Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 7 week old puppy and am wondering how much training I can do at once? I want her to be eventually fully obedient, but don't know if I should just teach her two things at the same time, do more than that, etc. If she starts to pick something up - say sit - does that mean I can keep working on that while adding a new lesson? Or do I wait until she is fully capable of doing the lesson almost every time before moving on

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
3,653 Posts
Yeah, you can probably teach a couple different things at once. One 2 minute session for sit, then another 2 minute session a couple hours later for down or something. I wouldn't go far beyond that, but sit and down are such basic behaviors that a pup should get them within a couple days. Just be sure to keep sessions short, and try to avoid being too repetitive.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I think you can teach her two things at once so long as they are short sessions. Use your judgement on how much time to spend on training - if she starts to lose interest or not be picking things up you're probably doing too much.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I usually do two or three things in a session. Once I get two reps of what I want to see, we move on. Need to keep things fast paced and interesting for puppies.

If I spent two minutes on just "sit" my puppy would lose attention and that is the LAST thing I want to teach him (that training is boring).

I also use other opportunities to train as I am playing with my puppy. For instance: I get him to chase a ball and bring it back. He doesn't want to give up the ball when he is back to me. Sooo.. I have a second ball. Most dogs want to "steal" so I play with the second ball and tease him with it. He will usually drop what he has to get what I have. As he drops it I say, "out" and immediately toss the ball I have (which he chases). I pick up the ball he dropped and we rinse and repeat. I let that "out" be his choice and never ask for "out" while tugging with him. He has learned "out" as a result with no fight, no compulsion and a reward (me tossing ball #2).

Put training in your games and he won't even know he is being trained.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.