Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Well, I wouldn't have spent nearly as much on my hamsters or fish or chinchillas as I would on my dogs. I just don't think of them the same way as my dogs even though they're all individual lives. That may make me a horrible person, who knows. Never had a cat so no idea what I'd do for a cat.

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
I just spent---probably; I haven't added it all up yet, not sure I want to---over $1000 on an 11-year-old cat who died anyway. I suppose if they said from the beginning that it would cost that much with little chance of saving him, I wouldn't have gone that far, but honestly, he was my favorite and if I could have gotten him back to full health I would have spent All The Money (well, obviously I'd have to draw the line somewhere but it would be pretty high). Plus, it wasn't all at once---it just added up. And we still don't know exactly what went wrong inside of him.

BUT, I do have a few cats who I would not be able to treat like that. If whatever they had couldn't be cured with Convenia and Depomedrol, or something I could sneak into their food, I'd have to PTS because they just wouldn't tolerate force-feeding and/or daily meds. So I do understand that sometimes you can't go as far with cats. Some of them just won't cooperate. Well, I guess some dogs might be like that too.

But, yeah, in the end it mostly depends on long-term prognosis and quality of life.
I understand that, stress is a quality of life issue as well. But if it's just "well a cat just isn't as loving" I just... why even have it then?

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I understand that, stress is a quality of life issue as well. But if it's just "well a cat just isn't as loving" I just... why even have it then?
Growing up we always had a cat or two around to keep vermin down (and to keep more annoying feral cats from moving in). They got fixed and vaccinated and some of them were friendly enough. But they were definitely in the category with the livestock rather than in the category with the pets.

Intellectually I understand why people like them and keep them as pets, but when I see one in the house it looks as weird to me as if they were doing the same with a piglet or a goat.

Actually, I find goats more appealing.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I've spent all of my savings for diagnosis and treatment of Lyme and diagnosis of syringomyelia, over the course of 5 months in vet bills. This was a lot of money, a whole lot more than I would have ever expected to spend on my first puppy at 4-5 months old. I planned to buy a car with some of that money and move abroad and live off it for a couple of months.

I was naive and blindly trusted the vets. I would not do that again. Atm I have no money, except my monthly salary. If anything severe happened to Luna, except from the occasional pain killers, I have no money sent aside. I am slowly building up, though.

Now, I would definitely not spend the same amount of money(or any large amount needed to cure the dog) unless I got a straight answer from the vets, not beating around the bush hoping to guess what is wrong with the dog while doing blind treatment.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
This is a really tough question and I don't think I could answer honestly unless I were in that situation.

For my dogs I would like to think I would spend any amount that I could afford. But my husband makes a lot of the final financial decisions and I'm sure he wouldn't bankrupt us over it. If I had to guess I'd say anything over $5000 would be getting pretty up there. On the other hand, we might make different decisions if actually faced with it. Both our dogs are still young too.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts