Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have two animals. A 20lb calico cat and my 8 month old Shar Pei Gus.

The Cat gets Orijen and eats 5.5lbs a month. It costs $25 a month.

Gus is on a raw diet. The foundation to that diet is a chicken/organ/bone/vegetable mix that we purchase from our local organic meat co-op. We buy 50lbs at a time to get a nice discount. 50lbs lasts a month and costs $50. Once a week or so I will add a couple tablespoons of grapeseed oil or olive oil to the mix. Chicken is so low in fat and grapeseed oil, that we buy in bulk for cooking, has many positive health benefits for heart and skin. A couple times a week he will get a raw egg thrown in to the mix. He likes them whole and enjoys cracking them open.

We supplement that with raw whole sardines purchased at 12 for $6. He gets a few each week whole and frozen. It makes for a great treat. Think fish Popsicle :) They have done wonders for his coat. He's a horse coat and when we first brought him home he was rather rough to the touch. He now feels like velvet and has perfect skin!

A few times a week he will get a raw meaty bone. Beef, lamb,chicken,turkey whatever they have at the butchers the week. Big beef marrow soup bones are his favorite. These can be bought cheap if you develop a relationship with your local butcher.

Also we purchase bulk frozen blocked green tripe.
The tripe costs $1.50/lb. He eats about 5lbs a month. It does wonders for his digestive tract. Green tripe contains many active enzymes from inside the cows stomach as well as a ton of good bacteria and easy to absorb nutrients. Gus poops like a champ.

For training treats we purchase dehydrated beef liver for $2.99/ 200g
They are like dog crack, and work great for training.

Gus eats for $60-$75/m

We are lucky here, we have a huge selection of locally produced meat and a big local organic culture. It makes sourcing quality food for our pets pretty easy. In fact as complicated as it sounds, it's become second nature now and takes very little extra time. This is certainly not the case everywhere. It is not always possible to locate the best buys for your pets on your own. I've had help and I'm here to help anyone that has any questions.

Really interested in what everyone else is doing to feed their animals and how much it costs. Please reply with your experiences. :)

·
Registered
689 Posts
I almost had a heart attack when I figured this out!! EEK!! :faint:
I have 8 dogs, 1 horse, 2cats, 2 rabbits and 5 chickens.
I feed the sled dogs Native performance dog food energy level 4. This costs about $36. The pet dogs get a rebagged food from the feed store which has a combination of Diamond, Taste of the Wild, Native and some other foods. This costs about $12.
I board my horse at a friends house which costs about $75 a month.
The chickens get regular laying mass which costs about $12.
I'm not exactly sure what brand my rabbit food is but it costs about $15.
The cats get Friskies indoor formula which costs about $12.
All in all, my yearly bill for pet food is about $2,200. :help::faint:

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
38 pound Max eats prey model raw, about 17-20 pounds a month. I pay from $.30-1.75 a pound for his stuff with the average coming in at about $.75 a pound so maybe $15-20 a month. The enormous bag of dried beef lung from Costco is his main treat, that cost $10 for a pound and is maybe 3-4 months worth of treats. Most of his treats are just from his raw food, served cut into bits and cooked or left raw. So about $18-23 dollars a month.

20 pound Artie eats EVO. 100 grams a day so a 13 pound bag which weighs 6 kg will last him about 2 months for a cost of $17 a month. He gets the dried lung and a dried prey model style bit that costs $15 a pound. He maybe gets an ounce a week so that adds $4 a month.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Stitch eats 1.5 cup of Innova EVO red meat or chicken turkey a day. Two 28 lbs last her 6 months.
Melanie eats 1 cup of Innova EVO red meat or chiecken turket a day. Two 28 lbs last her about 6 - 8 months also.
Diasy eats 1 cups of Wellness Puppy a day. She finished 15 lbs bag in 2 months. Haven't had her long enough to know how much two 30 lbs bags last her.

I buy all my kibbles 6 months at a time because the local pet shop have a bi-yearly sale. Buy one get second half off. http://www.dogforums.com/general-dog-forum/87742-kibble-sale.html

Last sale I bought two 28 lbs of Innova EVO red meat and two Wellness Puppy for $182. So that is about $364 a year. For treats I buy the Natural Balance rolls and shop them up in pieces. I buy the big roll for $9 and it lost about 1 years. Give or takes about $375 a year.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Wow you guys are getting off cheap. I have cows, chickens, horses, dogs and my yearly feed bill is 34K a year. How do you feed a horse for 75 a month? To feed 1 horse cost me 150/m and that is the horse that is an easy keeper.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
Wow you guys are getting off cheap. I have cows, chickens, horses, dogs and my yearly feed bill is 34K a year. How do you feed a horse for 75 a month? To feed 1 horse cost me 150/m and that is the horse that is an easy keeper.
Between hay and grain for the horse, dry and canned cat food for 6 cats plus who knows how many barn cats, plus raw for the dogs and kibble for the dogs...then you add in treats...I decided not to figure because I probably just don't want to know.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I bored my horse at a friends house and he is a very easy keeper and only needs hay. We do chores once a week or more to help with bored and feed. I also train or help train my friends horses to help with bored also. :)

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I figured it up on another thread a while ago, and it was appalling. I might figure it up again. . .I think it was around $250 a month for everybody.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
cat - before grain cat food -20 bucks a month.
dogs - kirkland adult and kirkland puppy - roughly 50 bucks a month. As soon as these bags are almost done, we will go back to RAW or Orijen, not sure which. which will cost probably 75ish a month.
red eared slider - live fish, anout 5 dozen a month at anout 20 bucks a month.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have four small dogs and I spend $26 and some change with taxes a month on TOTW 15lbs. Sometimes I go for the 30lbs and its like $45 or something like that with taxes and it lasts two months. I use to go to this other pet store and the TOTW for 15lbs which only cost $23 and some change with taxes but they started selling puppies so I stopped shopping there.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Wow, 34k a year? I'm sure that your livestock brings in income to your family therefor it justify you spending 34k on food for all your pets or livestock.

If they are all pets, then I give your props...hehehe

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'm sorry I added that up!! My husband was like honey that didn't include the vet bills either, luckily I'm a farrier and vet tech so I do most of my own vets stuff but serious things get handed over to the pros. The chickens pay for themselves, the horses don't bring in any income as all but 2 are mine, the dogs well the puppies help but we only breed 1 litter every other year. The cows do produce offspring but we only sell the steers (a few) but the meat helps curve the grocery bill...LOL.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
We did this not too long ago.

We spend $105-110/month on animal feed, so around $1300/year (and it will increase next year when we add another dog).

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
When I had my dairy farm just the Grain Bill came to $70k a year. Most years I also bought about $30kin second cutting alfalfa. It would be more now..... but I am not longer a farmer. :(

4 Year Old GSD eats $42 worth of Evo in 7 weeks.
6 month old GSD eats the same amount of Evo.

Six Cats eat 17 pounds Evo Dry in 10 weeks for $40 and $18 every other week in canned cat food.

Total bill is $624 in dog food per year and $676 a year in cat food.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My, you all have large bills, but you do have lots of animals around. I have an 8lb Yorkie that cost about $162/year. I do buy my dog food online, he eats Blue Buffalo. I'm glad at this point that I don't have lots to keep feeding because I wouldn't have the money to.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have two dogs (1 sm, 1 lg) and a large (maine coon) cat and they all are on Orijen and it runs me about 100 a month on kibble only, treats and suppliments/meds are probably another 20 to 30 a month.

·
Registered
229 Posts
We feed my girlfriend's dog, Heefy, and Deebs for about $40 every 6 weeks. Somehow we met the right person and the right place and get a 40 pound breeder bag of Fromm for $40. Zuni eats for about $5 for a month because we feed him raw. Depends on what meat he is eating, but that's what it usually measures out to be. When we fed him home cooked, it was actually about the same.

So what is that? about 400? 406/year?

I know we could cut it down somehow, but with 3 eating kibble, I'd say that isn't too bad.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
hmmm, i don't think that i want to do this... haha!

my cats eat go! grain free canned food for ~ $40 for 12 days so it is more than $80/month but since my oldest cat was just diagnosed with crf i have to switch them to reduced protein food and that will raise the price to $46/12 days.

my ferrets eat go! grain free cat kibble and that is ~$40 for ~ 2 months.

my dogs eat raw and for a while i was getting lots of moose and other meats for free when our friends cleaned out their freezers. all of that is used up now so it is more expensive now. i pay about $1.30/lb for chicken and we got tons of mackerel for a really great price. we are also going to get 1/2 a pig cut and wrapped for about $140 so that is a great price... anyway, that is tons of rambling which comes down to about $130 or so per month for the dogs.

so, the grand total for 2 cats, 2 largish dogs, and 2 ferrets is about $250 or so. i guess that is not too bad.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
i remember figuring it out a while ago.....depending on what our co op is offering and what we find in bulk or on sale, we average about 2 - 3 dollars per day....for both dogs...

so 60-70 per month....

the only time we go over the 2 dollar limit is for fish and goodies we think they should have...the little extras....so i'm probably being conservative.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts