Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been watching Caeda lately for food allergies/sensitivities since a while ago she had a fair bit of dandruff, didn't like her food much and was scratching a lot (not to bleeding, no hot spots, just a lot).
We've switched her to grain free (sweet potato and fish), we suspect chicken or beef might be the issue. We did this about a month or so ago.
She actually likes her food, which is a good start, dandruff seemed to go away. I just took a look at her, there was a little bit of white flakies on her, but the house really needs a sweep, it could have been dust. I brushed her a bit and it didn't cause more flakies, so I doubt it was dandruff.
She is still scratching a fair bit, occasionally using her teeth on her back leg, not near as much though. I mean dogs get itchy too like humans do I would assume, so at what point do I just let it be and say "she's itchy", rather than "ooh, the new food hasn't gotten rid of the allergy". I really want to pin this down so I'm sure she's on the right food.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you can afford it, I would recommend switching to raw food. That's one of the only things that can genuinely stop allergy type itching, biting on her legs is an allergy related itching. I'll include a helpful link if you're interested in raw food. http://essentials4all.org/Happy_Dogs_.html. They can also get irritated by flea/worming medicine and other chemicals.
If you can't afford a raw diet try a limited ingredient diet, not just grain free. With allergy prone dogs, the less ingredients the better it is. Natural Balance Bison & sweet potato is good, also Back to Basics chicken and turkey (I like this one a little more as it doesn't have any kind of potato & has more protein).

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you can afford it, I would recommend switching to raw food. That's one of the only things that can genuinely stop allergy type itching, biting on her legs is an allergy related itching. I'll include a helpful link if you're interested in raw food. http://essentials4all.org/Happy_Dogs_.html. They can also get irritated by flea/worming medicine and other chemicals.
If you can't afford a raw diet try a limited ingredient diet, not just grain free. With allergy prone dogs, the less ingredients the better it is. Natural Balance Bison & sweet potato is good, also Back to Basics chicken and turkey (I like this one a little more as it doesn't have any kind of potato & has more protein).
We'rea already on Limited Ingredient Natural Balance fish and sweet potato. Completely different protein than she had before (mainly chicken and beef), and the potato as opposed to corn or grain fillers. We thought about raw, but the problem isn't the money....its the freezer/fridge space, there simply isn't space here for another freezer and the freezer space we have now is barely enough (I guess money does play into the idea of buying another freezer if we did have room for it).
She hasn't been wormed since.....hmm....mid last year. I've even made a point of switching the laundry detergent used on stuff she lays on to stuff for sensitive skin.
I just don't know if there is anything to worry about now or not....I mean she could just be itchy, I just don't know whether there's still something to track down. We even stopped giving her peanutbutter treats for a while (they have whole wheat flour in them). Her skin could even just be irritated by our water here, its horrible stuff (though we do get bottled for all drinking).
So frustrating. Apparently the vets in town don't do in depth allergy tests, so we have to go elsewhere for it, making the cost kind of prohibitive. We are lucky, she isn't rashy or scratching until she bleeds.....I just want to make sure she's comfortable and healthy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
We'rea already on Limited Ingredient Natural Balance fish and sweet potato. Completely different protein than she had before (mainly chicken and beef), and the potato as opposed to corn or grain fillers. We thought about raw, but the problem isn't the money....its the freezer/fridge space, there simply isn't space here for another freezer and the freezer space we have now is barely enough (I guess money does play into the idea of buying another freezer if we did have room for it).
She hasn't been wormed since.....hmm....mid last year. I've even made a point of switching the laundry detergent used on stuff she lays on to stuff for sensitive skin.
I just don't know if there is anything to worry about now or not....I mean she could just be itchy, I just don't know whether there's still something to track down. We even stopped giving her peanutbutter treats for a while (they have whole wheat flour in them). Her skin could even just be irritated by our water here, its horrible stuff (though we do get bottled for all drinking).
So frustrating. Apparently the vets in town don't do in depth allergy tests, so we have to go elsewhere for it, making the cost kind of prohibitive. We are lucky, she isn't rashy or scratching until she bleeds.....I just want to make sure she's comfortable and healthy.
Generally, dogs aren't just itchy for no reason but if she's not itching to the point of bleeding or getting rashes then she may have to just live with it. If you're feeding her good food and giving her bottled water and all that she will be healthy.

You may just have to keep experimenting, I know it can get pretty frustrating but sometimes they can have allergies to the smallest little things in foods. My dog for example is allergic to tomatoes/tomato pumace and it did take me a while to narrow it down to that.

She can also have Candida, it's pretty common for dogs eating kibble to develop that and one of the major signs is itching. If she does have that then feeding anything with potatoes (including sweet) will feed it.
As far as freezer space goes for raw food, you can always make it yourself. I did that for my dog til I couldn't afford it anymore. It's a bit time consuming at first (15 min. twice a day so I guess not that much time) but eventually you can get the hang of it and speed it up and you'd only have to put a few sandwich baggies in the freezer at a time, the rest of her food would be in the fridge defrosting.

If that's not feasible for you guys then you may just have to keep looking for a food that works for her better. I would also give digestive enzymes with any non-raw diet, even if the food says it has them.
A really good suggestion for kibble is Brother's Complete Allergy Formula. It doesn't have the potatoes that would feed candida, it doesn't have added MSG (most 5 star kibble does) and they minimally process which is always a good thing.

Best of luck to you guys on your quest for the best food for your dog, I hope any of this helps, let me know how it goes, I've been down that road myself so I know it's hard sometimes. :D

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Dogs can be allergic to other things besides food. Loki started scratching something bad last summer (we attrituted it to a stress with our move, etc) but it carried on well after we moved and into the early fall. Benadryl did the trick. We will wait and see what this spring/summer brings.. maybe it was a one time thing, or maybe he's just going to have allergies to something outside now.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dogs can be allergic to other things besides food. Loki started scratching something bad last summer (we attrituted it to a stress with our move, etc) but it carried on well after we moved and into the early fall. Benadryl did the trick. We will wait and see what this spring/summer brings.. maybe it was a one time thing, or maybe he's just going to have allergies to something outside now.
I'm starting to wonder if there is an allergy to something outdoors. We've had Caeda on the Limited Ingredients Fish and Sweet Potato for an entire bag now, things seemed to get a bit better, but she has started scratching more over the last two days. A LOT more. No scratching or nibbling herself raw, but definitely more scratching than I would consider to be normal regular itches. No dandruff that I'm seeing though. She does have a tiny spot of blood in her right ear, though I'm guessing that is from scratching with a sharp recently clipped nail.
CaptainSpaz, candida is definitely a possibility which I'm watching for. Her ears have been in great shape since the last yeast infection cleared up....but that doesn't necessarily mean she's clear. I'll look into those enzymes though, the feed store may stock some. I also realized that the feed store carries pre-made raw food for dogs, we might give it a go. I work about 5 minutes away, so I could probably go once or twice a week, leaving us plenty of freezer space! :D

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
My dog has minor seasonal allergies that I don't treat. He doesn't scratch in general, but he does scratch his nose, and he had a minor runny nose (wet nose on one side) when he was much younger. He's 11 yo and he also licks his paws after we walk... but always has.

Some general observations/suggestions:
1. My vet told me that long eared dogs with allergies have a greater tendency to get yeast infections. My dog seems to get a flare up after a bath...even if the Vet washes him! He'll get Yeast in one ear, then it'll spread to the other ear. Vet suggested drops once a week in the clear ear and seems to help.

You can smell a yeast infection... smells yeasty. Bacterial infection smells more like pus. Both are mild smells, unless the dog has a very bad infection.

2. My dog may get sinus infections - not sure, but sometimes I can smell something when he breathes out. His mouth is fine - I brush his teeth, the smell seems to be his mouth... but I won't ask for antibiotics until the Vet is able to smell it.

3. My dog started licking his belly raw. In addition to a steroid spray, my Vet gave me a list of allergy meds from benedryl to Claritin, along with generic name and doses. I got a bottle of 300 doses of generic Claritin for $8 at Costco. You might ask your Vet for recommendations.

4. If your dog picks at his ear, that may not cause many problems. But, my previous dog (GSD mix) scratched a lot, he broke the cartilage, so his ear drooped.

5. Sometimes, when my current dog has a beginning yeast infection, he will scratch his eye! Also, he may ask for me to scratch his throat, rather than his ears. Eustachian tube issues, maybe ?

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Baths can help if she has environmental allergies, simply to keep the allergens off the skin. Anywhere from once a week to once a day depending on how bad her symptoms are, it's just trial and error to find the right frequency.

·
Registered
11,348 Posts
try looking on some of the sites and forums for parents whose kids have allergies like contact dermatitis or other itchy skin issues to look for environmental triggers. there are plenty of irritants that can bother both human and dog.

Some very common household irritants are laundry soap, dryer sheets, cleaning products of all kinds, some fabrics (wool for example bothers some people), various plants in the garden and regular soap/shampoo.

Dry air is a bother, if you are still running the heat, try a humidifier.

Fish oil or olive oil in the diet can help if the cause is dry skin.

If raw is a hassle, maybe one of the dehydrated foods?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great info hanksimon! I really don't think she has yeasties right now, I actually make a point of sniffing her regularly because of her previous yeast in her ears, all I'm getting at the moment is that awesome dog smell (maybe I'm weird, but I like it....so comforting, so long as it is dry dog lol). Haven't managed a close enough sniff of her mouth to tell about that though. Sinus problems wouldn't shock me, it seems like everyone living in our area has sinus problems (I'm guessing something in the environment, probably caused by all of the oil and gas activity).
I definitely think there is some kind of allergy going on, but I'm not convinced that its food related (still going to try a different blend, perhaps experiment with a little raw). I'm definitely leaning towards environmental. I'll probably take your advice sassafrass and bathe her more often, try for once a week if I can manage it for a start (if its more than that ooohhh, not going to be fun). I'm staying on top of her ears, trying to wash them at least weekly, and the vet doesn't even require we see him if she needs ear drops, we can just go in and get them and treat her as needed.
On the up side her dandruff seems to have gone away, at least 99% of it anyway, food change and/or a bath with different shampoo may have done that. Her coat is actually incredibly glossy. Something is starting to go right....but I'm going to keep an eye on that scratching. Hoping it is minor and doesn't need treating. Might try some allergy meds and see if it makes a difference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts