Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Re: How Much is "True" - Personal experiences to rebuke the "lies"

I suppose I'm confused by this list. You're considering that many different breeds? It's kind of hard to narrow it down to give experience when the list is a mile long and the sub categories are random. The low energy list is totally off base, though. What exactly are you looking for in a dog?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts

The biggest thing you need to look at before you get a dog is yourself. How much time can you devote to exercise is a big question/issue. If you don't have much time, you want a smaller dog who will become wore out more quickly.

Any dog has the potential to be what you want it to be. However, it means devoting a lot of time to it. You have to be patient and understanding. You need to read, read, and read some more about dogs and training them. I personally believe you should go with positive training, with no bad corrections. (I do not mean let your dog into a dangerous situation, either)

So, a good way to get more help would be to tell us about your lifestyle, too. How much time can you be home with the dog? How long will the dog have to be alone every day? How much time can you devote to training and exercise every day?

And really, really evaluate if you're ready for a dog. So many people think they want a dog, then they get one and it ends up in a backyard, stuck in one of those small 10'x10' cages. I am not saying you will do this, just really think about it before you get a dog.

You've already made a great step by joining the forum! So you're definitely headed in the right direction. Good luck! =] Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
1,215 Posts

That list is utterly confusing. Are we going from the little list at the very top? If so then I'd go miniature poodle. But that's just me, I am bias lol. They are awesome little dogs with huge personalities and are super smart. Oh but I tend to find they do need a fair bit of exercise and training. They a little demon dogs if left to their own devices and not trained.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts

I don't understand the lists either.. but I'm shocked that Great Danes don't appear anywhere! :D

·
Registered
7,443 Posts

Are you saying you're considering every other breed on that list? You're gonna have to narrow it waaaay down if you want in-depth opinions!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts

why in god's name would I want a great dane in an apartment?
Actually, Great Dane's make great apartment dogs :) Don't need much exercise, low energy, couch potatoes - they actually take up 'less' space than a small high energy dog. So that's why 'in God's name' one may consider a Dane for an apartment! :D

·
Registered
1,215 Posts

Actually, Great Dane's make great apartment dogs :) Don't need much exercise, low energy, couch potatoes - they actually take up 'less' space than a small high energy dog. So that's why 'in God's name' one may consider a Dane for an apartment! :D
I second this!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Why would you want a Boston in an apartment? I'll take the larger, lower energy dog.
Because most apartments have size regulations for dogs, obviously. I said apartment from the beginning.

Because like most law / regulation obeying human beings... must not apply widely here... I would rather not find myself fined and kicked out of said apartment.

I don't mean to be rude but I'm a new time dog owner and I've got more sense than to suggest a giant for an apartment.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts

I don't mean to be rude but I'm a new time dog owner and I've got more sense than to suggest a giant for an apartment.
If you're new then that would suggest you have lots to learn :) Great Danes do make great apartment dogs. It may not be the dog for you, but they do very well in that living situation :)

·
Registered
3,511 Posts

Because most apartments have size regulations for dogs, obviously. I said apartment from the beginning.

Because like most law / regulation obeying human beings... must not apply widely here... I would rather not find myself fined and kicked out of said apartment.

Your OP is gone so I don't know what you said but if you just said apartment and didn't mention a size restriction it's fair to assume you don't have one. Not ALL apartments have them. And as the others have mentioned great danes can do wonderfully in apartments. That doesn't mean it's a good breed for you personally but living in an apartment wouldn't be the reason they are a bad fit.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts

I can understand the confusion because when people talk about their breed or favorite breeds they will make a statement such as "Great Danes make great apartment dogs" (any breed, just put Dane in as it was handy)

I'm sure there are some Danes out in the world that have destroyed apartments. Just as there are some small dog breeds that have produced some fantastic couch potatoes.

I started in Weimies and remember back in late 50s when 1st reading the breed book, it was if the breed could walk on water it was so magical. It's the dog in the breed not the breed in the dog. Especially nowadays with all the shoddy outright stupid breeding going on.

Now, yes there are some Great Danes that are great apartment dogs just not all of them, not picking on Danes just breed info pushed to newbies that can be very confusing. Sorry I got a tad repetitive.
Now a newbie reading this stuff could definitely get confused. I'm just sayin'...

·
Registered
1,075 Posts

Now, yes there are some Great Danes that are great apartment dogs just not all of them, not picking on Danes just breed info pushed to newbies that can be very confusing. Sorry I got a tad repetitive.
Now a newbie reading this stuff could definitely get confused. I'm just sayin'...
Of course there are exceptions to every single breed standard out there - that's just common sense, no? I think in general when someone is asking for opinions on breeds, you a) base it on breed standard, and b) personal experience(s). Newbies need to be able to extract the information and make a decision for themselves.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts

Of course there are exceptions to every single breed standard out there - that's just common sense, no?
I agree, but that's why I still thought a disclaimer was not a bad idea cause sometimes when people (newbies) read stuff, they are excited etc and it does not hurt to give them something to ponder about.

My personal opinion is that with shoddy breeding there may be more than an exception. Maybe, just maybe it nudges the newbie to investigate more and maybe hunt down a good/better breeder.

OP has started new thread looking for a small dog so the Great Dane is already a finished product. You got to read that thread.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts

I read your OP and I honestly can't remember if you said apartment or not because the list was so crazy. I think there was a section on apartment dogs on there, but they lay out of the list was super confusing and even it was still up I wouldn't have known where to begin. So, don't suggest people in this thread are senseless when what you posted made.. no sense.

Here is the way most people do it. Post what you're life is like (I live in an apartment, this is what my day is like), what you would/wouldn't do with a dog grooming, exercise, training, etc. (I do not want a dog that requires heavy grooming, I want a running companion, I want to compete in agility, etc.) and then maybe a few breeds that you like rather than 40 breeds you might like that have very little if any similarities. Try that, then you can consider chastising people for not suggesting what you want.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts