Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my roommates has an 18 month old female Huskador and she sheds like crazy. He never brushes her or cleans up after her and myself and my other roommate are fed up because we are the ones that are sweeping up massive amounts of fur and occasionally brushing her. On average, how often should she be brushed to keep our house from being covered in white hair?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Honestly, with a cross of two breeds that both shed like crazy, there will always be hair floating around. However, a good grooming once a week, using a pin and/or slicker brush can help. During heavy spring shedding season, you will need to groom pretty much every day. Using a forced air dryer (a clean small Shop Vac with the hose on the exhaust works in a pinch) can help with getting loose hair out of the coat after brushing.

·
Registered
281 Posts
You can also use a Deshedding rake. This will help remove the loose hair. In truth, you will always have dog hair. It will migrate to be in everything. Brushing may need to be daily to get ahead of the shedding, then possibly 1X each week.

Question for you to ponder. Why are you caring for your roommates responsibility?

Once upon a lifetime or 2 ago, I had a roomy with a cat. He didn't like cleaning the litter box, so he would put it off. My bedroom was in the basement, the litter box was too (not in my room) in the basement. At times, the aroma would be unbearable and I would handle the duty. After a several cleanings, I had enough. I told the roomy to take care of the box because I would not. He didn't. The aroma was exceeding the gag level. I put on some rubber gloves, held my breath to relocate the box to his bedroom. The litter was floating in liquid. The roomy was not happy, but he got the message to quit shirking his responsibility. He soon moved out and gave the cat away.

Frankly, I'd think I would press the dog roomy to handle the responsibility or give up the dog or move out. If he rejects these options, then I would restrict the dog to the roomy's bedroom and not allow the dog access to the home.

He has the pleasure of the dog, you have the pleasure of dog maintenance.

BTW, this problem is not rooted in the dog. The roomy is the source of the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can also use a Deshedding rake. This will help remove the loose hair. In truth, you will always have dog hair. It will migrate to be in everything. Brushing may need to be daily to get ahead of the shedding, then possibly 1X each week.

Question for you to ponder. Why are you caring for your roommates responsibility?

Once upon a lifetime or 2 ago, I had a roomy with a cat. He didn't like cleaning the litter box, so he would put it off. My bedroom was in the basement, the litter box was too (not in my room) in the basement. At times, the aroma would be unbearable and I would handle the duty. After a several cleanings, I had enough. I told the roomy to take care of the box because I would not. He didn't. The aroma was exceeding the gag level. I put on some rubber gloves, held my breath to relocate the box to his bedroom. The litter was floating in liquid. The roomy was not happy, but he got the message to quit shirking his responsibility. He soon moved out and gave the cat away.

Frankly, I'd think I would press the dog roomy to handle the responsibility or give up the dog or move out. If he rejects these options, then I would restrict the dog to the roomy's bedroom and not allow the dog access to the home.

He has the pleasure of the dog, you have the pleasure of dog maintenance.

BTW, this problem is not rooted in the dog. The roomy is the source of the problem.
Yes! I agree, which is where we're at in the process of waking him up. Both if us have had a talk with him in the past week and I wanted to touch all bases before moving forward with how to handle this. Thank you for your input!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Sometimes a big hammer or ball bat is needed to drive home the point through a hard head.

Good Luck.

Hope for the best outcome for all involved.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts