Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In one of my last posts I was chastised for expecting my then 8 week old puppy to walk around a pond because this may have been too much exercise for her and people were concerned that I would be damaging her joints.

This last week I have been crating her for 5 hours (with an hour break) and she is a complete energetic wreck by the time I get home to pay attention with her. Yesterday was particularly bad. I took her twice around the pond, played with her inside and then she took off at top speed running through my condo and literally, peed four times.

After an hour of continuous play, she took a short nap and then was back at it again, but this time her energy had turned destructive. I decided to walk her again until she showed signs of being tired. I estimate we walked 2.5 - 3 miles until I ended the walk because I was concerned that I was over exercising her.

Now I"m about to go home to the same thing. How much is too much? I don't want to hurt her joints or damage her body, but I need to get this energy out of her or she destroys things. The shorter (than the 3ish mile walk) exercise activities were just not enough ...

Please advise! She's a Cairn Terrier btw, and we know terriers are full of energy, that's why I got her.

·
Registered
705 Posts
What kind of training are you working on? Physical exercise is good but mental exercise can be a lot more for a puppy to handle. Have you tried playing some inside games in the morning or evening?

What tricks does she know? You can always teach her more and even if they are "useless pet tricks" they still get her thinking and reasoning. Sometimes, this will really tire out an exuberant puppy.

If she peed 4 times inside, I want to say she isn't 100% house-trained which begs the question of why she was running around without being monitored. Was her running around a signal she needed to go outside? Did you interrupt her "running around" behavior in the house to do something else?

Try playing mind games and "find it" games. Show her a piece of nice yummy stinky food (cheese, bit of meat, etc.). Have her follow you to another room and put her in a sit/stay or just put her in the room and close the door. Hide the treat somewhere easy for her to find it. Open the door and say "find it!". You can help her along, pointing at things, then finally point at the treat and say something excited "Wow, Arya, look at that!". Eventually, after a couple repetitions, she should be sniffing around and looking without too much help from you. You can hide the treat in harder to find places and then really get her working for it.

You can also do this with cups on the floor too. Get 3 cups and get a stinky treat. Put the treat under 1 of the cups. Tell her to find it. Switch up the order.

As far as the exercise, again, do what you want to do. 8 weeks is a baby compared to 12. If you guys have been building up some distance and you feel more comfortable in her abilities, then fine. Can she swim at all? That is always a good tiring, low impact exercise for dogs.

Also, train outside. Work on getting attention and focus outside with some food. Her reward can be to go sniff grass, walk around, etc. The more you get her mind thinking and working, the more tired she will be. A combination of some good physical exercise along with working her young, moldable mind will help take a lot of the edge off.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For training right now we're working on come, heal, sit and no. I can teach her random tricks but frequently she decides that she's unresponsive to treats and would rather do something else.

No, my puppy is not 100% potty trained, why was she running around the house unsupervised? She wasn't, I live in a studio and in a studio there is no such thing as unsupervised but she was running around like a manic while I was getting dressed after I got out of the shower (she was in the shower with me) so I could take her for a walk. It wasn't until I actually went to grab her to take her for the walk that I realized that during her laps she had peed 4 times. Given she's a puppy I think this was excitement pee. As soon as she started her running around like a manic I quickly threw my clothes on and went to take her outside so she could get her energy out there, but one can only get dressed so fast.

I love the find it idea, and I'll be trying that tonight for sure, thank you for that suggestion.

I don't know if she likes to swim or not but she seems to not mind the water. I don't have a place for her to go swimming now, I'm not comfortable taking her to the Bay beach near where I live until she's a little bit older. I might be able to find someone who has a pool they can let us use though because I think taking her swimming would be fun.

We have been working up the amount of exercise she gets. I take her for several walks a day but I never push her. When she's tired, she's tired and if it's during a walk, I carry her home.

Outside, lately, and this probably sounds stupid but she frequently loses interest in treats, I've been trying to desensitize her to the distracting outside world by playing fetch and letting her hunt bugs. When she's bug hunting we work on coming when called (when her leash is within reaching distance) and paying attention to mom.

She justtttt turned three months today so I'm going to attempt to train her much more diligently now and work on some skills she'll need to be well adjusted. On all walks I always am working on training her to keep her attention on me with treats.

Like I said, I just want to make sure I'm not damaging my puppy while I'm making sure she exhausts herself. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Keep in mind, too, that sometimes puppies that age can get really overtired/overstimulated, just like a toddler-age human. When Squash got super, super hyper or naughty at that age, 9/10 times I'd put him in his crate with a stuffed Kong and he'd be dead asleep within a minute.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Keep in mind, too, that sometimes puppies that age can get really overtired/overstimulated, just like a toddler-age human. When Squash got super, super hyper or naughty at that age, 9/10 times I'd put him in his crate with a stuffed Kong and he'd be dead asleep within a minute.
I can try that, but the issue is resulting from her being in the crate for 5 hours without exercise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts