Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to give Nala a little pumpkin with her food to help her stools get firmer. I was just wondering how much I should give her. She's 14 weeks old, and weighs 22.5 pounds. If anyone knows it would be greatly appreciated :)

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I don't know if there's a porper dose, but I'd give her a teaspoon/day to start and more if it doesn't help.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts

Just a little pumpkin at a time.

LOL sorry, couldn't help it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks FourIsCompany, I'll start with that and see how she does. and Inga, That is an adorable picture :) My dogs wouldn't sit still for anything like that. I have a hard enough time getting Nala to sit still to get her leash on her for walks lol.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
i give my Borders (40-45 lbs) 1/4 c 2x a day when they have the "runs"....so, for Nala i'd probably start at maybe about 2 tbsp a day and that should be all she needs....you don't want her to get constipated (which it can do when it 1st starts firming up) so see how that goes for about a wk....

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i give my Borders (40-45 lbs) 1/4 c 2x a day when they have the "runs"....so, for Nala i'd probably start at maybe about 2 tbsp a day and that should be all she needs....you don't want her to get constipated (which it can do when it 1st starts firming up) so see how that goes for about a wk....
Okay, Any idea how long it will take for me to start seeing results? will it not be till the next day or would it be in the next BM?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
When I gave it to Sassy to complete her recovery from her big upset 4 years ago the poop went from mucous covered to normal in one day. The chicken and rice got the poop solid but the colon was still pretty irritated and there was lots of mucous before feeding the pumpkin.

·
Registered
291 Posts
...... i'v been noticing that Maybe's stools to be on the softer side and somewhat green....i'v never heard of feeding pumpkin to dogs, would this be a good idea for me to try????

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Okay, Any idea how long it will take for me to start seeing results? will it not be till the next day or would it be in the next BM?
i generally see results by the next day....not "perfect", but noticeable....and it shouldn't be more then 3 days for it to firm up completely....if it doesn't, increase just a bit....

tuffycuddles, the good thing about pumpkin is that there is no harm in feeding it to them (unless, of course, they are allergic to it)....give it a try....i even use it when i'm try to take some weight off mine....it helps to take off that edge of hunger in between.....

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
yup, straight canned pumpkin....make sure it's not the pie filler w/ all the spices, tho...

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
ok....thats nifty....so like canned pumpkin?
Yep. We buy Libby's 100% pure pumpkin.. just make sure you look close at the label so you don't pick up the Pumpkin Pie filling by accident, they look very similar.

EDIT: Errr.. wow.. how did I not see that reply.. ? LOL

·
Registered
291 Posts
this has been just pefect becasue we have a whole pile of 100% pure pumpkin in our cupords. and acctually some real pumpkin in the freezers from haloween :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts