Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have many goals for my dog that I want to achieve. I just dont know how many of those things I can teach her at once. I want her to learn many tricks, and to be obedient even when there are many other distractions. I want to train her to be literally the perfect dog. I have loads of time to work with her luckily and she is super smart so I have no doubt she can achieve this. I am having some issues with her, but am trying a new training technique and it already seems to be working.
I guess my question is, can I teach her to do like multiple tricks at the same time, while she is learning obedience and basic dog stuff?? Will it be too overwhelming for her and she will be confused?? I am a first time dog owner, and she is 6 months right now almost 7.

Also if anyone has any impulse control games that I could play with her or stuff on mental stimuli, would be great!! She is a very very high energy dog and I would like to work on it while she is young.

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
they are learning every second.. and by doing it everyday they get better or worse from what they learn... stress, pressure, frustration can hurt you. trying to do advance before you have the beginner foundation perfected will also hurt you. I love pairing obstacles with OB skills because GSD's are great multi taskers.. they love learning and doing at the same time.. I like to expose them to activities that keep them moving and working on focus it's never about correction for being sloppy while learning.. they will get sharper as time goes by...

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
You will never have the perfect dog. There is no such thing. Aim for a happy, well adjusted, confident dog, but don't drive yourself crazy or harm your dog aiming for something no one could ever achieve.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Patricia! I know not to do advanced stuff before she has even learned the basics, because the basics are used in advanced tricks. I make sure I stay calm, I know dogs dont get things right away, it takes lots of time and work.
I have set up a small agility course in the yard out of stuff I had lying around. She is a very athletically built dog so the agility training has been great! I just didnt want to confuse her by teaching her shake at the same time she was learning obedience. As for keeping her moving, we go on bike rides and rollerblading, this is good for her to learn focus especially when people are working in their yards or other dogs are out walking. She is a skittish, alert dog but she has come so far since I got her at 6 weeks. I have started working with her on puzzle games, today we tried the cupcake tray and tennis balls. She had no clue what I was trying to show her, she kept looking at me like I was stupid, or she would just grab a tennis ball and try to get me to throw it LOL. Its a process. :)

Amaryllis I think you misunderstood me. What you described is a perfect dog. I didnt mean perfect as in without faults and knows everything. To me my dog is already perfect, she just doesnt know how to show it. I would never harm her or become so obsessed with something like this. :) I love her too much. Its a learning process for the both of us.

Also is my dog too young to have PB in her kong toy??

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
You can have tons of tricks going on at the same time, but I would limit the number you work on during one session. So your dog might be learning not to jump up, how to walk on a leash, and recall, while you're also teaching shake and roll over and other cute tricks. It's no big deal for them. But you don't want to cram all of those things into one training session.

Also, peanut butter is fine for any age dog even baby puppies.

·
Registered
9,341 Posts
First teach Sit - This teaches the dog that a word has meaning. Wait at least a day, to let the dog sleep on the lesson. You may want to practice for a week. Then, teach Down - The dog may get confused, b/c words mean Sit :) .. So, now you teach Down, then you re-teach Sit, so that the dog learns that different words have different meanings. Practice these behaviors in many different locations - living room, kitchen, at the door, at the gate, in the car, in the back yard, then in the front yard, to help the dog generalize. Later you can practice these with distractions.

On the other hand, if you are experienced, some folks suggest teaching as many as 6 behaviors in one sessions, refining as needed.

If you use treats, cut them into dime-sized or smaller pieces. The idea is NOT to give the dog a reward that takes a while to chew, disrupting the rhythm and repetitions of training. Instead, you want to provide a tiny taste that say "Yes" to the inexperienced dog.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Please don't have your puppy jump or run with you yet. She will jump and run enough on her own. It isn't good for growing bones to push past what she does on her own. If she is a medium sized dog usually growth plates are closed before 18 months then you can work on running and jumping things.

I'd work on balance tricks once she understands sit and down and I think wait and touch your hand are really great cues for dogs to understand as well. Work on getting her feet in small boxes and on top of platforms. There is a puppy shiba inu on my street that waits for his owner to finish conversations on top of fire hydrants! Too cute.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She knows sit and shake (which we say "make a deal" instead :p) She also knows "leave it" and she knows that when I whistle she is supposed to come, but she purposely ignores me -.- We are working on down right now and stay she is doing pretty well with that, she is learning how to balance the treat on her nose, which we started doing when she was 8 weeks old, she seemed to be a natural with this. She gets bored of her treats and so sometimes I will have to use small pieces of raw meat to train her. She is pretty easily distracted so I am working a lot on keeping her attention during walks when other dogs and people walk by. I have been switching off with tug-of-war as a reward and treats. She has a passion for toys LOL.

I have to take her on bike rides and walks because unfortunately her yard isnt big enough for her to get the exercise she really needs. She absolutely loves to run. She is a lab/aussie mix and weighs 42 pounds right now. She has very long legs. I am looking into getting a small agility course, but she needs more obedience before I train her on that.

Thanks for all of the advice and tips!! If yall have anymore Nova and I would greatly appreciate it :)

·
Registered
813 Posts
unless you whistle exactly the same way every time, she either might not know what different whistles mean OR she doesn't have high enough motivation to come to you given other distractions. You have to make coming to you the GREATEST thing ever no matter what she is chasing/smelling/looking at, or else she'll do the other thing instead. Also I echo Kathyy in saying please don't run or bike or jump with your puppy. She is too young for intense exercise. If you are doing lots of training, a calm 30 minute or hour WALK every day will suffice while she is still growing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts