Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My shih tzu x pekingese puppy will be a year old in 2 weeks, and I'm just wondering what is too much exercise. I've read and heard that both shih tzu and pekes don't last long, and the average time is about 15 min a walk. However, my pup has walked up to 2 hours once and was ready to play afterwards (I got lost on our walk and didn't realize how long it took to get back home, lol). I've experimented around with 30 min, 45 min, 1 hour, and 1.5 hour walks and she seems fine after all of them, and always ready to play afterwards. I am wondering if I am pushing her too hard and she's just being a good dog and going where I'm going. She never really gives me a sign that she's really tired, maybe a little panting but that's it. Is my dog a super puppy and is just one of those anomalies that doesn't fit the short, smooshed face, small dog norms? Or am I making her do to much and should shortened the walks? Note, I never make her walk when it's warm out. I always make sure it's in the early morning and/or later in the evening when it's nice and cool.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I don't think a healthy, young small dog would top out at 15 minutes. If she's showing no signs of being tired, and still wants to play afterward, she's probably fine. You could always ask your vet.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I've taken my Shiddy on hourlong hikes in state parks...mostly in fall, winter and spring. I make sure not to walk her for more than 20 minutes at a time in summer and only walk her in the mornings/evenings. When we go camping in summer time I will douse her with cool water periodically even when just lounging around the beach/campsite.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts