Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Pomeranian poodle is about 4 months old now and he is 17 pounds. A lot of people have been saying he is very big for his age but i really hope he doesn't get much bigger than he is now! Neither of his parents past the knee so i was wondering if because he is a mutt he will grow bigger? thanks.

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
A good estimate for small-medium dogs is to take their weight at 16 weeks and double it. So your pup should end up around 30-35 lbs. Both my dogs are around knee height at the withers and are 27-29 lbs.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
What size Poodle is in the mix? Standard or Miniature? Standards are a minimum of 15" tall, but most are more like 24" to 28" tall, and weigh can weigh 50-ish plus pounds. Minis are 10" to 15" tall, and weigh considerably less.

Was the other parent a standard sized 3 pound to 7 pound Pom, or were they oversized?

·
Super Moderator
2,906 Posts
It's also worth noting the lines your dog's parents came from. In the show poodle world, it's a big no-no to cross the various sizes, but a lot of people who breed crossbreeds will do so freely. My boy, for example, supposedly came from a mini poodle father and a toy poodle mother, but he's bigger than most miniatures (we got him secondhand, but his previous owner passed along the paperwork she got from his breeder - we're not sure how accurate it is). I suspect he has standard poodle somewhere in his lines, for this reason and others. Likewise, even if the Pomeranian parent is small, if any of its parents or grandparents were bigger it's possible for your pup to take after them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts