Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anywhere that shows how much to feed a dog? I know a lot of food bags have a table on them for feeding amounts but I don't have my Canidae bag anymore and Shadow never seems to get enough food. He is always eating leaves and little pieces of wood.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Is he too thin? You should be able to feel his ribs and see a visible 'waistline' on the dog. Your hands should slide easily down his sides (but if it's too bumpy he may be too thin). Eating leaves and sticks doesn't mean he's not eating enough. Most every dog eats leaves and sticks at some point, especially puppies.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No he is not too thin. But he is growing and i just want to know how much i should be feeding him. The last vet appt the vet said he looked healthy but like i said, he is growing and i dont wanna pay the vet every week to see if he is still at a healthy weight.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
just like people ....dogs are individuals and the amount one dog eats to stay a certain weight may not be the same as another.....you can get a general idea of how much from other people but you have to basically get used to eyeballing your dog and when he seems to get to big cut back a little or up the exercise...or if he gets a little thin..you can slowly up the food a little :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
If my thinking is correct I would not use another bag of food to judge how much to feed if it is a different brand.
If you are still using Canidae go to http://www.canidae.com/ and click on your type of food and it will show you a basic feeding guideline. Maybe other brands will too.
Me, I kinda of go by feel. How does he look and how much exercise did he get or will get.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts