Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Love it! :) Merlin has been a little timid around kids. I started the no eye contact thing and he gratefully met 5 kids today with little nerves :)

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Doesnt crouching sometimes make you less intimidating to a shy dog? Not bending forward at the waist but crouching down at the knees?

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it depends on how you crouch. If you're moving more into their space, it doesn't help. Likewise if you're facing them full on. If you crouch away from them and face another direction, avoiding eye contact or reaching for them, that could be ok. Let the dog approach you.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Maybe its the smaller size that is comforting, as long as you're not crowding them and letting them come to you.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
When I ask to pet a dog I usually talk to the owner and ask questions ect.. then while talking I slowly put my hand down and if the dog nudges or shows some sign of wanting petted then I will pet them. if it stays away and closer to the owner I just talk with the owner. I used to go right up to them and start petting. But once I got a reactive dog I changed my ways on how I approach a dog. Most the dogs I see though are pretty familiar with me though and as soon as I start talking, start to nudge me,lol. If I am trying to catch a dog that I see loose this is what I do.

Slowly sit on the ground and call it(not making eye contact)
if it acts skiddish I through hot dogs to it
I through them closer and closer.
once close enough to me I loop a leash around the neck

it irks me to know end when people come running up to me when I am walking Bentley. If you allow him to go to you first he is fine with you. but if you just come over and start petting him he will be standoffish and sometimes growl. It really does make a difference on how you greet a dog.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts