Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, it has been awhile since I have fed strictly dry food, let alone dry food to only 2 dogs each just under or right around 40lbs. The one is a moderately active 3-4 yrs old Shepherd mix the other is a pit or terrier mix of some sort around 6 months with a slightly higher energy level. Taste of the wild High Pairie was being fed but owner changed back to Iams Naturals because a 5 lb bag no longer lasted her 2 weeks it only lasts 4 days... does anyone have dogs that are similar in age/energy levels that feed TOTW?? If so how much do you feed and how much do you pay a month for food. Because, I'm trying to rationalize the change. I should mention the inital change (done long before puppy was brought home) from Iams to TOTW was because of ongoing health reasons the older dog has (very sensitive system/problems with acid reflux) and she was unable to gain/maintain much needed weight on IAMS.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I would have trouble justifying the expenece feeding 40lbs dogs from a 5lbs bag too, considering any decent food around here a 5lbs bag costs around $20-25..though I could get a grocery store brand 5lbs bag for $10-12. my 30lbs Toller eats Presidents Choice Grain Free salmon, which is $20 for 10lbs and that lasts here about 2 weeks, she eats 1 1/4 cups per day. Gem eats Orijen 6 fish, she is 45lbs and eats 2 cups a day(+ Raw), I buy a 30lbs bag($78) and thats lasts 6 weeks or so. everyone else only eats kibble a couple times a week when they are at work with me, and they just get whatever isnt horrid and comes in a 15lbs bag for that lol.

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
My dog is 35lb on ToTW and I feed him roughly 1.25-1.5 cups a day. He's not a very active dog though and he usually gets a couple raw marrow bones daily which also have a good bit of meat and fat content.

I buy the 15lb bag and switch between high prairie and wetlands formulas which goes for $25-27 at my local hardware store. I believe the usual cost is $30 cause that's what it costs at the local natural pet food store. The pet food store also sends me coupons from time to time gives me 10-20% off anything I buy so for the most part I don't have trouble affording it on a college budget. The other 2 formulas have lower meat content so I haven't really looked at them and I don't know if they are cheaper.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Katie was eating TOTW Sierra Mountain or Pacific Stream until last month; she got about 2 cups a day plus some treats. She turned 1 in May, is about 43lbs, with an average activity level. We always bought the 30lb bags for about $45-49 (usually from a local feed store) and it lasted about 6 weeks.

We just switched her to Earthborn Coastal Catch and are feeding her a little less than 2 cups a day since it's a bit higher in calories. It's a little more expensive than TOTW, but she eats a little less and she seems to be doing better on it (smaller, firmer, less frequent stools), so it works out.

By the way, I grew up in central PA. It's a lovely area, but I can't say I miss the mountains in the winter :)

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Katie was eating TOTW Sierra Mountain or Pacific Stream until last month; she got about 2 cups a day plus some treats. She turned 1 in May, is about 43lbs, with an average activity level. We always bought the 30lb bags for about $45-49 (usually from a local feed store) and it lasted about 6 weeks.

We just switched her to Earthborn Coastal Catch and are feeding her a little less than 2 cups a day since it's a bit higher in calories. It's a little more expensive than TOTW, but she eats a little less and she seems to be doing better on it (smaller, firmer, less frequent stools), so it works out.

By the way, I grew up in central PA. It's a lovely area, but I can't say I miss the mountains in the winter :)
Yeah, I Hear you on the mountains, see I alternate between Raw and kibble based on the seasons. ( my family are hunters so alot of my RAW comes from them and I still haven't gotten around to getting a deepfreezer.) Any way, I used to feed TOTW, (now also switched to Earthborn) and I know a thirty pound bag use to last about 2 1/2 weeks with two 100+ dogs eating it. One is average energy the other is low energy, yet acts like he is starving all the time and will eat himself sick if you let him. ( yes we have had just about every test known to man run and everything shows good results.) He just likes his food.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I buy a 24 lb bag of Blue Wilderness for around $50-55. I recall TOTW being around the same price. I take advantage of sales and coupons, though. I may not need another bag for a month, but if the price is right this week, I'm buying it.

Kabota is 45lbs and I feed 1.5C per day, plus treats and a marrow bone 4 or 5 days a week. So for $55, I get probably 3 months of food. (I honestly don't know exactly.) I don't consider, in your case $55 for 6 weeks, to be outrageous.

However, if you can get to a Tractor Supply Store or Costco, they both have brands that are half that cost and almost as good. Kirkland and 4Health, iirc.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Ok, it has been awhile since I have fed strictly dry food, let alone dry food to only 2 dogs each just under or right around 40lbs. The one is a moderately active 3-4 yrs old Shepherd mix the other is a pit or terrier mix of some sort around 6 months with a slightly higher energy level. Taste of the wild High Pairie was being fed but owner changed back to Iams Naturals because a 5 lb bag no longer lasted her 2 weeks it only lasts 4 days... does anyone have dogs that are similar in age/energy levels that feed TOTW?? If so how much do you feed and how much do you pay a month for food. Because, I'm trying to rationalize the change. I should mention the inital change (done long before puppy was brought home) from Iams to TOTW was because of ongoing health reasons the older dog has (very sensitive system/problems with acid reflux) and she was unable to gain/maintain much needed weight on IAMS.
Maybe the dogs just plain don't like Iams so they don't eat as much? Of course, we won't talk about how much dog food I go through. But my mom's 2 dogs are 25 and 40 pounds, and both eat 1 cup a day (the smaller one is a lot more active, LOL) of a mid-grade food, usually Diamond Naturals or 4Health. There are usually about 4 cups per pound, so 20 cups in a 5-pound bag. 2 cups a day, that's 10 days worth. So why was the TOTW going so fast? Does she free-feed?

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe the dogs just plain don't like Iams so they don't eat as much? Of course, we won't talk about how much dog food I go through. But my mom's 2 dogs are 25 and 40 pounds, and both eat 1 cup a day (the smaller one is a lot more active, LOL) of a mid-grade food, usually Diamond Naturals or 4Health. There are usually about 4 cups per pound, so 20 cups in a 5-pound bag. 2 cups a day, that's 10 days worth. So why was the TOTW going so fast? Does she free-feed?
I really don't know??? that is what I'm trying to figure out??? I do know that because of the shepherd's digestion issues she can not free feed, so she says, although I think she would prefer too... She is one of those people that really does care for her animals but just has no clue. When she first started having issues with the Shepherd I told her it could be a diet related issue. She agreed and asked for suggestions on better foods. I gave her a rather lengthy list and it still took her over a year. With constant trips to the vet for treatment and medications etc. BEFORE she decided to switch.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Well, unless she has a physical problem that prevents her from lifting heavy things, tell her you know how she can get TOTW for half price! LOL. Buying the largest bag cuts the per-pound price by half. But she must have been free-feeding or at least giving them as much as they would eat at every meal if the bag was running out that fast.

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
It seems like costco actually has a grain free dog food now that's probably comparable to ToTW Sierra Mountain or Pacific Stream. I haven't been to costco in a while but I'd assume the price is cheaper than ToTW.

Otherwise yeah definitely should be trying the 15lb to 30lb bags for kibble of any kind especially if they are going through 5lb in 4 days. 5lb in 4 days isn't necessarily too much since if you go by typical activity level kcal/day values for 40lb dogs, 2 dogs will finish 5lbs of ToTW High Prairie in roughly 4 1/2 days. Not saying the kcal dog food calculators are super trustworthy though since I've always only fed about 75% of the calculated amounts and my dog haven't lost any weight in years. He's a healthy weight and maybe even slightly plump.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts