Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone, I'm new here, I posted an intro thread yesterday about my new little hound, Argos. He's semi-feral. We adopted him from a highway rest stop where he apparently had been living for some time, in pretty bad shape. One week later, he's in great health and looks half the age he did when we adopted him. He is deeply psychologically wounded and we are working hard to build trust with him.

My question is this: in a case like this, where the dog has been living on the streets its whole (5 yrs) life, and is suddenly adopted into a warm and loving home, is it normal or not for him to want to do absolutely nothing but SLEEP? He sleeps about 21-22 hours/day. We take him on three daily run-walks. During his walks, he is happy, but he really has to be coaxed to leave the house and is overjoyed to come back inside. Back inside, he eats, drinks his water, and loves to be cuddled and petted, but quickly falls asleep and stays asleep. He has a cozy bed, and he also loves to sleep in my arms on the couch. If I'm busy around the house, he wants to be in "my spot" on the couch until I come back and shove him over a bit so we can share.

He has very active running dreams and I wonder if he is homesick for his old free life. I'm concerned he might be depressed and that's why he's sleeping so much. He's much better off as far as we're concerned -- getting great veterinary care, loads of love, warm and dry home, healthy food that doesn't upset his tummy (his tummy was a mess when we found him), clean water, etc. But he is in a new place with none of his old friends and habits.

We live in a small city in Greece where dog psychologists aren't really a thing. Our vet is thrilled with him and says we are doing great, and that Argos is super lucky to be in our pack! But I have new mom worries.... is it really okay to sleep almost ALL the time? And if you've had a dog from the school of hard knocks, did he sleep so much, and did he eventually start living in the real world?

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
He could just be exhausted from his old hectic life. Has he seen a vet to rule out any health issues? My dogs pretty well sleep anytime they aren't eating, outside, or drinking.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Our current foster, now dog, was like this for the first 4-6 weeks. Only wanted to sleep and cuddle unless she was outside. She had a long transport and was in a shelter for a while before coming to us. I think she was just so relieved to have a warm house and bed and love.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
d-ray, yes he's been to the vet three times so far. The first time he was found to have slightly elevated white blood cells but yesterday new tests (after a week on antibiotics) showed his blood is 100% healthy. He's had his first round of shots and got his microchip, tick ampule, and tick collar. The vet didn't find anything wrong at any time except for the initial WBC. We are extremely lucky in that our wonderful vet's office is only about 50 feet from our front door!

Thanks for the reassurance... he sure does love to snooze.

I feel like I keep screwing up... I am trying very hard to win his trust, but today a friend brought over her 4 yr old daughter unexpectedly and the child is phobic about dogs and when he came calmly and harmlessly into the front hall, she freaked out. I had to remove him (gently but he didn't understand) to another room until they could leave (only about 5 minutes, but he was terrified and now he won't come into the hall at all). I feel like we may have just lost most of the progress we made. I hate that I had to do that but I had to act quickly and made a stupid decision. I had to lift him into my arms to move him and of course he hates that.

I am fully committed to him but sometimes I feel like a total idiot and just hope I'm not making this even harder on him.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Just remember it's a marathon, not a sprint. :)

Sometimes situations happen that are out of your control and you just have to do what you have to do, unfortunately. Just keep things calm, keep doing what you're doing, and he'll come around in time.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
My hounds pretty much sleep all day too. It doesn't sound like anything to be concerned about if he still has a good appetite. Like you I've also recently adopted another hound who is very fearful of new things, loud noises, shiny floors, etc. There have been incidences that have scared her and set her back a little, but she has come back around. I would just try to coax him out just a few inches into the hall at a time and give him some really yummy treats (like cooked chicken). Also don't push it, let him come around on his own time. If he seems uncomfortable then stop trying to coax him.

It took at least a month for mine to start getting more comfortable

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Like others said, it takes time and try not to be so hard on yourself. There will be slip ups along they way, but it sounds like you really love this guy and are committed to doing all you can for him. I think you will start to see vast improvements in the next few weeks. Then you will be hoping to get the sleepy dog back :) My little Jazzy went from extremely shut down and afraid of almost everything to a spunky, naughty pup in a matter for 6 weeks. She still has some work to do, but she's like a new dog.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all!! I feel very reassured now. At this very moment he is sacked out on my leg, having a snooze. As long as this isn't a sign of depression or something wrong, I'm thrilled to have a snoozy sleepy snorey dog on my lap all the time. I'm happy I can give him a warm, cozy home after years outdoors on his own.

Current hound status:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts