Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm brand new to the tiny breeds and just rescued a doxie-pin yesterday. When I asked the shelter how much he eats a day they said, "A scoop" When I asked the vet they said to "look on the bag of food" Those options just don't sound right or healthy to me.

Nico is almost 8 months old.
Weighs about 9-10 lbs.
I will be feeding Natural Balance LID Chicken and Potato. I break the amount into 2 meals.

The bag says to give him between 1/2 to 1 cup for under 10 lbs. and 1 to 1 1/2 for 10 to 20 lbs.

How much should I give him???
Am I safe to give him just 3/4 cup a day without worrying about his health?

He had some baby teeth removed yesterday so he won't start on dry for another 2 days, but I need to know by then! Please help!

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I'd start with one cup, split between two meals. If he starts looking a bit chunky, cut back a bit. If he looks too thin, bump it up a bit. It can be a bit of trial and error, especially with puppies.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! Yesterday I gave him 1/2 can split into 2 meals and he was fine. I just know it's easier to put weight on than it is to take it off, but I don't want to under feed him. Today is wet food yet, then tomorrow starts dry due to tooth removal

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
If you go to the Dog Food Advisor, there is a calculator. You need to know the calories per cup of the food.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts