Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She is a Schnauzer/Dachshund, her hair is about medium length and is fine. How often should I brush her hair? Also will her hair thicken or will it stay this way?

How many times should I brush her teeth? Clip her nails?

Should I trim her hair myself or let a professional do it?

How can I get my puppy to like the hair dryer?

My kitty problem:
When I take my puppy out the neighbors kitten almost cat always comes over to 'play'. She won't go away, I have tried a whole bunch of stuff but she will not get away from my puppy. She is scared of dogs but she loves my puppy. My puppy will be sitting there biting her and she just sits there and takes it. Does it think that it's her sister or maybe her own kid? I can't get them to stop 'playing'. I'm having a hard time with training the puppy to go outside for that reason.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
1. You can brush her hair every evening to build a routine. After both of you get used to it, you can reduce to once a week, or increase to more frequently as a bonding exercise. No guarantees with a mix, but I imagine a pups' hair will thicken as she matures.
2. Brush her teeth every day, at least every other day, again to build a routine. After she accepts it, you can reduce to very other day.
3. Clip the tip of her nails with a fingernail clipper, maybe one or two toes per day to teach her that it is OK. After she is used to it, then you can keep them trimmed as often as is needed to keep the claws from clacking on the floor. I walk my Lab on concrete every day and clip his nails once a week, some people clip only once a month.
4. Dryer - play with her with the dryer turned off, maybe even put some peanut butter on it to let her lick it off. One day, turn it on the lowest position with no heat and put it on the ground, and let her go up and explore... and lick it. Over a few weeks, incrementally increase the fan speed. When she is comfortable, put it back on the lowest speed and hold it... Toss treats to her and make it into a gentle game... with lots of treats. Again incrementally increase the fan speed. Modify the plan as needed.
5. I like the idea of cat&dogs playing together. I don't understand why the pup won't go outside?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright thanks. I don't mind that they are playing with each other, and she won't go outside because she's too concentrated on the cat. When the cat runs away she just sits there waiting for the cat to come back. She doesn't do her business.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
IF you go outside, I imagine she ignores you and still waits for the cat.

What happens if you force the issue - either guide her outside with a leash (don't pull her), or just pick her up and take her outside, then give her treats in the yard ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts