Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently researching for getting a dog in a few years. I plan to feed Evo and we are currently thinking about a dog 10-20 lbs. I was wondering how much to expect it to eat monthly. Just so we know how much we can expect to feed so we can make sure we can properly care for a dog before we get one :)

I know about flea treatments vets etc this is the onlyy thing I can not seem to find.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Different dog foods equal different amounts per dogs age and weight. Two of my dogs. 17 lbs and 19.5 lbs. as adults..... with the food I feed, eat 1 1/3 cup each a day.

You could go to a pet store and read the feeding guides also. I am not sure if you can Google up that info?

There is also a good site, " The Dog Food Advisor " that will give you much information on ingredients in different dog foods. This may be of help to you also? :)

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I think - that since the acquisition of said dog is still a few years off - how much a cup of food weighs in regards to how many cups to feed isn't -that- important.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't know how much food to give - what I'm saying is - when you have the dog and you buy him/her food - the food will have a "feeding guideline" that will give you an idea of how much food to give (though they aren't always accurate). It'll say "weight of dog at adulthood" and there will be a chart listing off pounds and then next to each amount it will give you an estimation of how much you should feed.

If you want an idea of how long a bag of food will last - I feed my 40-45 pound dog 2 1/2 cups of food a day. I buy her 16 pound bags of food and they last me about a month or so - give or take.

But really the key to knowing how much you should feed your dog comes from having the dog and getting to know him/her and basing it loosely off of the feeding charts.

I think since you're still very far away from actually getting dog you should be more concerned with learning about the breeds that you're interested in. Learning about all of the care that individual breeds need in terms of exercise and grooming - how the dog will fit into your family life.

But that's just my two cents :). Congratulations on your addition when he/she gets there!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats what we are currently researching what breeds would best fit our family

One of my possible options is fostering until we find our perfect dog.

And I just wanted to know if one bag a month would work lol because choosing a breed is something I am already doing I know what I am looking for I am thinking a boston would fit our life well.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Could always ask for opinions from people on the forum that might have the breeds you're interested in and they can tell you their experiences with that breed :).

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have already decided on a food. Evo. Blue Buffalo grain free is my back up and my vets agree. I do not feed just anything I more needed numbers because I do not want to be irresponsible and bring home a pet that I cant afford to feed Plus know how many bags I can expect to buy each month. i am looking into the best diets , flea treatments etc.

We have narrowed breeds down :) We like Havanese they are just hard to find but the EARLIEST we would bring one home is next christmas ( 2012)

I did decide on a wet diet supplemented with a good quality dry food :) We are also looking for enzymatic toothpaste so we will have a supplier since i plan to have a dental routine as well :)

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Oh thats awesome I was grossly overestimating lol I was going to get a 15 lb dog a 13lb bag of food monthly lol Btw your baby is adorable :)
Better to over-estimate and have too much money budgeted than under and not have enough.

You are doing awesome by planning out everything this far ahead. That's going to be one lucky dog.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I am trying I want my dog to have everything :) I am only 20 so my vets seem surprised that I stay on top of my kittens care.

I have even budgeted treats flea treatments toys I have a credit card for emergency vet care plus an extra bank account as a vet account. I am just trying to think if I am forgetting anything.

Does anyone feed Evo or blue Buffalo wilderness? What do you think of it? and that will only be half the dogs diet I decided to add canned food as well. Its the healthiest way to go :)

Ok Just laid out everything monthly ... Does this look about right to everyone? Btw the dog food is a 13 lb bag for a 15-30 lb dog ... We havent decided on a breed yet. Most likely a mix.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I am trying I want my dog to have everything :) I am only 20 so my vets seem surprised that I stay on top of my kittens care.

I have even budgeted treats flea treatments toys I have a credit card for emergency vet care plus an extra bank account as a vet account. I am just trying to think if I am forgetting anything.

Does anyone feed Evo or blue Buffalo wilderness? What do you think of it? and that will only be half the dogs diet I decided to add canned food as well. Its the healthiest way to go :)

Ok Just laid out everything monthly ... Does this look about right to everyone? Btw the dog food is a 13 lb bag for a 15-30 lb dog ... We havent decided on a breed yet. Most likely a mix.

wow. you are through. Reminds me of me.

Do general supplies fall into one of these categories or are they on another list?
You said you didn't want to forget anything so although it is not food related it may serve as a reference for you (although you may already have a list - in which case ignore this :p)
- leash, extra collar and tags
- jacket (depending on breed/fur type)
- harness
- OTC medications (such as aspirin and benadryl) and a "real" first aid kit (alot of the prepacked ones are missing items. You are better off making a "real" one yourself)
- muzzle (always good for emergency - sometime a severe injury will cause the dog to bite in defense even if the dog is normally well behaved)
- grooming equipment (depending on the breed/fur type will vary the tools), shampoo/conditioner, any faucet attachment to aid home bathing (even the most clean/natural not smelly dogs will need a bath if they get into something nasty) or the cost of grooming (depending on the breed/ fur type this could be monthly or you learn to do it yourself monthly)
- toys
- crate/x-pen
- baby gate
- bedding (you don't have to have this - my dogs fall asleep in the strangest places that do not look comfortable)

I can't think of anything else right now.

That is an awesome table.

·
Registered
539 Posts
You're like a crazy person ... I'm so jealous. Can you come organize my life? LOL

:)

EVO and Blue Buffalo are both fantastic foods.
As for flea/heartworm treatment you are going to want to do this all year long (no matter what anyone says about 6 months)... your best price is usually Amazon.com for the year supply.
You also need to deworm... some people do a dewormer 1x a year, some 2x a year... some as a need to basis after fecal testing is performed

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I am impressed! I am also young, at 21, and I think vets, etc, think I'm just "one of those owners" or whatever but are always amazed at how much I do know (of course I don't even let off 99% of the stuff I know, lol. I never wanna go into doctors and act like a know-it-all, they are the professionals!) But yeah, anyways, yay for another young responsible pet owner! We get a bad rep a lot of times. ;) Your dog is going to be very lucky!

I buy heartworm meds at the vet always. If your dog were to get heartworm while on meds, they will have to pay for it. If you don't buy it from a vet, there's no way to really prove it. I buy flea/tick on entirelypets.com.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I thought Revolution also prevented heartworms? Or Do I have it confused? I know it prevents Mites along with fleas.

@charis

leash , Microchip ( yes I do believe in microchips my cat also has one) , brush, bed , crate , collar I consider general and not needing to be listed. Baby gate will not be needed since we will be in an apartment there is nowhere without a door the dog cant go.

However this emergency kit and OTC medication I am very interested in.

I do Emma's ( My kitten) meds year round my vet also agree's with this and I buy her meds straight from the vet.

Like I said I want my dog to have the best no matter how long I have to wait.

I also plan on rescuing lol I love rescues :D

Thanks everyone I try :) I hope I can be the owner a dog with a bad past deserves.

Ok I was correct it is also a treatment/preventative for heartworms http://myverbosity.com/what-does-revolution-do-for-dogs/

its an all in one thats why my vets prefer it.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
@charis

leash , Microchip ( yes I do believe in microchips my cat also has one) , brush, bed , crate , collar I consider general and not needing to be listed. Baby gate will not be needed since we will be in an apartment there is nowhere without a door the dog cant go.

However this emergency kit and OTC medication I am very interested in.
I would suggest the book Field Guide to Dog First Aid (by Randy Acker, DVM). It is not a replacement for vet care but does have information that can get you through that heart pounding time before getting to a vet for an emergency and first aid if your out on a hike. We would all like to be able to get straight to the vet but it is better to be armed with information to span the time on the way to the office (or like us you are out hiking in the rockies). It also has a chart of medications safe for dogs, their dosages and what they are used for.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts