Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The vet I currently see is great. The office is very clean, bright and the staff is always professional. My complaints are very limited...

However, the price of general procedures has me stumbling backwards. Maybe I am being unfair, but I think $59 just to walk in with my dog is a lot.

How much does your Vet charge for an office visit?

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Hmm, that is steep. My vet doesn't charge an office fee for stuff like shots and heartworm tests. For a sick visit the office fee is $35. My mom's vet charges a $20 office fee for all visits. The emergency vet is $75 during normal business hours on Saturday and Sunday, and $100 for after-hours visits.

But I've always thought that New England was an expensive place to live in general. Those prices may be in line with the general cost of living.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I don't think that is alot of money, especially for a good vet. The vet has overhead, rent, gas and electric, water, vet techs, receptionists and a whole lot of education and experience. You get what you pay for. Your personal doctor doesn't see you for free. It is unreasonable to expect any medical professional to see a patient for free.

I expect my dogs' vet to be up to date with education and office/medical equipment. I expect to have quality vet techs working with my dogs. It all adds up.

Those prices may be in line with the general cost of living.
Yes,....I live in SoCal.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I'm in the SF/Bay Area. It's $50 for an office visit for my vet. I haven't had Molly in for any illnesses yet but in the 3 vet visits she's had since we've had her, I've paid $50 plus the cost of the shots.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I would say it is normal, the only time I have ever gotten in for free was when my dog has a golf ball sized bump at an injection area, and because it was their shot that did it they checked it out for free.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
$50 for basic exam & wellness exam. Longview, WA. Avg rate here.

Eta...if just vaccines, no actual exam needed then no exam fee. We don't pay any exam fee for an appt for vaccine updates unless it's time for routine exam.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think that is alot of money, especially for a good vet. The vet has overhead, rent, gas and electric, water, vet techs, receptionists and a whole lot of education and experience. You get what you pay for. Your personal doctor doesn't see you for free. It is unreasonable to expect any medical professional to see a patient for free.
I never even suggested that it be free . . . and because the facility is a major veterinary medical center I understand they have lots of overhead.

I just wanted to get a sense of what everyone else was paying for a general office visit/ annual exam and where they live.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I never even suggested that it be free . . . and because the facility is a major veterinary medical center I understand they have lots of overhead.

I just wanted to get a sense of what everyone else was paying for a general office visit/ annual exam and where they live.
Sorry, I didn't quite get where you were coming from. That's about what I pay in SoCal.

·
Registered
475 Posts
$58 for just a basic exam/visit (edit: $25 for a re-check). Every visit is automatically a once-over exam regardless of the reason, which I'm fine with. I don't consider the cost high at all... I live in Canada where I can go to the (human) doctor for free, but I've seen foreigners walk into our walk-in clinics and have to pay well over $100 to see a doctor at the clinic, so $58 for Sam to see the Vet seems reasonable somewhat reasonable to me when I think about it in terms of that.

"You get what you pay for," a mantra my dad drilled into my head over the years. I'm happy to shell out the money.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I agree it depends on the vet. My vet charges $55 for a general office visit, $35 for a recheck visit. There's plenty of vets that are cheaper then that, but none offer the services and knowledge she does, she's the best, and I'm happy to pay the extra for a great vet with a state-of-the-art clinic, so if something does happen or goes wrong, she's got all the proper equipment and meds to handle it!

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
$48 here on Prince Edward Island. Pretty sure it's gone up quite a bit in the past couple years.

I take all four of my animals in at once for their annual exams, so I get charged the $48 once, then $24 three times ("multiple pet" discount), plus of course the cost of any vaccinations or medications. Last visit cost me $288.09 (I bought a couple of doses of Revolution, too).

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Examine fee is about $45 if I recall correctly. If I'm just going in for vaccine boosters I only have to pay for the boosters themselves. Our usual 'sick' visits are often small infections and I'll pay about $90 for an examine and antibiotics.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
$25, just gone up from $20, but I go to a humane society, not a regular vet. They always charge an office visit fee, unless I'm just picking up heartworm meds.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Wow... my clinic is $79.50 for an exam.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm in the Florida panhandle and my vet charges $40 a visit. I can take Ollie in to get weighed in order to get the proper heartworm and flea meds, but anything more than that and I pay the $40. Sometimes I think it's a little high but at least it isn't the $200 I pay whenever I step foot in my doctor's office :rolleyes:.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
$32 and I'm in Ohio. A followup is $20 if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
I looked through some reciepts and I see $38 for an office call. I dont recall if that was an annual or a sick visit or what. I'm in SoCal btw and my vet is known to be higher priced than others in my area.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts