Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a limit to what you would be willing to spend? Obviously if I was rich then there would be no limits, but my limits are what I have in credit. Altogether I probably have about $10,000 that I COULD spend. I would spend all of it for either of my dogs.

I don't want to sound mean, but I wouldn't spend that much to save my cat. As much as I love her I think my limit would be around 5-6k.

If it was an elderly animal then I would most definitely not spend that much. I won't ever put my dogs through chemo. I guess it would depend on the outcome of the treatment. I'm not going to spend thousands of dollars to get a few months more of time with my dogs.

What would you realistically spend?

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
For me a lot of it is about probable outcomes and quality of life. I'm not going to put an elderly dog through anything stressful or invasive, so palliatives only there. For a younger dog, I can't really think of a super expensive procedure or treatment that doesn't also come with a lot of suffering and risk, either from the disorder/disease/injury, from the vetting, or both. If the pain is going to be prolonged or the prognosis is poor I am inclined to opt for euthanasia, and making the dog as comfortable as possible in its remaining time if the euthanasia is not immediately called for.

Something like managing a disease with meds can add up over time, but as long as the dog is doing well, that's fine. And if you have to go to an e-vet for something like a blockage or bloat that can get awfully spendy as well, but I don't have a problem paying that, since the recovery is generally quick, if the dog is going to recover.

Maybe I'd shell out for something orthopedic, I guess? I've been fortunate enough never to have a dog with joint problems beyond osteoarthritis, so I'm not really up on what's being done with that nowadays, or the costs and benefits involved.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
So far, I've spent about $1000 for a 14yo dog :)

@jade5280 - If you have the cash saved up, don't overlook chemo or radiation. I haven't had to explore that option, but everything that I've read suggests that the impact on quality of life is minor, compared to people... Worth discussing with your Vet or Oncologist. Dogs seem to handle the treatments MUCH better than we do.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe I'd shell out for something orthopedic, I guess? I've been fortunate enough never to have a dog with joint problems beyond osteoarthritis, so I'm not really up on what's being done with that nowadays, or the costs and benefits involved.
I worry about orthopedic issues. Hopefully none of my dogs need hip replacement or anything. Ryker's lineage doesn't have hip issues, but I don't know if Gypsy's parents had any issues. A very distance relative of Ryker's had to be euthanized at age 7 because of pancreas issues.
As much as I have... currently I only have 1000 dollars saved up.
If circumstances were to come up there is always accounts you can set up where people can donate money. I would always been willing to donate for any member of this forum.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
It would depend on outcome and quality of life. We have pet insurance which will cover $1500.00 and I have an emergency line of credit with about $10K. I couldn't really think of anything that would cost more than that and the quality/quantity not coming into play, but for a good outcome at his age I would spend it all.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
It depends on prognosis and the experience for my pet as much as cost. I probably wouldn't spend $100 on a procedure with a 1% chance of success, especially if it were very invasive, painful, or had a long recovery or bad side effects. But I would drop a pretty substantial wad on treatments or procedures with a decent chance of a good outcome. I would go so far as to say I don't have a hard upper limit at this point in my life.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Depends on the dog's age and prognosis. If the prognosis was poor, I wouldn't be willing to spend thousands on treatment. Same for an old dog. Sometimes it's kinder to let them go.

For a young(ish) dog with good prognosis, I would spend everything I've got. I would max out the credit card and dip into savings. Our savings is also an off-set account for the mortgage though, so I can't safely say we would spend it ALL (hubby might put his foot down there), but I would spend a LOT of money for my dogs. They are my babies.

I can't imagine what sort of treatment would cost more than what we could pay for with the credit card though.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
It depends on prognosis and the experience for my pet as much as cost. I probably wouldn't spend $100 on a procedure with a 1% chance of success, especially if it were very invasive, painful, or had a long recovery or bad side effects. But I would drop a pretty substantial wad on treatments or procedures with a decent chance of a good outcome. I would go so far as to say I don't have a hard upper limit at this point in my life.
Pretty much this. I'm willing to spend whatever it takes if the prognosis is good and the dog isn't really old already.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
...for a good outcome at his age I would spend it all.
^^^ That sums up my feelings perfectly. Realistically, Snowball is 10 but is still in excellent shape.... if he needed a highly invasive procedure but had a good prognosis, I'd at least consider it. But I'm not going to give the okay for invasive and risky procedures to extend his life if there is a large risk that he will have no quality of life after.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was thinking about it because a coworker just spent 5k on vet bills for their cat today and I was talking to another coworker about it who said she was pressed to spend $400 to save her cats life just a few months ago and anything more she would have euthanized it.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
I used to adopt and house hospice cats and with them I was willing to spend for fluids, UTI (single issue that is resolved with atbs with no invasive procedures), and little things like that, but anything over $150 and I would euth them.

We spent $1,000.00 on the BF's cat in November for lump removal (may have been melanoma but was lucky benign). She's only 9 so spending the money on a surgery that was minimally invasive and needed wasn't an issue. For the hospice cats I would never have considered it.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Well I spent $4000 on an elderly dog with a failing heart to hospitalize her she ate about two cups worth of sand. She was a bichon and doing very poorly anyway. I took her to the emergency vet with the intentions of putting her to sleep. I was devastated but she was in very bad shape anyway. Well the nice lady vet talked me into hospitalizing her and she did save her but it took four days. And then she died from heart failure two months later. I would not repeat that again.
So I've spent up to $4000. I don't know how much I'm able or willing to spend currently. I'd have to put it in the credit card. Hindsight being what it is, the older the dog, the less aggressive treatment I'd seek and less money id be willing to spend.

Cookie had three emergency trips this year (all due to choking due to her megaesophagus dx'd at the last e-vet visit) and each visit was around $400. Hopefully now that I've got a good system worked out for feeding her those trips will be few and far between!

Short answer is it all depends.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
There is no limit for what I would spend on Jasper or Mason. Whatever it took honestly. However I would always keep this quality of life in mind as well. I would take out more credit cards, care credit, borrow, loans from banks, etc.

Jasper had a lot of issues from 5 months to 12 months old. Urine problems, Pano, etc. I spent $5,000 in vet bills in the first year and that does not include annuals, or puppy shots.

·
Registered
430 Posts
When we adopted Argos, we didn't know his age but the vet says around 5. We believed he was closer to 10 before we took him to the vet though. Since getting him I've realized that adopting older dogs is definitely our "calling" dog-wise. No puppies or 2 yr olds for us. So we are looking at probably more dogs over a lifetime and more health problems, rather than one dog that lives 12 years with one big health problem at the end, we might have four dogs with four big health problems or more. Realistically we probably would max out around 1000 but I don't think there are any veterinary services in this country that cost 1000 euros. Our last dog who died of ehrlichiosis was under constant veterinary care, tests, blood transfusion, etc for a month and the total was less than 200 EUR.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Pretty much this ^^^

I really should know more about the pet insurance we have (I really should know more about other types of insurance, etc. we have). It's high deductible, but has a fairly high payout limit. My husband bought it because he knows I would spend all our money to save one of our pets and he'd have an upper limit. The insurance is intended to fill the gap between what he'd spend and any amount over that.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I can tell you what we DID spend on Cameron over about 6 months. First we had 4 days of critical care hospitalization at the emergency vet for pneumonia #1: about $3000, then there was 3 weeks of double antibiotics at about $500. Next we had emergency hospitalization for pneumonia #2 @ $3500. We were going to stop there, but we got talked (guilted) by friends into going to UC Davis for further evaluation. He had a rhinoscopy, bronchoscopy, a head CT and a chest CT, and was prescribed more expensive antibiotics. That rang up at another $3000.

When we took him back for an evaluation of his progressing ataxia they wanted to do another CT scan, an MRI of his head, and ultrasound and a lumbar puncture. At that point we decided to stop torturing him and ourselves and we declined. All in all it came to about $10,000.

I would do the hospitalizations again, but I'm not sure the whole UC Davis experience was worthwhile.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I would spend as much as I can without getting myself in trouble. I would not spend all my savings and I would never go into debt for it. As much as I love my dogs and as much as I care about them, even more so about Sookie who helped me through a lot of difficult times, I would not give everything I have for them. This might sound selfish...However, we do have enough savings to afford any care they need.

·
Registered
17,901 Posts
Like others, money isn't really the primary consideration in my mental math when it comes to this. It has to do with the prognosis and quality of the animals' life. I know circumstances dictate an upper limit for most people and I don't judge where other people come down on that decision (barring things like euthing for minor, easily treatable and common issues), but for me -

Age and health of the animal and expectation of prognosis are more important than cost. Also individual dog and the nature of the issue; Bug blows an ACL I'm less likely to do surgery than if Molly or Thud does because of their activity levels and how secure I need the fix to be to hold up to them just living life.

And I would go into reasonable debt for it, but I wouldn't spend like my retirement savings or mortgage the house to pay. There IS an upper limit, it's just that that upper limit is really freaking high because of my somewhat privileged circumstance. If I needed 75 grand even if the outcome was 100% that the dog would live another 10 years without another issue I probably *still* wouldn't do it - because I couldn't. But that's really not likely.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Like others, money isn't really the primary consideration in my mental math when it comes to this. It has to do with the prognosis and quality of the animals' life. I know circumstances dictate an upper limit for most people and I don't judge where other people come down on that decision (barring things like euthing for minor, easily treatable and common issues), but for me -

Age and health of the animal and expectation of prognosis are more important than cost.
Ditto I'll spend any amount if the quality of life will be good after. but I'm not going to spend a ton of money to have my pet suffer along just because I don't want them to go.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts