Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Though he still has another year to fully mature being a bit over 21 months.

Puppy: slept a lot, loved everyone, clumsy as hell, social butterfly (he expected everyone to come pet him), he would back down if challenged. Would alert bark even as a pup.

Adult: sleeps thru the night and is pretty much up all day, very active for his breed, loves children, waits for me or wife to say it's ok before he lets adults pet or approach him, social with animals and people ( much more judgemental and dislikes people who openly squeal or act overly afraid.), will not back down unless me or wife calls him off. Alert barks once or twice then stands and head rolls forward and looks where whatever is until me or wife checks it out.

Around 12 weeks

Little over 21 months

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Physically (this is from 8 weeks to 8 months - or, 8 months to 8 weeks - but not much has really changed besides some more of the black fading and her filling out a little more)

Puppy: Slept all the time, was phased by very little in her home-environment. Never played. Really hard to get her up and moving. Zero guarding tendencies. Terrified of everything outdoors outside of our yard. Didn't really care about people 0 cuddling. Wanted to play with ALL OF THE DOGS.
Adolescent: Leash reactive, dog selective, scared of her own shadow, smart and very trainable. Restless all the time. Still refused to play. Stubborn. Still not interested in people.

Adult (1.75 years old/21 months):
Active 24/7, dog friendly, cat friendly, leash-excited but not reactive, barks at the door when guests enter. Will play, offers toys. Extremely soft. Prefers me over everyone else. Cuddles all day every day. Still very intelligent, but extremely sensitive so is difficult to train.

·
Registered
7,216 Posts
Mine was a pretty typical, love-everything-everyone-all the food lab type puppy up till ~1.5 to 2 years of age. He then became dog selective to the point of being reactive when approached. His interest in other dogs dipped close to zero whereas in his puppy days he lived and loved dog parks and played with all the dogs. He became a little more serious in general and clearly guards the house and warning barks at people he feels are suspicious. But overall he's maintained his love and tolerance for people. He was an intense resource guarder from the start and that's been better overtime through training. He still eats all the things... But he doesn't inhale his food anymore, even though feeding time is still a 100% focused until done sort of ritual.

·
Registered
17,895 Posts
Kylie:

Puppy: Independent, not really all that interested in people, environmentally fearless and willing to try anything, extremely shy/fearful with people. Good with other dogs. She was absolutely NOT into cuddling or being pet, even by us, but with strangers would growl and sometimes air-snap. Huge amounts of toy drive, huge, huge love of learning. Soft, and generally not all that confident, but sweet.

Dog: The biggest changes in her were that her toy drive fell off (I killed it, actually) and I had to work to bring it back, her interest in other dogs is non-existent, and she is incredibly snuggly/cuddly/velcro with me/my husband. She isn't shy/afraid of other people anymore and can be handled and pet, but if they're not offering her food she doesn't have much use for most of them. ...Still soft and easily discouraged, still loves to learn, still environmentally basically oblivious.

She probably had one of the most dramatic appearance changes I've ever seen in a dog.

Thud:

Puppy: If we discard the period where he was sleepy: Trouble. Bit a lot, chewed a lot, pushed boundaries, wasn't really interested in learning or what people wanted. Extremely into physical play. Extremely confident. Extremely energetic. Learned crazy fast when he was motivated or interested. Was moderately easy to motivate with food. Just big, physical, rough and tumble, independent, and sweet, sweet, sweet when you got his attention but still super independent. Took forever to learn to walk decently on a leash, and his recall was back and forth for eternity. Crazy high prey drive. Crazy impulsive. For no amount of time did he have a major issue with other dogs or people (was briefly overly friendly and even more briefly kind of scared)

Adult: Adult here is what happened after he was 2. Before that, puppy applied. Rock solid. Level headed. Appropriately protective. Listens fairly well most of the time. Still not biddable. Still likes to use his mouth. Rarely gets into 'trouble', but mostly because he makes really good decisions that at least appear to be thoughtful - not because he cares about making me happy. Still crazy affectionate. Still glued to me like a barnacle. Still has crazy amounts of prey drive. Doesn't care about dogs or other people at all, though if I tried to bring a large intact male into this house/onto his turf he'd probably try and take them apart. So, biggest changes are basically that he's less impulsive, I guess, and more appropriate in general, and finally learned a thing or 3.

Molly:

Puppy: Super eager to learn, super toy motivated and driven, super environmentally sensitive in every way that counts. Prone to OCD. Stupid high energy. Reactive as snot toward just about everything in the world by the time she was 6 months old (not an issue when she was younger). Super excitable. Absolutely NOT physically affectionate, ever. Biddable. Handler focused. Sharp. Had to be crated because she was easily overstimulated and got crazy when tired.

Adult: I feel like answering this before she turns at least 2 is a huge disservice. I haven't seen really mature behavior from anyone before 3, but. Environmentally sensitive. Prone to OCD like behavior. Likes to chase everything. Biddable. Handler focused. Sharp. Excitable. The only way the dog she has become is not the puppy she is, is basically that she has a great off switch, her reactivity is lessening, and she's somewhat cuddly now, for brief periods of time.

However, I in NO WAY believe this is the end result. All of Kylie and Thud's stuff changed more from 1-3 than it did from 2 months old to 1 - and Molly's not quite 16 months old.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
KdawnK coloring wise that by the pics is a pretty big change and lookd cute as a pup but love the coloring as a adult and just looks so happy.

CptJack the first 2 are some really big changes looks wise, Thud and the stories of him have always been a favorite of mine though. They all look loved and happy also.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
KdawnK coloring wise that by the pics is a pretty big change and lookd cute as a pup but love the coloring as a adult and just looks so happy.
Yeah she had a completely black head when I got her and I really liked that I still get the feeling that she's "balding" when I look at her because I remember the black and now it's been replaced by a red-brown/tan. I also liked that as a puppy her tan was really dull and brown looking and it got super coppery. She has the biggest smiley face all the time! Your guy looks like a big lap dog :D

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Watson looks basically the same. Here is a comparison of 3 months and 3 years.

Puppy: Happy, goofy, loved everyone and everything. Wild child who needed a lot of exercise before classes or going out in public. Very sweet and snuggly. Interested in learning and interacting

Adult: Not great off leash anymore. Still happy and goofy but more serious about it. He loves people he knows, but is generally not that interested in people he doesn't know. If they want he will politely greet them for a couple seconds but then he moves on. Obsessed with other dogs. He still needs exercise to settle in public but at home he's a sweet lazy boy who just wants to hang out with me and watch tv. He's snuggly in a good way - not pushy or having to always touch me, but he's always there.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Gem- appearence..she filled out and added more spots. Thats about it lol.
Behaviour-she didn't. Gem is exactly the same dog at 4 as she was as 3 months. Smart, eager, friendly, rough, dominant, rammy, smart-***.

Gypsy- Appearence- her sable was super patchy for a short period as a puppy, now its all dark and even.
Behaivor....she doesn't bite people anymore, she can be touched and handled without biting and screaming, and she got smarter. For a long time I considered her to be my dumbest dog, she put no thought process into anything, noe though? I easily consider her to be one of my smartest dogs.

Does Sola count? She is 10.5 months now..

Baby puppy- looks- tiny, super fluffy. She went through a phase that scared me..her structure was really screwy, with her chest really wide, and her front legs elbowed out and toed in, she walked like a bulldog.

Behaviour- super confidant and friendly, playful, phased by nothing.

Now: appearence- evened out, very nice structure. Still tiny, and fluffy

Behaviour- very wary of strangers, can be reactive, random fears here and there. Still confidant and friendly just not to the extreme degree as a baby puppy.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Who would ever thought that this....(with her little rat tail as I used to call it)
IMG_9877a by rzyg, on Flickr

would grow up to be this....(with her sword of a tail, I friggen love her tail!)
IMG_4516a by rzyg, on Flickr

I had no clue what so ever what to expect of her coat. She was listed as a cocker mix on petfinder, a puppy dumped on the streets at 8 weeks of age. We assumed cocker/aussie mix with her coloring. I think that has to be pretty close considering how she looks now too. Her coat is definitely not like my two american cockers.

As a puppy she was full of herself. Fearless and ran zoomies around the house about 50x a day. She had no down time except at night when we slept. Was not cuddly at all and preferred to lay on hard surfaces, loved our coffee table. When real young training was a bit harder as she wouldn't settle down to focus but was reliably potty trained in the house by 4 months of age and allowed free roaming.

As a 2yr old she is a very happy dog, has a few noise issues (loud unknown noises and some odd quiet noises) but it isn't a paralyzing fear at all. She loves pretty much everyone and likes other dogs (except very intense dogs like some border collies, I think they intimidate her). She is still not a cuddler but will come up to you and put her head down and lean into you for some loving. We always feel very honored if she comes by us to lay down as she still prefers hard surfaces by herself to lie down. Thankfully she does take naps during the day now and her zoomies, while they still happen daily it is sometimes only once a day! She is a very much, I want to please you type of dog and trains rather easily.

She was barky as a puppy and still is a barker now too when at home but in strange places she is quiet.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Mia has changed a lot but not really?

Puppy to about 3 years: Busy busy busy. Hyper alert. Just plain hyper. Smart. Into trouble. Did not turn off. Shy and timid. Mildly fear reactive towards dogs and people. Super attached to me. Could not be crated by herself or sleep in a different room from me. Obsessed with tennis balls.

Adult (3+ years): Still highly attached to me possibly unhealthily so lol. Still antisocial/shy. Less tolerant of kids but more tolerant of adults. Which is kinda weird. She sleeps most the time now, still a tennis ball nut but turns it off now when asked. Still gets into things if left loose. Can now sleep in her pen and not on the bed without screaming. Can be crated now. Still loud. Physically she went from a beanpole to a dog that gets fat fast and also her tan creeped a lot. Still hates other dogs.

Hank I got at 10 months and he's mostly the same but the last 3-4 months he's getting MUCH edgier with other dogs. It wasn't unexpected considering his breed mix. He's easier with the papillons now (less wild, knows the house rules) but has started scuffles with male dogs on occasion and getting more frequent. As an older pup he was 100% submissive and easy going. Now he is not. He is still not a bad dog with other dogs but I'm having to run herd on him a bit and keep aware of him and get him to cool it sometimes. I will say Hank doesn't start anything typically (except he wanted to guard a hole this weekend *eyeroll) but moreso he seems to take offenses personally and won't back down. At all. Example: This one BC took a pot shot at Hank over a frisbee and Hank has basically decided the BC is evil. There is a boston terrier that Hank and he start posturing and eyeing each other and making a show about. He belongs to a friend and from the get-go the two have had issues. So no more dog parks long story short.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts