hold it as long.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, what I'm worried about is that I'm not going to be able to take him out every hour on the hour--right now, I'm making sure to make the time to take him out, as he's so young, but these frequent outings aren't going to be something I want to continue. He's a small breed, so I know he can't hold it as long, but I would think that by 6 months, he should have sufficient bladder control to be able to hold it past an hour, correct?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would assume he would. I would start lengthening the time between outings, maybe by 30 minutes at first and see how he does!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When can I start lengthening the time between outings? He sleeps a lot right now, so it often ends up that I only need to take him out every two hours anyway, but if he's up and active I take him out every hour. This week he'll be four months, so should I continue taking him out every hour, or should he be starting to develop some bladder control now?

·
Registered
66 Posts
at 5 months old i don't see why you couldn't now. you could try tethering him to you so if he were to start to have an accident you could get him out and then you could also mark down how often he is actual going. I have not had a small puppy for quite some time lol, so i don't know how much help i'm being :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, he's only four months this week, and I haven't had him long enough to really be able to tell when he needs to go out. If I bring him outside every hour, he at least pees without fail, so I'm not sure if he's able to hold it longer or not. He's had a couple accidents since I brought him home last week, but the past few days have been fine, but that's because I've been making sure to take him out every hour. He hasn't made any moves to try and go inside the house at all recently, but he's been sleeping a lot, and I always take him out after he's been playing or after he eats, so he doesn't even have the chance to start sniffing around inside.

Basically, I'm a bit paranoid about him having accidents inside, but I'm also worried that he'll just be reliant on me to take him out, and will never learn how to tell me when he needs to go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts