Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have an almost 4 month old Lab-Cocker Spaniel mix, shes around 21lbs and all black.

I have been taking her on mini-hikes around an hour or more each time. I live in California so its been pretty hot but i always carry a couple bottles of water and her pop-up bowl for water breaks but it worries me that i might be over-doing it with her still growing body. We go almost every day.

After every walk shes tired out and when we get home she hops into her pool in the backyard and than knocks out for a bit sleeping. My sister made the comment that maybe i was overdoing it and now im worried that i am.

Shes the first puppy ive ever been responsible for in regards to raising her and i want to do good.

We go to parks, walk trails with hills and lakes. The paths are usually dirt and rock trails, sometimes cement.

Opinions on exercise for a puppy?

·
Registered
337 Posts
For a rough guideline on how long you can/should walk a puppy, 5 minutes per every month of age. An hour of hiking is too much; an hour of hiking every day is WAY too much. Almost all of the exercise a puppy that young receives should come from free play.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I agree that an hour of hiking every day is probably too much for such a young puppy. An hour long hike here and there is fine, but I would keep daily walks shorter and add in more free play and running around for exercise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ah damn I feel bad now!

But thanks a lot I will cut the hikes back to shorter walks around a small lake. And Zoey does have a lot of play time, there are a lot of kids and people around playing with her every day from my 10 year old brother and his friends to my neighbors and I and my extensive amount of family. I just didn't consider it exercise till now.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts