Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! :wave: I'm new to this forum and also a first time pet owner. My baby is a 8 week old Pomeranian/poodle. I usually take him out when he starts to whine and an hour before i need to leave which around 6 am. He gets fed, and brought outside. Then around 3:30-4 I i play with him and give him some attention for about and hour or so and i'll put him back in his playpen whenever he falls asleep in room. Most of the time after that I'll let him out again but my attention isn't full on him as i'll be doing other things. He sleeps at 8 or sometimes 11 pm. I'm curious to know if i'm not giving him enough attention and how much time other people are spending with their pets?

·
Registered
320 Posts
That sounds a lot like my work days too, and then on weekend days we spend most of the day together, although I'll still pop her in the crate if we're out at a movie, or somewhere she can't go. Prinna spends a lot of time with other people during my workdays (daycare staff or my parents). As excited as she is to see them, she started making it clear as she got on in weeks that she knew I was HER person. This is my first puppy too, and feeling that bond form is amazing!

When your pup is older a walk on the workdays will be a nice additional bonding time, but for now 8-week old puppies can't go for long walks and they simply sleep a lot! Prinna likes to sleep on her own, but I let her sleep on my lap or next to me whenever she was willing, especially when she was small. She also mostly sleeps in the same room as me (in her crate) and has even graduated to sleeping on the bed some nights (if she can settle!). Short training sessions go a long way, as it's high-quality time together even if it isn't high-quantity.

I feel like dogs are companion animals, so they want to be around you but don't need your attention 100% of the time. It's the best when I can work on the computer/watch tv/eat something and the puppy is in the room playing with a toy or gnawing on her bone. I like to be able to see her, and NEED to be able to hear her because then I can hear if she's getting into something, or asking to go outside for a bathroom break. ;)

·
Registered
7,307 Posts
I spend about 3-4ish hours a day DOING things with my puppy. This includes petting, play, training, walks, hiking, supervised yard time, etc. Otherwise, he is in a crate or exercise pen with some chew toys and I expect him to sleep or entertain himself. On the weekends if we do a day trip it may look like 5-7 hours, but 3-4 (and even 2, every once in a blue moon) is typical during the work week.

(PS Alisa I love your signature and you really should post more photos of Prinna!!!)

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
One thing that is NOT mandatory, but that you could try is that when you are relaxing and watching TV, you might let him fall asleep in your lap, before bedtime. It is a good bonding experience, but if you decide that he doesn't calm down, or that he gets too whiny when you put him alone in is crate, then you don't need to do this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts