Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

How often does an adult dog pee?

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  InkedMarie 
#1 · (Edited)
My other dogs aren't normal, one with kidney disease, one with diabetes, one very very old. So they all pee differently than considered normal.

Now, I have this new dog. It's a neutered female dog, 6 years old. She only goes 2 times a day. Is this normal? For me it seems not enough, but I realized I don't even know what is considered normal and healthy:redface:

Edit: okay, my boyfriend pointed out she's been peeing around 4 times at some days, and 2 (one time even 1!) on other days. And he suddenly realised what it probably is: she refuses to pee when it rains. :doh: we already noticed she's very into the comfy stuff, doesn't like dirty / wet paws, makes her bed with 4 layers of blankets and snuggles so hardcore you can't even see where she is etc.

I am always a bit of an overconcerned dogmum, but is this healthy behaviour? Is it ok to not pee that much? (Not that I can make her pee, but still)

#2 ·
It's better to keep an empty bladder. Stale urine whether held in the bladder or in a sample vial can crystallize and that is not good. I'd be watching her water intake and try to be sure she gets about an ounce of water for every pound of dog daily, that would be around a cup of water for an 8 pound dog a day. If she is limiting her water intake see if she will drink diluted broth or mix some water/broth into meals.

#3 ·
It is not good for a dog to be 'forced' to hold it, but it may not be bad if the dog chooses to hold it. Being 'scared' to go to the bathroom b/c of rain, may not be good, but you can call your vet to ask.

My 15yo male Lab mix goes outside 4 - 5 times in 24 hours, and may pee 2 - 3 times during two of those times. In addition, he only drinks [and he drinks deeply] only before he wants to go outside.

#4 ·
I have a friend with a female dog who only pees twice a day, at home. She doesn't ask to go out more. She is also an only dog. She comes here when her parents are on vacation & pees more often because she goes out when my dogs do.

My dogs: because i've had a few dogs over the years with UTI's,I take my dogs out every 3-4 hours when I'm home. I'd rather they have empty bladders.

This is just my guess but I think my dogs get used to peeing more because I'm at home & take them out more, kind of like a big circle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.