Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I went to the vet a week ago I was at a loss of how much to fed my puppy. She said 1/2 a cup a day. Which I've been doing, moistened with puppy milk replacement. Which has seemed to be fine but he's been having an extra late night meal above the 1/2 cup. The last few days he has been absolutely ravenous. His belly hasn't been distended at all when he eats and he keeps whimpering at his bowl after meals. If he's not full after meals I've caught him eating his poop.

We spread the half cup of food over a day but I swear I think I could go up to a coupe or even a cup and half and he would be satsisfied more. I weighed him this morning and he's gained three pounds since last Friday. He now weighs 5 lbs instead of two.

He also gets "treats" when we do little training sessions. Basically I'm getting him used to a clicker and that "clicker means good".

How much should a pit mix be eating??

·
Registered
11,440 Posts
How old is he?

A 1/2 cup seems like a very small amount for a pit mix puppy, even one that is only 5 lbs right now.

A smaller sized pit type is probably around 35-45 lbs full grown, 1.5 to 2 cups of a good food each day is a rough estimate. Intact and active dogs of any age need more than neutered dogs and inactive dogs and of course every dog has a different metabolism. But its a good starting guesstimate. So for a puppy expected to be around that size once grown, I'd probably feed around 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups per day, served over 3 meals. Bumped up maybe to 2 cups when the pup is a couple months old depending on body condition. You want a growing puppy to be slightly lean but not thin or bony.

1/2 cup of food that is 340 calories in a cup is also quite different than 1/2 cup that is 450 calories in a cup.

·
Registered
17,925 Posts
Yeah, you want to basically provide what the dog will eat as an adult, spread into more meals to make it easier. When little, those calories go for growth. When grown they go to sustain the size. So, basically, yeah, I'd aim about 1 1/2 -2 cups and honestly since he's 6-ish weeks I'd probably even do 4-5 meals, but certainly at least . Adjust if puppy is over or under weight.

(my BC adult and BC/ACD X pup eat almost exactly the same amount of food - and that's, yeah, about 1 1/2 cups most days. One's projected to be about 35 lbs and the adult is about 37-38 at ideal weight.)

·
Registered
11,440 Posts
Oh, the pup is 6-7 weeks? Yeah, if you are home then 4-5 meals is better but 3 is OK (before work, after work, before bed basically).

My 12 week old foster puppy in the fall ate the same amount as my 55 lbs spayed 6 year old pit bull. 2 1/2 cups of 475 calories per cup performance food (38% protein, 18% fat).

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My pup is 6 weeks old now. He gets 417 calories in a cup of food, 13% fat and 29% protein. When we went to the vet our pup was barely 2 lbs which is why we supplemented with the puppy milk for a week. He currently eats at 6:00 am, 9:00 am, 12:00 pm, 3:00 pm, 6:00 pm, and then around 9-10 pm we give him warm milk replacement. And again small "treats" through the day of puppy food. He just seemed so ravenous the last few days especially.

·
Registered
17,925 Posts
Just remember you're feeding for a medium sized dog. To get the growth to be medium sized he needs more calories than a 2lb dog would to maintain that weight. So yeah. Up it. Double it, at least.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you both so much! I know he will be a lot happier getting fed more. He's already turned into such a rotten pup. He gets a new toy every few days (washed in hot water and/or bleach before hand because I'm a little OCD about illnesses).

Is the ratio of fat or protein good in my current food? I had also looked at the phosphorus and calcium content and his current food has a fair bit of glucosamine in it as well.

·
Registered
11,440 Posts
Personally, I prefer 30% protein, 20% fat for puppy foods. At least 17-18% fat would be my target. 13% fat is a bit low IMO.

Are you washing the toys because they come from a pet store and you're worried about exposing an unvaccinated dog to dog-illnesses like parvo?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I'm washing them because I'm afraid of him getting sick since he can't have any vaccines yet. And since he was removed from his mother at 5 weeks I don't know if his mother antibodies are as strong?

I feel like a first time mom that's all "my son has the sniffles - off to the doctor!" My poor vet must hate me with as many times I've called their office.....

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
My last pup was eating around 2 cups a day. Maybe a little less at times, but half cup seriously? What food? I was feeding a food that was over 500 kcals per cup with high protein and fat as well - 32/21.

·
Registered
11,440 Posts
Yes I'm washing them because I'm afraid of him getting sick since he can't have any vaccines yet. And since he was removed from his mother at 5 weeks I don't know if his mother antibodies are as strong?

I feel like a first time mom that's all "my son has the sniffles - off to the doctor!" My poor vet must hate me with as many times I've called their office.....
I am not a vet...

My understanding of maternal antibodies is that as long as the pup nursed from the beginning till a normal age, then the actual age of leaving the mama wouldn't matter exactly. Most puppies are weaning onto canned or moistened food somewhere around 4-5 weeks of age. Staying with the mom and litter until 8-9 weeks of age adds social skills. Of course, that is assuming the mom was fully vaccinated.

6 or 7 weeks is normal for the first of the series of puppy vaccines. The series is given because the maternal antibodies wear off at a different age for different puppies, so the vaccines are repeated to minimize the potential time that the pup is without either protection from mom or protection from the vaccine (vaccine won't take effect if the maternal antibodies are still strong). With the last vaccine at 14-16 weeks, very very few puppies still have any maternal antibodies so the vaccine is highly likely to take effect at that time if it hasn't before then.

Soap and water or just hot water will do nothing against parvo anyways. That said, I don't think I have ever heard of store bought toys being a disease risk. If you are concerned, buy toys at stores that don't allow dogs inside like Wal-Mart, Target or Big Lots for example.

As far as risks from non-dog diseases like just plain old dirt or people handling the toys; well, dogs eat dirt and animal poop and raw meat etc.

·
Registered
17,925 Posts
The maternal antibodies are pretty much only conferred from nursing first 24 hours - ie: Colostrum. BUT given the conditions of mom, I'd be careful to, because the best protection comes from a vaccinated dog with high levels of antibodies and if mom hasn't been vaccinated in the past 5 years, who knows.

That said, yeah, soap and water aren't effective at all. Only bleach will kill parvo. I would worry about your shoes if you're in a petstore more than the toys themselves. Parvo transmits through fecal material, or vomit. Odds of those being on toys is way more minute than the risk of the floor itself.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm so super OCD that I've been washing everything in a bleach solution and hot wash after. Shoes get put up the second we are in the house and very very rarely touch the floor.

The only issue I have is that I take him to work and today and a client let their dog just roam all over the office. I asked if he had his shots and he said yes.... but it was still cause for concern for me.

With Belka's mother having been in such poor conditions I'm fairly certain he got the smallest amount of antibodies possible. Which, I haven't seen the mom out so either Animal Control finally did something, they gave her away, or they are keeping her inside.

We have upped Belka's food to a cup and a half a day, still wetting with puppy milk because we have about a fourth of the canister left. We weighed him and he's gained 3 lbs in one week. ^^;

·
Registered
17,925 Posts
Maternal antibodies being low could actually be a good thing. It means it won't fight off the effects of the vaccine so long. Honestly, I'd wait 2 weeks after his next one and then ask for titer testing so you can know for SURE where his immunity is. The peace of mind is so worth it.

(I am also parvo-paranoid. I got my puppy out and had him on the ground in public parks and places after his 14 week shot (he was a little off) but man, I'd spent a week after every time I took him out and had him on the ground waiting for him to die.)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Are you sure you heard the vet correctly? (If so, i might look for a new vet). What does your bag of food recommend as far as how many cup(s) of food (although the bag is usually too much)? Did the vet even ask what food you were feeding (because that changes how much he should have per day).

What brand are you feeding? The fat seems just a little bit low.

Most puppies at that age don't need to eat more than 4 times a day. Soon to be 3, then twice a day around 12-16 weeks, unless still underweight.

I hope his Mom is ok! You said she looked sick, swollen. I'm worried that she also has Heartworm. Your baby has no idea how good he has it ??

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I heard her correctly - she even wrote it down. This vet is new to the practice. My vets office has four veterinarians and I have seen the other three and have always been super happy with them. This is a new one though.

My food lists 1 cup to 1.5 cups daily. It's Purina Pro Plan Focus for Large Breed Puppies. It had the best calcium/phosphorus/kCal ratio that I could find to be delivered. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and it's hard for me to lift large bags of food so having it delivered was my best option. After I ordered it (45lbs) I learned Purina may not be the best option.... is there a way to supplement the fat until the bag is gone?

Is there another food you recommend?

Currently, we are feeding him his food with a mix of puppy milk still as we have a can. I noticed some worms in his poop this morning and he had a second dose of dewormer monday.

Belka's mom hasn't been seen for about a week. I don't know what happened to her or if they are just keeping her inside.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Our dogs ate Taste of the Wild until recently, and now we feed Zignature Zssentials. TOTW had been getting a lot of bad reviews about it making dogs sick, which is why we switched. Not sure if the reviews were true, but we just wanted to be safe. Fromm, Acana, and Earthborn Holistic are also good brands.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Another Issue:

He is eating SO fast! He isn't chewing his food. AT ALL. If we give him treats he literally just swallows them whole. We water his food down but even then he clears his bowl in about a minute. I know this can cause bloat so I'm really worried. I don't know how to make him slow down. He doesn't throw it up and afterward he gets REALLY hyper and wants to play. Which is even worse for bloat isn't it???

He goes to the vet tomorrow but this has been some cause for concern. My mother fed him the other day and accidently fed him a half cup instead of his 1.4 cup and his belly was so big! (we feed him 1/4 cup of food 5-6 times a day) He has also started eating his poop that he finds in the yard....

·
Registered
11,440 Posts
I heard her correctly - she even wrote it down. This vet is new to the practice. My vets office has four veterinarians and I have seen the other three and have always been super happy with them. This is a new one though.

My food lists 1 cup to 1.5 cups daily. It's Purina Pro Plan Focus for Large Breed Puppies. It had the best calcium/phosphorus/kCal ratio that I could find to be delivered. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and it's hard for me to lift large bags of food so having it delivered was my best option. After I ordered it (45lbs) I learned Purina may not be the best option.... is there a way to supplement the fat until the bag is gone?
Another Issue:

He is eating SO fast! He isn't chewing his food. AT ALL. If we give him treats he literally just swallows them whole. We water his food down but even then he clears his bowl in about a minute. I know this can cause bloat so I'm really worried. I don't know how to make him slow down. He doesn't throw it up and afterward he gets REALLY hyper and wants to play. Which is even worse for bloat isn't it???

He goes to the vet tomorrow but this has been some cause for concern. My mother fed him the other day and accidently fed him a half cup instead of his 1.4 cup and his belly was so big! (we feed him 1/4 cup of food 5-6 times a day) He has also started eating his poop that he finds in the yard....

Purina Pro Plan is a pretty decent food. I wouldn't worry about trying to add fat to it for the meantime as with such a small puppy, it is way too easy to over-do adding something like fish oil or olive oil. Just feed the bag you have and meanwhile, check out the many threads here for various food suggestions and debates. A pit pup isn't a giant breed so personally, I think any good puppy or All Life Stages food is suitable. The cal/phos ratio isn't as important for mid-sized breeds.

Swallowing food without chewing it is normal. You can slow a puppy down by feeding from a slow feeder, a toy like a Kong Wobbler, hand feeding or spreading the kibble onto a cookie sheet or into a muffin tin. If you feed him in a crate or play pen, you are not only reinforcing that the crate is a good place but also restricting his movement for a little while after eating.

A half cup rather than a 1/4 cup of food wouldn't worry me. The kibble is balanced so while he "overate" that meal, it wasn't like getting into human food and eating something with a lot of fat or a dangerous ingredient.

Keep him on a leash when you take him out on the yard and pick up poop after each time or at least each day so that he doesn't get the chance to try to eat it.

·
Registered
320 Posts
When you feed kibble, there are so many cool things you can use to slow down mealtimes; in addition to the Kong Wobbler mentioned above, I've used an Outward Hound ball and there are other options from that brand, there are mats that are like big shag rugs so the puppy has to rummage through and snarfle up the kibble, plastic bowls with maze-like indentations where the kibble rolls around while pup is eating...so much fun!

Bloat avoidance protocol is to avoid strenuous activity right after eating. I know my pup gets sleepy after she eats...but it sounds like Belka may not be feeling like a nap after mealtime! You may have to impose rest time with a little crate time (after a post-meal bathroom break of course ;)).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts