Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen a LOT of puppy applications. A lot of them are the same but some ask for info that I’m not aute I’m willing to provide.
For example, some breeders want photos of everybody in the household. I think that’s crazy. Others want references, including names, addresses and phone numbers. I don’t know if my friends want me to give all of that info to people they don’t know.
Some actually ask for the ages of everyone in the household. I understand that they may not want amall children or very elderly people in the home but just ask. I don’t know that I want to give out all that vital data.
How much into do you think is reasonable?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
All except the photos are reasonable. I don't want to know what you look like unless I ship a dog. I won't ship a dog so it is a moot point.

Yes. The questions are reasonable.

So you call your friends and be sure they are willing to provide a reference. If not, find someone else. I am rehoming a dog. I want to know people who know how you are with dogs and pets. I want to hear from trainers and pet sitters.. a previous breeder.. vet.. I want to hear that you would provide a good, stable and long term home.

I ask for ages of everyone in the household for a rehoming. Most of my friends who breed to likewise. Absolutely.

You have kids under 10 years old? Maybe not going to get my dog.. unless your references verify that you can control your kids around the dog. You have no kids and are very young? I am going to ask you if you are planning to have kids and how soon.. and if the answer is yes and soon.. then I want to know what you will do with the dog when you have a new baby to care for. Honestly? In those scenarios I move on to another person.. and with puppies from a breeder with a long waiting list, they move on from a potential buyer a lot easier if questions are not answered or the answers are evasive.

After talking with breeders (good breeders who take dogs back and all the rest) I can tell you they ask all of this AND STILL have horror stories because people lie and references will sometimes lie. When they sell a dog they have a contract and most of those contracts are not worth the paper they are written on. They still have dogs end up in shelters (this is why breeders microchip and keep their names on the file for the chip as an alternate to call). They still have dogs abused. While the stories are not common among good and established breeders, there are enough of those stories to put me off breeding for LIFE.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
If you don't want to give the data, then don't. Just don't expect to buy a dog from the breeders who ask for it. Remember.. they have a list and a back up list. They do not usually need you.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don’t have anything to hide. However, I don’t want to be judged by the way i look. What does that have to do with anything?
If I were a breeder, I don’t know how much emphasis I’d place on references. My last dog had short hair, so I groomed him myself. I never use petsitters, only family members. I don’t have a dog now, so there’s no current vet.
I guess my last vet would count but there are also limitations on what vets can say.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Yeah it doesn't really surprise me either (although I draw the line at pictures!). We had to do that when we adopted from a rescue, and I can imagine that someone placing their puppies would want them to go to good homes too.

The reference part is a bit annoying when you don't really know anyone though and we struggled with that in the past.. but yes... you could put anyone in there and they could just lie anyway, so I'm not sure how useful that really is, but yes, they will call and want to hear that you're a responsible person. And the vet can be an issue if you don't have a pet (one of my friend was trying to get her first puppy and that was a problem for her) - but if you had one before, they should still have records, all the breeders want to know is that you were responsible and getting your pets vaccinated.

The bottom line though is that when you have a lot of people interested in your puppies, you want to make sure that they end up with the best homes. If you have bigger dogs or dogs that are not always fantastic family dogs, you probably won't want to place them with a family that has young kids either. And I agree, it sounds crazy, but so many people end up neglecting or rehoming the puppy because it's too much work... so they want to make sure that it's not going to happen.

So unfortunately, if you want a puppy from them, you will have to comply (I really don't know about the picture thing though! it sounds wrong).

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
The picture things seems a bit weird, perhaps a breeder who has had one too many horror stories and is trying to do everything they can to make sure their pups go to a good home...but everything else seems pretty normal. They'll even ask you those questions at a shelter. Ask your friends if they will be a reference, maybe some coworkers. Maybe ask your boss if you have a good relationship with him/her.

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
Everything but photo sounds normal to me.

It is kind of like a job application in regards to the references, just trying to make sure you are who you represent yourself to be. And ages of household members aren't really anything secret or something with potential for ID theft. Ages by years old I mean, not birthdates.

When taking a deposit, I can see asking for a look at a photo ID of the person paying and of course the photo ID of the person signing a purchase contract (even as not very enforceable as most of those are). But not photos just to apply. That part seems to have too much potential for racial or ethnic bias.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
My breeder wanted to be FB friends with me beforehand. She didn't explicitly say she wouldn't sell me a puppy unless I did so. But she made it very clear that she wanted to know me better as a person. When I went to pick up the pup, she also invited me out for dinner and asked if I wanted to see the mom of my pup train with her.

I was a little hesitant about the FB thing at first, but I appreciated/still appreciate my breeder's attention to detail and genuine care for every puppy and buyer. I still contact her on and off and she is just an amazing person... not to mention one of the best, if not the best (according to another breeder in this same breed), breeder for this breed in this country.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
My breeder wanted to be FB friends with me beforehand. She didn't explicitly say she wouldn't sell me a puppy unless I did so. But she made it very clear that she wanted to know me better as a person. When I went to pick up the pup, she also invited me out for dinner and asked if I wanted to see the mom of my pup train with her.

I was a little hesitant about the FB thing at first, but I appreciated/still appreciate my breeder's attention to detail and genuine care for every puppy and buyer. I still contact her on and off and she is just an amazing person... not to mention one of the best, if not the best (according to another breeder in this same breed), breeder for this breed in this country.
This is really good in one respect. It means the breeder is connected and should be there for you if you need them.

Things can "go wrong" in anyone's life (tragedy and so forth). If something happens and you cannot possibly keep the dog, a breeder who is connected with you will be more likely to take the dog back.

This is super important. Anyone who breeds dogs should be wiling to take back any dog they have bred at any time.

·
Registered
180 Posts
In my opinion, they need to know who my vet is (or will be if it's a first pet), the ages of people living in my home, age, breed and gender of other pets, what containment (fencing) I will provide for the animal and, proof of income (to show I can provide for the pet.) Beyond that, it's none of their business.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Personally I have never bought from a breeder before, but everything you've listed sounds perfectly reasonable except the photos. I would not provide photos either. But references are important - haven't any of your friends been references for anything before? It's pretty common. The number and age of people in the house is also critical information.

Think about the kinds of questions you would ask if you were re-homing a dog you put a lot of effort and love into? You wouldn't want him/her to go to just whoever asked. Breeders usually have wait lists so they can be selective and they will be. If you leave that information off you will likely be passed over.

·
Registered
526 Posts
The questions I definitely find reasonable. Every rescue I've ever gone to has asked for references. If you don't have a groomer or whatnot, let them know that. There's nothing wrong with saying "I did the grooming myself." The first one wanted a vet reference. We had never had a dog so had no reference. We told them that and told them the vet we would be using.

We asked friends (and our agility trainer) if we could use them for references and asked the best way to contact them. Then they know it's possible. I've been a reference for other people as well. It was no big deal. They called and asked a few questions and that was it.

And I've always had to list who else is in the household. Partially because everyone has to be in agreement (the last rescue we adopted from requires everyone in the family to go to meet the dog).

The pictures are a little weird so maybe you could ask WHY? It might be as simple as "we want to make sure the people who show up to get the puppy are the ones who actually submitted the application." But I would definitely worry about judgment (especially as I'm a fat girl!). I've not had to submit photos to rescues.

The questions I definitely find reasonable. Every rescue I've ever gone to has asked for references. If you don't have a groomer or whatnot, let them know that. There's nothing wrong with saying "I did the grooming myself." The first one wanted a vet reference. We had never had a dog so had no reference. We told them that and told them the vet we would be using.

We asked friends (and our agility trainer) if we could use them for references and asked the best way to contact them. Then they know it's possible. I've been a reference for other people as well. It was no big deal. They called and asked a few questions and that was it.

And I've always had to list who else is in the household. Partially because everyone has to be in agreement (the last rescue we adopted from requires everyone in the family to go to meet the dog).

The pictures are a little weird so maybe you could ask WHY? It might be as simple as "we want to make sure the people who show up to get the puppy are the ones who actually submitted the application." But I would definitely worry about judgment (especially as I'm a fat girl!). I've not had to submit photos to rescues.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I find it reasonable to ask what can be proven either on paper or via a home visit. References can and will lie, photos could be of anywhere. So vet, income, household members, containment. That's it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts