Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just to start off, I wanted to say that I have NEVER changed a pet's name after owning it for some time. If any name changes are to be done, it's done when we first get them.

Marlin's name has never stuck with me well at all. The name sounds far to similar to the name of an uncle who's responsible for the death of my old dog, and who I no longer speak with. When we first adopted Marlin, I was considering changing his name, but given how well he knew his name that he had for 6 years, I decided to bare through it and figured I'd come to accept it as my love and relationship with him grew.
I've come to greatly love this dog very,very much and our relationship, while still growing, is very strong. I still hate his name and cringe every time I say it.

Earliar today, Marlin lost his name tag while out running and we have to go get another made, and well, I wonder if this is a sign. What do you guys think? Is it to late to change his name?

EDIT: Incase people missed my post below, we went ahead and changed his name to Ma'ii (Ma-ee) which is Navajo for "Coyote". He picked it up in a matter of 10 minutes, so we're sticking with that <3

·
Super Moderator
11,838 Posts
I can't imagine how this would be immoral.

I've changed names for two different dogs. One was because his original name was stupid. (A beagle name Huckleberry Hound. I never did like Hanna Barbera cartoons.) The second because she was a stray and I had not idea what her name was. (Turns out she was nine and her old name was Shiloh.) In both cases, it took the dog about 12 hours to learn his new name. (Two mealtimes.) I don't think either one was traumatized.

I don't believe dogs place the same kind of sentimental attachment to names that we humans do.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think your reading too much into this man, the dog doesn't care one way or the other what his name is so its really up you :)
I know that, lol. And it's funny because in the past I've renamed cats, birds, rats, and other pets without any issues what so ever, but I've never renamed a dog, especially after having them this long. But I've never felt this opposing over a name before either.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, well, I suppose we're going to rename him then :) We've had him for 6 months now and I'm declaring him officially mine. Anyone have any good name suggestions?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Good. Go for it. Definitely no moral reason not to. If anything, I'd feel odd at first if I'd been calling a dog something for 6 months and then suddenly changed. But of course, that feeling very well may not be there if the name change was for such reasons as yours. He has a little bit of a devilish, slight evil look to him. Maybe something fitting of such, a sneaky-sounding name of some sort? Particularly if his personality fits it.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Well our new dog Pierce had his name (Percy) for 20 months but after we moved him in home his name was changed and he could care less as long as we do not call him late for dinner.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I wish we had changed our family dog's name. He was a chocolate lab that we got from a newspaper ad around 6 years old. His name was Buckeye. I hated that name every day of his life. Not to mention that everybody and their mother had a chocolate lab named Buckeye in that area. If you want to change his name go for it. Although I don't have any suggestions really, haha.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I don't think its wrong to change their names. All of my dogs know their name as well as their own respective nicknames. I personally haven't had any problem with my dogs learning their new name. All it takes is about 15mins and high value treats.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Honestly, half the time I don't even call my dogs by their names, its "fat boy" or "little girl" or "butthead" something along those lines lol.

·
Registered
463 Posts
"So, he's a combination of an English nobleman and a French-back alley whore" - Husband, discussing Marlin's ancestry

So why not call him Jack? a little to dark? lol

(Sorry I didn't know if I could quote a sig-line so I just copied and pasted!!)

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"So, he's a combination of an English nobleman and a French-back alley whore" - Husband, discussing Marlin's ancestry

So why not call him Jack? a little to dark? lol

(Sorry I didn't know if I could quote a sig-line so I just copied and pasted!!)
b

LOL Maybe. A little to over used in this area though.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Is there anything you've been calling him? When I got Moose, his name was Brutus, and it just sort of naturally morphed into Moose. I never really made the conscious decision to change his name, it just happened.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Of course you can! I changed my child's name when he was 5 months old. LOL:becky:

·
Registered
59 Posts
I see no reason why not! as far as suggestions I got nothing! Buddy is what they called him when he born and I couldn't think of anything better, he was my lil buddy! So Buddy stuck. Novie is the name of a river here in Alaska and i have always liked it. And she Novie just fit her.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We've decided on a new name. Marlin's new name is Ma'ii (Ma-ee) which is Navajo (the local native american tribe here in northern AZ) for "coyote". I know a lot of people on here and in general consider Coyotes to be huge pests, especially those of you who are ranchers or live in rural areas. I've had my fair share of run ins with them myself, but the fact is, I've always greatly respected them, more so then any other wild animal. I chose the name for him because of this and his wild dog routes. I was warned by my husband that here in the south west the name has a sort of negative vibe to it and is associated with tricksters and masters of deception and manipulation. That's my dog in a nut shell!

So Ma'ii it is :)

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Just saw this .... I like the name you chose. I cannot see where it hurts a thing to change a name. Leeo has four different names and he comes to all of them just the same. I don't think he is offended. :)

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Why not change the name? The dog won't care whether you call him Marlin, cookie, nutjob, spacecake, whatever you can think of :p, he'll learn soon enough that when that word is said, his attention is to be directed at you. A name is an attention-grabber. My previous dog was called Charlie, but his name may as well have been Cookie or Fatso and it wouldn't have made a difference to him. It's just that we preferred Charlie :p Dogs don't feel emotionally attached to their name, whatever we decide to call them.

If you feel more comfortable with Ma'ii, then go for it :)

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Why not change the name? The dog won't care whether you call him Marlin, cookie, nutjob, spacecake, whatever you can think of :p, he'll learn soon enough that when that word is said, his attention is to be directed at you. A name is an attention-grabber. My previous dog was called Charlie, but his name may as well have been Cookie or Fatso and it wouldn't have made a difference to him. It's just that we preferred Charlie :p Dogs don't feel emotionally attached to their name, whatever we decide to call them.

If you feel more comfortable with Ma'ii, then go for it :)
He learned REAL fast actually. Like in a matter of 10 minutes :D We're updating his info with the vets right now.

EDIT: Er, tomorrow. Forgot it's Sunday and the vets are closed lol

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
He learned REAL fast actually. Like in a matter of 10 minutes :D We're updating his info with the vets right now.

EDIT: Er, tomorrow. Forgot it's Sunday and the vets are closed lol
Wonderful news :) See, it's just that easy. Have you been fretting over this issue for a long time?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts