Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My foster cat, Lexi, weighs just a mere 5 lbs. I'm not sure of her age. I'd say she was under a year...but not too far from it.

I'm feeding TOTW Canyon River Feline Formula and according to the bag, a cat within her weight range should eat between 1/3 - 1/2 cup per day. But it also says that a cat within Gus and Max's weight range should eat between 3/4 - 1 cup per day, which is too much. They gained weight eating that amount.

A 1/2 cup seems like a lot for her...but maybe its not? I feed 3x per day so whatever I fed her would be split up over 3 meals.

Here is the link to the food that I'm feeding with the ingredients and calorie information, etc.

http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/products/cats/dry_food/canyon_river_feline_formula/

Any help with that would be appreciated. I'm driving myself crazy because I'm paranoid that I'm going to make her fat. I have a tendency to do that with cats...seriously. I don't do it on purpose, of course, but I always end up feeding them too much and finding out later that it was, in fact, too much.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
At this point, I'd probably free-feed her (if she's still separate from the boys). At least until she's spayed (an intact cat needs more calories). A hungry stray needs to catch up. Does she snarf her food down or does she pick at it? A general rule is 15-30 calories per pound. . .for her ideal weight. So if you think she's underweight, feed to the weight you think she should be. Of course, even that's a huge range, so it really takes a bit of trial and error to find the right amount for her. But Canyon River is fairly low-calorie so 1/2 cup is probably fine. If you feed any canned food, be sure to subtract that amount of calories from the dry.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At this point, I'd probably free-feed her (if she's still separate from the boys). At least until she's spayed (an intact cat needs more calories). A hungry stray needs to catch up. Does she snarf her food down or does she pick at it? A general rule is 15-30 calories per pound. . .for her ideal weight. So if you think she's underweight, feed to the weight you think she should be. Of course, even that's a huge range, so it really takes a bit of trial and error to find the right amount for her. But Canyon River is fairly low-calorie so 1/2 cup is probably fine. If you feed any canned food, be sure to subtract that amount of calories from the dry.
Thanks Willowy. :)

She totally scarfs her food. She "attacks" it like she's starving but she isn't constantly meowing for food either; she just gets excited when she knows she's going to eat. I don't know if I think she's underweight, she doesn't look too thin to me, she's just tiny in general. She's not really all that active either. She plays but its not vigorous playing. She'll mainly just stand in one area and swat around a hair tie for 30 min. I don't think I've ever seen her run.

I'll go ahead with the 1/2 cup over 3x a day. I don't really want to free feed because I don't want the habit established. IF and its only if I can't find her a home, and she stays here, she'll have to follow the same feeding schedule my cats have.

She'll be getting spayed around the first of the month. I have to wait for the paperwork to go through the shelter for the $40 they are paying of it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts